What made YOU happy today?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: What made YOU happy today?

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Sat May 12, 2012 9:15 am

You mean The Moomins?
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby McDuffies on Sat May 12, 2012 11:35 am

That's cause you watch hybrid japanese co-production cartoons instead of reading original comics (which are awesome). We know that japanese make everything weird (like, idunno, soviet prisons).
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby robotthepirate on Sat May 12, 2012 2:41 pm

MariaAndMichelle wrote:You mean The Moomins?

The half cow people. Whatever. I'd google how to spell it but then it might show me pictures and that's a no go.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby Risky on Sat May 12, 2012 3:39 pm

robotthepirate wrote:
MariaAndMichelle wrote:You mean The Moomins?

The half cow people. Whatever. I'd google how to spell it but then it might show me pictures and that's a no go.

Mooman of CG fame.
Tauren of WoW extraction.
Moomon (Praise be to Aurox. Acow.)
Moomin, apparently?
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby IVstudios on Sat May 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Just got back from the city, the play was awesome. :D

MariaAndMichelle wrote:...is it Mooman?

Nah, no one CG related. He was my pen pal back in like 5th grade and his mom and my mom always exchange a bunch of candy around Christmas (Scotland has awesome chocolate :D ). Now we're Facebook friends, this is actually the first time we've met in person though.

Tomorrow we're going to Great Adventure and them Monday back into the city just to walk around and do some sightseeing.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ekolter on Sun May 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Hung out with the legendary Birdie in Jacksonville, Florida, today. :D
Ekolter
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon May 21, 2012 7:20 am

Ekolter wrote:Hung out with the legendary Birdie in Jacksonville, Florida, today. :D

Sweet!

Did you remind him to stop by the forums once in a while? ;)
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Crossposting this message from another forum, it's the same story so it don't matter none.

I got this spontaneous urge to read this terrible, several hundred page long anthology I wrote starting when I was 13. It's absolutely abysmal but I want to keep reading it. There's things I've forgotten about but then come right back in a snap as soon as I read them. Characters who were introduced once and never again, but I still picture them clear in my head. Over the ~50 pages I've read so far, there has been a teaspoon's worth of actual funny material that could be used outside of this context.

But I'm not reading it to dig for gold. I just had a craving to revisit that time in my life, which was disproportionately well-documented. I kept diaries at the time but this story contains mostly the same material and is a lot less depressing. It's no gem, I had this bad habit of including millions of unimportant details that had no relevance or humor to add, but in a strange way it's really representative of my life at that time. It's fascinating to me. Sometimes I forget I ever was 13 or 14 years old, or forget just how "old" a person feels at that age. I look at kids that age now and just see them as that, as kids, but the seeds of adult mentality have been planted. This story is pedantic and terrible and reminds me of what a horrible person I was at that age, but it's oddly comforting to me. Both in a "look how far I've come" way and a "I guess things will work out okay" way.

It helps that it's a slice-of-life high school drama type story and I kept putting references to popular songs and brand names of the time. It's bizarre to think that these things are no longer relevant, that nearly a decade has passed. Things and lifestyles I'd long forgotten about-remember life before Facebook and iPods?- but somehow seem so accessible still, if I wander down the memory path a little bit.

Good god, I want to just devour this thing whole, just shove the whole thing right away and then filter it through my baleen bristles and savor what remains of quality. I want to be done reading it because it's so terrible, but I'm relishing it because the nostalgia is so pure, like finest maple syrup, just a taste of it brings back such strong memories and feelings. My aspirations from the time, my thought processes, the things I held dear and the things I should have cared more about.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 pm

If only you could have gotten your parents to publish it you could have been Paolini before Paolini was Paolini. :wink:

I keed, but I feel the exact same way when I look back on some of my really old comics. I mean talk about bad. :shifty: I want to travel back in time and rub it in my stupid face. "LOOK HOW MUCH YOU SUUUUUUUUCK!"
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu May 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Right???

It's like, I almost want to post excerpts of it here to share how bad it is, but it's not even bad enough to come back 'round to being funny again. It's just long winded and terrible.

You know, at one point I started converting it to comic form but didn't get very far because of the long-windedness and unnecessary longness. I tried to edit as I went along but there really is so little actual content among the millions of details that there wasn't much worth keeping for the comic, so I gave up.

Maybe I'll try to scan a few of those pages though. I forget whether it predates BGA chronologically so I'm not sure whether it's artistically better or worse than that; I can attest that BGA is lightyears more well-written than this nameless story. If I find anything good I'll post it, though.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu May 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Ha ha!
Cuddly you inspired me to look back through my screenplay archives (especially the many iterations of Flying Tigers), man did I write some crap.
Even funnier are some of the notes and ideas that never made it to the scripting stage.

NO I'm not going to post anything.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu May 24, 2012 6:50 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Ha ha!
Cuddly you inspired me to look back through my screenplay archives (especially the many iterations of Flying Tigers), man did I write some crap.
Even funnier are some of the notes and ideas that never made it to the scripting stage.

NO I'm not going to post anything.

It's so much fun isn't it???? magoodness

We're going to have to have another character evolution thread. We haven't had one since the last time i made one, when i was a freshblood back in '09.

edited to add because i feel the need to keep you guys updated even though it literally means nothing to anyone- i'm getting to a part that actually has some pretty good quotes now. The plot is still shit, nothing's happening and nothing's ever going to happen, but there've been some good lines. Also depressingly some storylines that parallel present situations in my life.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri May 25, 2012 4:40 am

My teenage work splits strictly between works of some pretension and purely comical works. First ones obviously suck, and I'd never finish them anyway, but I am always surprised at how fun the other group is. I'm convinced that I've lost ability to draw such funny, genuinely anarchic comics (yes I've always drawn comics, not your fancy novels and screenplays). But my jam entries are somewhat in the same vein, I guess.
The most ridiculous thing is that single most important influence on those comics was this comic. Now there's something I can't bare to read nowadays.
I'm planning to use some of my old stuff for a new comic project via a partial autobiography of some sort. It's a kind of tone that'd be hard to get right now, and it probably represents those years better than anything.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Laemkral on Fri May 25, 2012 6:52 pm

IT IS TOWEL DAY!! I'm watching "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and I start my annual reread of the trilogy tonight!
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat May 26, 2012 9:56 pm

I had a really nice time at my friend's graduation party, and am proud of myself for not needing to consult the GPS on the drive there or home.

I slept in until noon, but I feel absolutely exhausted now anyway. Time to hit the hay- this has been a very long 14 hours :lol:
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun May 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Gin and Tonic. Gin and tonics make me happy. :D
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun May 27, 2012 5:12 pm

I became an uncle.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sun May 27, 2012 8:32 pm

McDuffies wrote:I became an uncle.

Now your avatar is almost correct!!

congrats McUncle
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm glad to have spent the entire day by myself in my apartment slacking off. Had no obligations. Did have lots of work today. But I couldn't be buggered on it. So I just did nothing. It was magnificent. I miss these days.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Mon May 28, 2012 4:13 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:congrats McUncle

Thanks ya. Also I realize that terms for family relationships in english are way more vague than those in my language.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion