Introduction Thread - Welcome to the New and Old

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Introduction Thread - Welcome to the New and Old

Postby Smelch on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Howdy. My names Ty, I'm 24 and from Scotland.

I've been reading webcomics for a couple of years now and decided to give one a shot myself. However due to suffering from Artlexia, I am just a writer/colourer. I am an incredibly sarcastic person, so try not to take offence if it gets aimed at you.

We're hoping to start work on the actual comic in the next few weeks, Tony, the artist is doing up some intro pages which'll be used for the sampler at the moment, so hopefully things will be getting along soon.

I've always been bothered by webcomics that get so far and then stop without ever finishing the damn story, ones that have plot all over the shop because its made up as they go along and spelling mistakes. Come on people, it's not hard to use a spellcheck before publishing it!

The comic itself, though there are no pages drawn yet, has got about 15 weeks fully written, with about the same again in detailed outlines, as well as about 3 full arcs planned. I think the best way to describe it is possibly "Mad Max style space opera, with a group of outcasts created by mankind trying to eke out an existence being pulled into events beyond their control, which may or may not decide the future of the universe". Or something like that. I'm still working on it. Don't judge me.
Smelch
Regular Poster

Postby Hereville on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:50 pm

Hey there. My name is Barry, and I write and draw a comic called "Hereville."

I actually began Hereville in 2005, I think, but it petered out and I didn't do anything with it for a couple of years. I've recently begun drawing it again. The first sixteen pages are currently up at http://www.hereville.com ; it updates once a week, on Wednesdays. I have updates already completed through mid-December. I'd eventually like to start posting two days a week, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to draw that fast and maintain quality.

I'm living in Portland, Oregon, where I'm lucky enough to know a couple of other web cartoonists who got me going on this. And, umn, not much more to say, really. :-)
Hereville

Postby EvilFlea on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:32 am

Hello.

I looked for an introductions section earlier but somehow missed it.

I'm Phil, I'm 26 and currently live in London and I work in the exciting never-say-die world of maths teaching. I've been doing a webcomic for ages (http://www.evilflea.com) but I'm going to set up a second more webcomic-style home on comic genesis. I actually posted in the Comic Pitching section, thinking sorting out my layout and stuff would be more straightforward than it is, but it's not, so I'll wait two weeks for the spring break before spending hours getting it just right.

So until then, to hold your attention, I'll be performing a little dance in my underpants at 6.15 every morning. Or drinking tea. Probably the latter.

My comic has largely been one-off single panel cartoons, but lately I've also been giving birth to some sequential comics. On the original site I've also got some poems, stories and audio sketches (with mixed results).

Hello to all the other new people - Adamo, I stumbled across What If...? the other day, and quite liked what I saw. Keep it up, mate.
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby Diospyros on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Hey all,
Signed up the beginning of this month and been trying to get my site organized. Hopefully I'll get a lot done over this spring break.

This new little hobby of mine is turning out to be quite overwhelming. I really couldn't be any less experienced in comic writing, especially comic art, website design or, heck, posting in forums. Looking around at other people's sites to get to know the community has been both very entertaining and really humbling. I'm trying to take everyone's skillful and creative work as inspiration... Um, not, you know, in plagiarism kind of way.

I was reading some of other people's posts in the this forum and wishing there was a thread that was some sort of a "newbie clique," in case people want to go over ground that's been somewhat gone over before. Getting referred to a thread that went into archives back in '05 isn't the same as having a discussion. Dunno, any thoughts?

Pyros
Diospyros

Postby EvilFlea on Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:44 am

Pyros, I'm sure if you start a thread about anything you'd like to talk about then people would join in the conversation.

I like your avatar. Although it seems slightly intimidated by The Woofing Dog.

Phil
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby Diospyros on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 am

Well, Phil-Evilflea, your woof dog is very intimidating. See? I can't take my eyes off it.
Diospyros

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:32 am

Hereville wrote:Hey there. My name is Barry, and I write and draw a comic called "Hereville."

neat art style.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Ferret on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:07 pm

Hello, I'm craig, and I have a problem.

