What made YOU happy today?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Re: What made YOU happy today?

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

IVstudios wrote:Finally got power back.
me too!!

We lost it last Monday at 8:30 and got it back sunday night while we were eating dinner XD FiOS- and therefore phone, internet, and television- we didn't get back til today.

So hey guys!!! Glad to be back :lol:
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

People are losing and getting back powers... I feel like I'm in a DC comic...

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Damn, is it just me or are there more spammers than usual? Since I got my internet back it's like there's always 5 or six spammers online while I am :(
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

The US election made me happy today.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

Cope
Incompetent Monster

Dodged a bullet there.

Post by Cope »

I'm happy the less terrible candidate won.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Damn, is it just me or are there more spammers than usual? Since I got my internet back it's like there's always 5 or six spammers online while I am :(
Yeah, much more.

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

If this keeps up we're gonna need a new clubhouse. :( One that actually updates it's phpBB.

LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Post by LibertyCabbage »

Terotrous wrote:The US election made me happy today.
Cope wrote:I'm happy the less terrible candidate won.
Yeah, I hope the GOP's starting to learn its lesson that it's gonna keep losing if it keeps nominating duds.
IVstudios wrote:If this keeps up we're gonna need a new clubhouse. :( One that actually updates it's phpBB.
Yeah, maybe. Sometimes there's so much spam that I just come back later when it's cleaned up. I imagine it must look pretty unappealing to newbies.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I'm cleaning up two or three times a day (except when I have a specially lazy day) and cleaning lasts up to half an hour. They start appearing again literally minutes from when I leave, and of course, they pile up when I sleep, which is when americans would potentially want to post. I'm thinking on just giving up on forums where there's a little traffic and just keep cleaning GD, help and TT&T.

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

McDuffies wrote:I'm cleaning up two or three times a day (except when I have a specially lazy day) and cleaning lasts up to half an hour. They start appearing again literally minutes from when I leave, and of course, they pile up when I sleep, which is when americans would potentially want to post. I'm thinking on just giving up on forums where there's a little traffic and just keep cleaning GD, help and TT&T.
Wow, I thought that's already what you were doing D:

Speaking of updating the board, what's the reason it can't be done? Is it possible to get in touch with The Man and have The Man fix it?

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: Wow, I thought that's already what you were doing D:
I'm not cleaning Hosted Communities though.
Speaking of updating the board, what's the reason it can't be done? Is it possible to get in touch with The Man and have The Man fix it?
Last time we spoke to Kisai about it she said we were no more than a few updates behind and if we updated it wouldn't help with spam anyway. I would have done it at least to see if it helps some, but who asks me. RedWolf was here a few weeks ago, but apparently just to post something in Help.

Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ahaugen »

maybe we should all just migrate back to the chat room

irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

LibertyCabbage wrote:Yeah, I hope the GOP's starting to learn its lesson that it's gonna keep losing if it keeps nominating duds.
Yeah, it turns out that excluding women, blacks, latinos, arabs, immigrants, gays, the poor, veterans, and the educated somehow doesn't leave you with enough to win. Who'd have thought?

McDuffies wrote:I'm cleaning up two or three times a day (except when I have a specially lazy day) and cleaning lasts up to half an hour. They start appearing again literally minutes from when I leave, and of course, they pile up when I sleep, which is when americans would potentially want to post. I'm thinking on just giving up on forums where there's a little traffic and just keep cleaning GD, help and TT&T.
So can't we update PHPBB or something? Cause just cleaning up the forum constantly isn't a solution. They're just sending more and more spambots. Either we prevent them from being created or we're going to be overrun.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

Terotrous wrote: So can't we update PHPBB or something? Cause just cleaning up the forum constantly isn't a solution. They're just sending more and more spambots. Either we prevent them from being created or we're going to be overrun.
I have only partial access to admin board, all I can do is keep cleaning. If we want phpbb updated, we're gonna have to ask one of real admins to do it.

Edit:
Version we're running is 3.0.10 which dates from january this year, the latest is 3.0.11.

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Wow, that... is more recent than I expected :eyebrow: This is the only forum where I've seen this much spam ever.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

We may indeed be setting some kind of record.

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Post by IVstudios »

McDuffies wrote: Edit:
Version we're running is 3.0.10 which dates from january this year, the latest is 3.0.11.
Huh, I had no idea we were so current.

I've brought this up in the past, but I don't remember what the answer was so I'll re-bring it up. I've seen some forums that require a users first post to be approved by an admin before it will appear. I don't know it that's any easier on the admins than deleting spam, but at least it would keep the spam invisible.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

IVstudios wrote:
McDuffies wrote: Edit:
Huh, I had no idea we were so current.

I've brought this up in the past, but I don't remember what the answer was so I'll re-bring it up. I've seen some forums that require a users first post to be approved by an admin before it will appear. I don't know it that's any easier on the admins than deleting spam, but at least it would keep the spam invisible.
That seems like a good solution to me. If anything, forums would be clean for other users.

LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Post by LibertyCabbage »

IVstudios wrote: I've brought this up in the past, but I don't remember what the answer was so I'll re-bring it up. I've seen some forums that require a users first post to be approved by an admin before it will appear. I don't know it that's any easier on the admins than deleting spam, but at least it would keep the spam invisible.
I'm all for it. From here: "Administration Control Panel > General >>Board Configuration> Post Settings > Enable queued posts:set this to 1." Somebody get it done, please.

Code: Select all

./language/en/posting.php 'POST_STORED_MOD' => 'This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable.',
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Sucks for the non-spammers who might get lumped in with the spammers, though. However, it's probably much easier for McD/an admin to see only one spammer post and sort through that one post in comparison with however many others each day and know it's a spammer than have them pooping up all over the place.

not sure if what i typed make sense but let's pretend~