Page 1 of 1
Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:31 pm
by Bustertheclown
I hope you all went and got yours! I went to two different shops, one of which I swore I would never return to, and hadn't returned to for years. At the first shop, my regular spot, I got three comics for free; Dark Horse's Conan, Red 5 Comics' Atomic Robo, and Top Shelf's Owly and Friends. Then, I rummaged through the quarter bins, and came away with a $5 stack of comics. At the loathsome shop, I picked up Drawn & Quarterly's Gekiga!, and Bongo Comics' Free-For-All!. Damn this shop's black soul, they also had Darth Vader and Boba Fett stop by for photo ops, and they are the only place in all of my city to carry Marvel Legends Superhero Showdown action figures, which they were selling for a Free Comic Day promo price of $7.50, forcing me to spend money there.
It was especially cool to see so many people in the shops, many of whom brought their girlfriends and kids! Here's a picture of Darth Vader and a cute little girl in a cape, whom he has turned to the Dark Side. What a fun day!
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:41 pm
by Tim
I don't normally get comics anyway, and the store I went to didn't have anything particular I would've wanted. But, I got my Free Comic Book Day Iron Man Heroclix piece!
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:58 pm
by Axonite
I didn't think it was as good a selection of books as last year (not as much I was interested in, anyway), but I did pick up a few things.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:10 pm
by Tystarr
I'm so mad I couldn't get to a comic book shop this year!!
I ruined a three year tradition.

Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:04 am
by Terotrous
I only found out about it today, IE, the day after the actual event.
Did Comic Genesis put out a book this year?
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:24 pm
by Dragonkingdoms
No, and I bet a lot of people didn't get a free comic that day out of spite.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:22 pm
by Bustertheclown
Dragonkingdoms wrote:No, and I bet a lot of people didn't get a free comic that day out of spite.
As much as I sympathize with our side of that debacle, I find such activity to be a little silly. Hate Diamond. By all means, hate that monster. However, Free Comic Book Day is an opportunity for local businesses to gain exposure and support. That's why I've always honored the idea, and celebrated the day. Not showing up and taking part doesn't do a damned thing to the big guys. It's just promo material for them. For me, it's all about showing my local shops my gratitude and loyalty for the specialized service they provide for guys like me.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:50 am
by Yeahduff
Huh. Guess I missed some drama up in here.
Anyway, the store I went to was lame so I got XMen, Tiny Titans, and Hellboy (the only one I was actually interested in). If I had more time that day I would've went to a good shop.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:25 pm
by Jackhass
All the free comics were gone by the time I got to my shop! That's okay though...nice to see it was a success. I've been going to the same shop for 15 years plus and there were a few times business looked a bit iffy for them, but it's been doing better in the past few years. They're the only comic shop in a bout a 200 mile radius, so if they closed I'd be screwed.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:00 pm
by War
Dragonkingdoms wrote:No, and I bet a lot of people didn't get a free comic that day out of spite.
What.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:41 pm
by BrownEyedCat
I just plain missed it. I was so used to it being held on Cinco de Mayo that I didn't even think to look it up . . .
There are probably still some random free comics at the shops, but probably only the more mainstream ones and the lamer ones.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:09 pm
by Mason
Luckily I was at a convention were several comic book stores had stalls, and free comic books. So at the end of the day I had a fairly good pile of comics:
Bongo Comics Freee-For-All!
The Incredible Hulk / Iron Man (Not really a comic).
Transformers Animated (Not really a comic).
Drafted.
Hellboy.
X-Men.
Marvel Adventures: Iron Man & Hulk & Spider-Man.
How To Draw.
Shonen Jump.
Broken Trinity.
Allstar Superman.
Dan Dare / The Stranded.
Tiny Titans
Atomic Robo.
Now, I need to go to Bristol for another comics convention.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:42 am
by Birdie
There are 5 stores in my town doing FCBD. But I only went to one for personal reasons. The shop I went to is really close to my girlfriend's and is a nice place. I looked online for the books I wanted, and I just told the clerk the titles and he handed me each one. And as a part of good fortune, I also purchased a few books, which was 2 newer Groo books (from darkhorse part of a 4 part series, but they only had issue 1 & 4) and Sergio Aragones book called "Dia De Los Muertos" which is a cute story about Mexico's day of the dead. The titles I picked up were good, even if I only got 5 books. I'm really loving the releasing of old Disney comics on FCBD. They take me back to when I was 7.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:35 am
by Bustertheclown
Birdie wrote:Sergio Aragones
Man, I love Aragones' work. It's just fun! I should go get that Groo series. I've seen it on shelves, but can't find all the issues. I've got too much OCD (Obsessive Completist Disorder) to want to bother, unless I can get ahold of all four issues.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:49 am
by Garneta
Forgot about it...meh, I bet the comic store here didn't have anything good anyway, though.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:55 pm
by McDuffies
Pedro Aragones is the artist I'm most often compared to.
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:47 am
by Dotty
No comic stores around here, matey!
Re: Free Comic Book Day
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:43 am
by Mason
Garneta wrote:I bet the comic store here didn't have anything good anyway, though.
Ever the optimist.