Get Ya Freak On.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Get Ya Freak On.

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:21 pm

now I want the Byrne/eno record.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:43 am

Yeahduff wrote:Bold statement regarding Chris Martin, I don't think you'll find many in agreement. Certainly no one at the label.

Here's my reasoning: for most of people who hate Coldplay, main complaint is that all songs sound the same. I get the impression through playing them some, it's not that songs are all the same in writing, it's that Martin sings them all exactly the same. No invention or prethought, how to approach this or that song, he just goes and does his half-sleepy stuff, so all songs have the same overall mood since the second album. This seems more apparent on album with Eno, because songs want to be something else, and he still sings them the same way.

I think Keff was pushing Islands.

I thought it was Buster. Man I think I'm turning into Keff or something. D:
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:45 am

McDuffies wrote:Here's my reasoning: for most of people who hate Coldplay, main complaint is that all songs sound the same. I get the impression through playing them some, it's not that songs are all the same in writing, it's that Martin sings them all exactly the same. No invention or prethought, how to approach this or that song, he just goes and does his half-sleepy stuff, so all songs have the same overall mood since the second album. This seems more apparent on album with Eno, because songs want to be something else, and he still sings them the same way.

I have to agree. I personally find Coldplay very banal. There's little bit going on in the music.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby McDuffies on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:54 pm

They have a gift for catchy tunes all right, but their further treatment is always the same. Except on the last album where many things are tried with arrangements, only vocal is unchanged. It seems a lot like dipping the toe in the water, I'm interested whether he'll make more albums with them, I know from collaborations with Talking Heads and Bowie that it was second albums where he was doing the best stuff.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:24 pm

I couldn't really get into any of their music. I tried listening to a bit of them. but it just never did anything for me.
Phact0rri

Postby McDuffies on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Oh Radiohead has a new single dedicated to that oldest man in England who died recently.
At first I thought it was dedicated to Harry Partch so I was kinda dissapointed that it's not.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Prettysenshi on Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:31 pm

I've been listening to some Ginuwine, cuz he has a new song out called "Last Chance". That's a pretty good song, but "In Those Jeans" is like....babymaking music. Anyone could play that song and snag a chick. Anyone. Even people on this forum.
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Bustertheclown on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:18 pm

So, I've got about $100 worth of download credits on Rhapsody right now, and I'm going through all of the music, which has brought me to a quandary. I've never really bought single songs before, since I'm an album guy, but 8 or so full albums would just whet my appetite, without really satisfying my current need to update and vary my playlist, which is feeling kinda stale lately. I guess it's the ol' quantity vs. quality debate; do I choose quality time with a few albums I'll really love, or do I spread that love out across as many songs and artists as I can? Hmm...

So, what do y'all do? How do you guys prefer to shop for music, at least from a digital download perspective?
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Risky on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Bustertheclown wrote:So, I've got about $100 worth of download credits on Rhapsody right now, and I'm going through all of the music, which has brought me to a quandary. I've never really bought single songs before, since I'm an album guy, but 8 or so full albums would just whet my appetite, without really satisfying my current need to update and vary my playlist, which is feeling kinda stale lately. I guess it's the ol' quantity vs. quality debate; do I choose quality time with a few albums I'll really love, or do I spread that love out across as many songs and artists as I can? Hmm...

So, what do y'all do? How do you guys prefer to shop for music, at least from a digital download perspective?

I listen to Pandora which plays songs that share qualities of artists or songs you enter, or Nutsie which chooses songs based on your playlists, or I check iTunes' genius feature which suggests songs you might want to buy based on a given song you like. If there's a song I actually really like that I find through those methods, I buy it. If I really really like it, I may use it as the seed for a new Pandora station / Genius search. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I don't buy a lot of music though, since I can just make a station on Pandora by listing all the songs Phact likes and call it Phact and generally get a (loud and disturbing) good mix of music without the outlay of cash (and y'know, legal, which is always good).
Risky

Postby Phact0rri on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:20 pm

I have to listen to whole albums. Im in the belief that an album is made to be listened to in its entirity. And I'd rather have a few solid records then a ton of misc tracks.
Phact0rri

Postby Bustertheclown on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah, I went with whole albums, and then a few random songs with the leftovers. It's just my way to listen to an album until it's worn out, and it just seems too shallow to live by singles.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Also, yay for Maps!

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Truthfully Singles, are made for marketing and promotion, not really to embark on a full experience.
Phact0rri

Postby KWill on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:50 am

Phact0rri wrote:Truthfully Singles, are made for marketing and promotion, not really to embark on a full experience.

I find them to be complementary. Getting the song that just didn't make it into the album on a single CD or alternate versions of songs featured on the album completes the experience.
KWill
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:12 pm

KWill wrote:
Phact0rri wrote:Truthfully Singles, are made for marketing and promotion, not really to embark on a full experience.

I find them to be complementary. Getting the song that just didn't make it into the album on a single CD or alternate versions of songs featured on the album completes the experience.

Bsides are fun for sure, but I usually wait for EPs with all the bsides aside to purchasing all the singles.
Phact0rri

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Bah, albums are every bit a marketing tool as singles. Some acts prefer focusing on individual songs, some on a collections of songs. Neither is more or less artistic than the other.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Yeahduff wrote:Bah, albums are every bit a marketing tool as singles. Some acts prefer focusing on individual songs, some on a collections of songs. Neither is more or less artistic than the other.

Well albums are the product. The musicans sell the record. But the record is the product. Singles are designed to be played on radio, and used for promotion. Hot tracks that sell the album. Least as far as I understand it and what I see working in Music promotion.

I might be miscommunicating though Duff. I don't mean to monitor artistic value at all. that has nothing to do with singles verse albums. But singles are strong enough to work outside the album and sell it. I prefer full albums to listen to.
Phact0rri

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:34 pm

Maybe I decided to read more into the post than was there. Just reminded me of an attitude I've encountered that finds singles to be inferiour to albums.

But back in the olden days they'd cut a song at a time, sell them on 7" vinyl. When the rock era hit companies found you could get more money if you sold longer records, without a lot more manufacturing and shipping cost. Which is a large reason why you started getting records with one great song surrounded by a buncha crap.

I do like listening to albums, though, and very rarely pay for singles. ITunes is changing the game, though, and you're seeing a lot more EPs coming out these days.
Yeahduff

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:44 pm

Yeahduff wrote:But back in the olden days they'd cut a song at a time, sell them on 7" vinyl. When the rock era hit companies found you could get more money if you sold longer records, without a lot more manufacturing and shipping cost. Which is a large reason why you started getting records with one great song surrounded by a buncha crap.

Well you are correct about cutting the one track. But that was because of the old 78's and 33's could only fit one song per side. but the standard 45's came out in the 1950's and thats when 7" singles started hitting the market.. but everyone started doing albums for the money, RCA touted it as a concert in your living room! but LPs were expensive to make and thats why in the 50's there were still lots off 33's going around.
Phact0rri

Postby Yeahduff on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:22 am

Hey, there you go.

This is all more economics driven than we all want to think. It's why big bands and orchestras went away for the most part and why guitars and synths are involved in almost everything we listen to. The digital download would be ideal for the record industry if they could figure out how to curb peer-to-peer and how to stop suing their clientele.
Yeahduff

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion