Doodles 12: Just like clockwork.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Doodles 12: Just like clockwork.

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:05 am

Okay my last pic post for a while I think but I'll keep up the experimenting.

It's been a long time since I've drawn a real person so:
ACEO_TaylorSwift_1.jpg
ACEO_TaylorSwift_1.jpg (110.42 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Komiyan on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't post here enough! Character development for a thing. I don't get to draw modern people much so I went nuts with the piercings and hair dye and tattoos and such. This is Alexa, she likes baking and winning at things. Her tattoo is the prince of rabbits from Watership Down!
Attachments
alexa.jpg
alexa.jpg (121.17 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby IVstudios on Thu May 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Rough sketches for an illustration for the GAG newsletter. The topic is computer frustration and technical overload.

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby K-Dawg on Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 am

So I discovered an old side comic I did about 5 years ago. I've decided to resurrect it so behold the comic known as "Pilot":

http://concombremelon.tumblr.com/post/49489813309/so-this-was-the-short-comic-i-was-talking-about

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby Terotrous on Fri May 03, 2013 5:38 pm

You know I have a fondness for any comic that begins with a small child being hurled into the sun!
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby robotthepirate on Sat May 04, 2013 2:54 am

This is the prototype for one of my back buttons for the site I'm designing

Apart from error at the end of the loop (which is going to be harder to fix that it looks) I'm curious what people think both in a how it looks and how practical it would be to have a 64-frame animated gif for 10 buttons on every page of the comic. The fact that photobucket shrunk it from its original size makes me skeptical of how practical it would be. The finished buttons wouldn't be quite this obvious as 3/8 would be hidden by the comic.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Sat May 04, 2013 5:55 am

robotthepirate wrote:This is the prototype for one of my back buttons for the site I'm designing

Apart from error at the end of the loop (which is going to be harder to fix that it looks) I'm curious what people think both in a how it looks and how practical it would be to have a 64-frame animated gif for 10 buttons on every page of the comic. The fact that photobucket shrunk it from its original size makes me skeptical of how practical it would be. The finished buttons wouldn't be quite this obvious as 3/8 would be hidden by the comic.

Loading time could be a bit of a pain for some people but I do like the concept.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby robotthepirate on Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 am

RobboAKAscooby wrote:
robotthepirate wrote:This is the prototype for one of my back buttons for the site I'm designing

Loading time could be a bit of a pain for some people but I do like the concept.

It goes in complete defiance of the dial-up club consideration doesn't it. I think I underestimated the file size that would be involved.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby Terotrous on Sat May 04, 2013 11:31 am

Yeah, a 200k navigational button is kind of crazy.

And alternative is possibly to use Flash, a flash file containing a small rotational animation like that should be really tiny, though depending on how many buttons you have it might become processor intensive.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sat May 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Find a different solution for the "Back" letters, and you can animate the wheels with 3-4 frames.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 am

McDuffies wrote:Find a different solution for the "Back" letters, and you can animate the wheels with 3-4 frames.

That's an idea, you could get rid of the letters completely and just use arrows all round, people would still get the point.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun May 05, 2013 2:56 pm

Or add "Back" somewhere else, like at the bottom... animate it a bit to fit in...
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon May 06, 2013 2:02 pm

You could use mouse-over code so that the animated gif only loads when the reader moves their mouse over a normal image. That way, the reader doesn't have to wait for the page to load. It might also be fun for the reader to make the wheel spin and stop with the mouse.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby robotthepirate on Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Terotrous wrote:
Yeah, a 200k navigational button is kind of crazy.

And alternative is possibly to use Flash, a flash file containing a small rotational animation like that should be really tiny, though depending on how many buttons you have it might become processor intensive.

Flash is an entirely different world for me. Something that people seem to use so easily but I look at and go "eh?"

McDuffies wrote:Find a different solution for the "Back" letters, and you can animate the wheels with 3-4 frames.

RobboAKAscooby wrote:That's an idea, you could get rid of the letters completely and just use arrows all round, people would still get the point.
McDuffies wrote:Or add "Back" somewhere else, like at the bottom... animate it a bit to fit in...

Hmm, good points. I will play around.

LibertyCabbage wrote:You could use mouse-over code so that the animated gif only loads when the reader moves their mouse over a normal image. That way, the reader doesn't have to wait for the page to load. It might also be fun for the reader to make the wheel spin and stop with the mouse.

I'd thought of that but wouldn't it load the massive images even if you didn't hover over them?

Cheers guys.
I'll have to play around with it, make a mix of them all. The biggest trick'll be having the navigation labels separate from the animation but seemingly connected.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby robotthepirate on Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 am

Also, if you'll excuse the double post...

What would people say is the upper data limit for a comic webpage?
I've got about 10 links per page so I don't want to go overboard.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby IVstudios on Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 am

It's difficult to set a hard and fast rule on how large a web pages data should be because so many people have different connections and devices. A good rule of thumb is that it should take no longer than a second for your page to load on an average setup.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri May 10, 2013 10:04 am

robotthepirate wrote:I'd thought of that but wouldn't it load the massive images even if you didn't hover over them?
I've noticed a moment of lag between the first mouseover and when the animation starts, so I don't think it's actually loaded initially.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri May 10, 2013 1:40 pm

robotthepirate wrote:Also, if you'll excuse the double post...

Links with banners or what? Cause you can put hundreds of simple textual links without significant froblems with size.
If you have a page dedicated to links, go nuts. If you're putting links to main page, filter to, like, 10 favourites, simply for the reasons of focus.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby robotthepirate on Sat May 11, 2013 4:15 pm

McDuffies wrote:
robotthepirate wrote:Also, if you'll excuse the double post...

Links with banners or what? Cause you can put hundreds of simple textual links without significant froblems with size.
If you have a page dedicated to links, go nuts. If you're putting links to main page, filter to, like, 10 favourites, simply for the reasons of focus.

Image links

the current idea is as follows
The links all have labelled levers, when the users mouse hovers over the image the lever flips and the cogs turn.

I've a few kinks to iron out before its finished but the unanimated version (currently just existing on my hard drive because the S-C website is still claiming its forbidden) looks cool. I've set it up with centralised absolute positioning, that took a while to get my brain right for.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby peterabnny on Tue May 14, 2013 9:18 am

Well, whaddaya know, I guess I didn't release anything upcoming, did I? Here's proof that I'm at least trying to get new art out:

I have the pencil done for the top tier. Now just need to do the bottom and start inking. Hope to do that tonight as long as the Pens aren't playing... :wink:
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion