How is CG?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
VincentHunter
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:41 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

How is CG?

Post by VincentHunter »

How is CG? I was thinking of making a webcomic and read that CG was a good free hosting site(Since free is all I can afford). Is it?

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

It's not bad. I've been satisfied with it's free services for several years now.

The only thing I've really heard people complain about is that they can't advertise with other advertisers; but honestly, unless you are at the point where you're one of the notables in webcomics, that doesn't much matter.

The support is mostly volunteer - our admins are paid so little it's probably criminal. But we're a good group of volunteers as any you'll find in the help center.

Community-wise, we are a touch insular. But we warm up to new people pretty quickly so long as you've got moderately thick skin and a good sense of humor.

Welcome to CG!
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

CG is awesome. I haven't really tried that many comic hosts, but it provides everything I need.
Image

User avatar
JTorch
Regular Poster
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:51 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by JTorch »

Comic Genesis is awesome. Not that I've been anywhere else, but the fact that I haven't needed to go anywhere else speaks for itself.
Image
There's a Civilization on my Fork - Updates Sometimes

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

It's better if you boil it first, drain the water, and then add the flavour packet.
Image

User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.
Contact:

Post by Nanda »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:It's better if you boil it first, drain the water, and then add the flavour packet.
I like to add an egg to mine.
Image Image

User avatar
Dutch!
Red galah
Posts: 4644
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:39 am
Location: The best place on this little blue rock
Contact:

Post by Dutch! »

It's a good stepping stone to take your first step from.

It's also not a bad place to camp if you decide you don't want to step anywhere else too.

It suited me for the first few years. Now I wander back just to keep tabs on the place.
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Image

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

Most people try it for a day or two then disappear entirely. I'm not convinced there's not a Bermuda-like Triangle in Off-Topic somewhere.

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

Not to mention the seaweed patches.[/ducktales]

Post by Cope »

That would explain those UFOs I keep seeing.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
Lunar
Regular Poster
Posts: 667
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:46 pm
Location: Do I look insane?
Contact:

Post by Lunar »

Noise Monkey wrote:Most people try it for a day or two then disappear entirely. I'm not convinced there's not a Bermuda-like Triangle in Off-Topic somewhere.
I thought War was responsible for that...
Image

Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Nanda wrote:
theSuburbanLetdown wrote:It's better if you boil it first, drain the water, and then add the flavour packet.
I like to add an egg to mine.
HA! I did that too. I'd crack it in there and stir fry it like fried rice.
Image

User avatar
Nanda
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:06 am
Location: Peeking out of the closet.
Contact:

Post by Nanda »

theSuburbanLetdown wrote:
Nanda wrote:
theSuburbanLetdown wrote:It's better if you boil it first, drain the water, and then add the flavour packet.
I like to add an egg to mine.
HA! I did that too. I'd crack it in there and stir fry it like fried rice.
Or like Pad Thai. Damn it, now I'm hungry.
Image Image

RobertBlake
Regular Poster
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Post by RobertBlake »

For me, it was either hosting my comic on Geocities or Keenspace (what CG used to be called). Keenspace won out.

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

More space and site automation...I can't see how THAT swayed your opinion at all... :wink:

User avatar
Jim North
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6659
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Location: The Omnipresent Here
Contact:

Post by Jim North »

CG is great! There isn't a better service out there! DON'T BOTHER LOOKING!



. . . it would appear the brain chip they installed is working perfectly.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.

User avatar
Fabio Ciccone
Regular Poster
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Post by Fabio Ciccone »

CG is awful. If it weren't for those rude giant men dressed in all black and their stupid abnormally big laser weapons threatening me I would most certainly place my webcomic in other place.


These guys can be pretty persuasive, you know?

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Fabio Ciccone wrote:CG is awful. If it weren't for those rude giant men dressed in all black and their stupid abnormally big laser weapons threatening me I would most certainly place my webcomic in other place.


These guys can be pretty persuasive, you know?
get back to work!
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Fabio Ciccone
Regular Poster
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:42 am
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Post by Fabio Ciccone »

legostargalactica wrote:
Fabio Ciccone wrote:CG is awful. If it weren't for those rude giant men dressed in all black and their stupid abnormally big laser weapons threatening me I would most certainly place my webcomic in other place.


These guys can be pretty persuasive, you know?
get back to work!
I'm sorry sir. Won't happen again, sir. I'm ready for my punishment now, sir.

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Fabio Ciccone wrote: I'm sorry sir. Won't happen again, sir.
See that it doesn't.
Fabio Ciccone wrote:I'm ready for my punishment now, sir.
Sparrow! Sparrow! Where the hell is that drow?
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

It has one disadvantage to Drunk Duck/SmackJeeves. But for the most part I prefer it.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Post Reply