I have a crush on Abbie from Weregeek... :oops:
Ferret

Postby Switch on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:10 pm

Yeah, I'm new so I figured I'd write a post saying, well, hey.
I'm Mike, I'm 21, and I'm not an alcoholic, despite what my friends might say.
I run Apathetic Rant, a blogomic (new term, snazzy huh) which is just another way of saying it's a comic and a blog rolled into one. Check it out.
Switch

Postby Kyukun on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:11 am

Hi everyone! I'm Kyu-kun and i am 16. I'm a rising manga artist.
Kyukun

Postby Xwhy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Hello, everybody.

My name's Chris, and I'm a teacher of math in a NYC high school. Some of the strips I've posted started as doodles or cartoons that I used in class, some never made it that far. After I had a few on the school's web log, I started doing others that my friends and colleagues could appreciate but might be over the head of my students.

It's become a hobby of mine. It's a creative outlet because I seldom seem to have time to write anymore and many days I seriously have to take my mind off work.

Enjoy the strips and feel free to comment on my blog.
Xwhy
Regular Poster

Postby Redtech on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Hello, my name is Ed and I remember when this forum had a colour scheme that didn't burn my eyes! Oh and "I-can-has-draw" a webcomic, Meiosis.

I'm sure I've posted on this thread before!
Sometimes the failed experiments are the ones that don't try to kill you
Redtech
Regular Poster

Postby Ceruleangym on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:22 am

I'm Matt, 18, and I'm trying out the whole 'let's do a webcomic!' thing. I've kind of gotten addicted to QC, XKCD and Dinosaur Comics, which is the reason I'm starting. I'm not a great artist, but I'm sure I can manage.

Also, this website is very complicated :S
Ceruleangym

Postby Takuun on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:51 am

Hi my name is Darren, I'm 22, I live in the USA in the wonderful armpit called New Jersey, and I've wanted to do a webcomic for a long time. I've been reading webcomics for a good 8 years. So after years of enjoying them I began pestering artist friends to draw for me. I failed horribly so I buckled down and began drawing sometime last year. I am still having issues with consistency but I guess that is to be expected with my lack of artist experience. Still I have 3-4 years worth of material that I've been hording like a pirates gold

Uh I started From the Anticulture and I do everything by hand. I mean everything from letering to coloring. So I know it is rougher then most peoples, and I know I could use photoshop to letter and border everything. I just figure I could learn more by doing everything by hand. I'm not willing to put the link up, not yet. I want it prettier before I do. Also I'm a pretty big con whore so I will see you all at some point if you go to any cons in the north east.
Takuun
Regular Poster

Postby Tinfoil on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:37 pm

Howdy all. Just started my comic. The link is set as my website.
PS. I know the art isn't very good.
Tinfoil

Postby Risky on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:02 am

tinfoil wrote:Howdy all. Just started my comic. The link is set as my website.
PS. I know the art isn't very good.
That's great. But who are you? It's not much of an introduction unless you tell us who you are, eh?
Risky

Postby Tinfoil on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:01 pm

Umm. . . I'm 16 and I decided to start a web comic based on the random things that happen with my friends me at school while giving a blatant disregard to art, sort of like XKCD.
Tinfoil

Postby LibertyCabbage on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:54 am

tinfoil wrote:Umm. . . I'm 16 and I decided to start a web comic based on the random things that happen with my friends me at school while giving a blatant disregard to art, sort of like XKCD.

Why don't you try something that challenges you artistically?
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tinfoil on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:07 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
tinfoil wrote:Umm. . . I'm 16 and I decided to start a web comic based on the random things that happen with my friends me at school while giving a blatant disregard to art, sort of like XKCD.

I only have it to poke fun at my friends and myself, and they don't care about the art, and neither do I.
Tinfoil

Postby LibertyCabbage on Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:44 pm

tinfoil wrote:
LibertyCabbage wrote:

I only have it to poke fun at my friends and myself, and they don't care about the art, and neither do I.

So then why post your comics online if they're just meant for you and your friends?
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion