Get Ya Freak On.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Get Ya Freak On.

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:38 pm

I always wanted to learn harmonica. *le sigh*
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:38 am

Why don't you, it's easy to get the hang of it, and the instrument is the cheapest you can find in a music store. I grew to like instrument cause it has a lot of control of volume and softness, and each movement inside your mouth is another trick. Plus I can carry it around in a pocket.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:25 am

I've tried a couple of times before just haven't found the right way to play one myself yet. Everytime I play one I come at it from a different perspective.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby McDuffies on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Hmm. I just started with theory I found on wikipedia and internet sites, picked a few score books of popular songs and one book for learning piano, converted notes into harp tablatures and went along with that. Only recently I managed to get a few actual books specific for my type of harp (chromatic).
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby K-Dawg on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 pm

Great song creepy video (mostly the face paint)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgtAYctYSVA&feature=related

There's an even worse video with a kid in it crying through most of the video because of monsters. :(

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby Phact0rri on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:19 am

McDuffies wrote:Hmm. I just started with theory I found on wikipedia and internet sites, picked a few score books of popular songs and one book for learning piano, converted notes into harp tablatures and went along with that. Only recently I managed to get a few actual books specific for my type of harp (chromatic).

I should look into doing that. should by one at some point. I can get instruments pretty nice priced around here. on sunset there are two second hand music stores. there's a goodwill music, I didn't even know they existed.
Phact0rri

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:44 am

My parents just brought me back a ukulele from Hawaii, so now I own two. This, of course, means that I now must learn to play them better, because when you own two of something without knowing how to play it, it just makes you a jerk.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Corgan_dane on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 am

Bustertheclown wrote:My parents just brought me back a ukulele from Hawaii, so now I own two. This, of course, means that I now must learn to play them better, because when you own two of something without knowing how to play it, it just makes you a jerk.

I just got my third one today as a gift for our 7th wedding anniversary. Kala mahogany concert. Can't wait to get it home and play on it. :D

Now if I can just get the hang of reading tabs I can get past just playing chords.
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm still learning how to strum properly. There's a reason why I took up visual arts instead of music.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm

So I went to the festival and saw Madness, Prodigy and Mando Diao. Madness was a lot of fun, Mando Diao rocked like crazy and Prodigy is just not my kind of stuff I guess, crawd was going crazy but to me it was all monotonous and forced. Oh I caught a bit of Buzzcocks but they were pretty much just flipping through the repertoire so I didn't stick around them.

K-Dawg wrote:Great song creepy video (mostly the face paint)

There's an even worse video with a kid in it crying through most of the video because of monsters. :(

Did I just spot clip from the Full House?

Phact0rri wrote:I should look into doing that. should by one at some point. I can get instruments pretty nice priced around here. on sunset there are two second hand music stores. there's a goodwill music, I didn't even know they existed.

Yeah, I'm looking up 12-hole one. I'm also looking at trumpets with sad look in my eyes, though I should stop daydreaming and get a better gitar first. So... many... things... so... little... money...

My parents just brought me back a ukulele from Hawaii, so now I own two. This, of course, means that I now must learn to play them better, because when you own two of something without knowing how to play it, it just makes you a jerk.

What is playing it like? It doesn't look like a particularly versatile instrument.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:01 pm

K-Dawg wrote:Great song creepy video (mostly the face paint)

Here you go.

McDuffies wrote:

What is playing it like? It doesn't look like a particularly versatile instrument.

It's a versatile enough instrument, at least as versatile as a short four-stringed instrument can be. I would expect it's about as versatile as the hands of the person playing it. I've certainly heard it played beautifully. It's easy to be able to pick up and play, really. It's being able to play it well that's a challenge.

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Bustertheclown wrote:It's a versatile enough instrument, at least as versatile as a short four-stringed instrument can be. I would expect it's about as versatile as the hands of the person playing it. I've certainly heard it played beautifully. It's easy to be able to pick up and play, really. It's being able to play it well that's a challenge.

That's pretty awesome. I guess I usually hear ukulele played by just strumming chords, which doesn't sound great to me, what with lacking basses and all.
This is my source of inspiration.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Corgan_dane on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 am

McDuffies wrote:
Bustertheclown wrote:It's a versatile enough instrument, at least as versatile as a short four-stringed instrument can be. I would expect it's about as versatile as the hands of the person playing it. I've certainly heard it played beautifully. It's easy to be able to pick up and play, really. It's being able to play it well that's a challenge.

That's pretty awesome. I guess I usually hear ukulele played by just strumming chords, which doesn't sound great to me, what with lacking basses and all.
This is my source of inspiration.

Part of the charm of the ukulele is it's limits, at least to me. It's what makes it one of the easiest instruments to pick up and play, but one of the hardest to really master. You can't rely on just thrumming down on the top string for a bass rythm, and it's very much about how you strum. I'm biased, though. :)
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Haha I bought a traditional macedonian drum!
I'm making quite a collection of cheap musical instruments here.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Corgan_dane on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:03 pm

On one of my bookshelves I have a kazoo, a mouth harp, and a harmonica.

The mouth harp is fun to play with until you hit your teeth by mistake. That hurts like hell.
Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 am

I also have mouth harp and harmonica, castanetes, pan flute (which I can't play worth heck), tin flute, castanetes, acoustic guitar (of course), old useless yamaha synthesizer (for Phactorri: sampler) I borrowed from my sister and now this drum. I got tambourine and cymbals which I got for the bend, the rest is a result of my obsession with cheap musical instruments, and it's usually percussions that are the cheapest.
Mouth harp is exausting for me, when I try to play something faster I can't last for more than a minute, what with having to simultaneously strum, breath in and out, and pretend I'm a frog. It's fun though.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Yeahduff on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:12 am

I very likely will be posting exclusively in this thread, henceforth.

Watched the Flaming Lips streaming from Pitchfork Festival a few weeks ago. Seemed like a fun show, but I'm not sure how much a place they have in my heart any more.

Finally been able to get into Brian Eno. Another Green World is legitimately a great album, and St. Elmo's Fire is an amazing song.

For the rap heads in here, DJ Quick and Kurupt have a fine record out called Blaqout. Lyrics are funny if shallow but the beats are crazy. Hey Playa is built around a sample of a Morrocon blues singer's massive chorus, and Ohh! chops up female vocals and weaves them seamlessly through blipping synths. Good party album.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:32 pm

i just moved so all I got right now. is my little pss Yamaha, my midi full sized midi controller, and my strat.
Phact0rri

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:30 pm

This Yamaha here is from late 80ies, so every instrument sounds exactly the oposite from how it sounds in nature.

Yeahduff wrote:I very likely will be posting exclusively in this thread, henceforth.

Watched the Flaming Lips streaming from Pitchfork Festival a few weeks ago. Seemed like a fun show, but I'm not sure how much a place they have in my heart any more.

Finally been able to get into Brian Eno. Another Green World is legitimately a great album, and St. Elmo's Fire is an amazing song.

For the rap heads in here, DJ Quick and Kurupt have a fine record out called Blaqout. Lyrics are funny if shallow but the beats are crazy. Hey Playa is built around a sample of a Morrocon blues singer's massive chorus, and Ohh! chops up female vocals and weaves them seamlessly through blipping synths. Good party album.

Have you checked Eno's last year with David Byrne? I know I hyped it enough, but it's worth it. I also grew to like his work with Coldplay too, it's bizzare in a good way and I think that through the record he actually tried to diminish Coldplay's hit potential in favour of experimentation. Play it with traditional rock outfit and it's a sure hit, but play it with weird percussions and synths, and you're stretching audience's limits. Only I came to conclusion that they should replace the singer, Martin seems like a weak spot on the whole album.

Hey, I liked Islands. I should keep track of who says what in this thread, 'cause I can't remember whose reccomendation that was. New Eels are ok, Kate Miller-Heidke is interesting and so is Depeche Mode. I have a chance to listen to Leonard Cohen live in autums, hope my schredule will allow it.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Yeahduff on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Heh, I actually own the Byrne/Eno record but haven't listened to it. Strange Overtones is a pretty good song, though. Bold statement regarding Chris Martin, I don't think you'll find many in agreement. Certainly no one at the label.

I think Keff was pushing Islands.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion