Where's the beef, or comic as the case may be.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Where's the beef, or comic as the case may be.

Post by Dburkhead »

Okay, I was clicking on a newsbox entry that seemed interesting and started at the first page of the comic in question. First page, well and good. Second page, filler. Third page, filler. WTF? And on and on it goes. Something like twelve pages of filler brings me to the latest "update."

I say again, WTF?

What was this person thinking?
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

It seems like they weren't
Image

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

perhaps the filler WAS the comic and it was all part of some devious plan.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Blackaby
Regale her
Posts: 3441
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Sitting on the pudge.
Contact:

Post by Blackaby »

It's like the Dionaea House, except stupid.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
Image
guest artists get free puppies
Image

User avatar
KODAMA
Spodama Mon
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Post by KODAMA »

... was it mine?
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]

User avatar
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by Dburkhead »

KODAMA wrote:... was it mine?
I don't know. Do you have a webcomic that consists of a first page, then twelve pages of filler, then nothing?
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
KODAMA
Spodama Mon
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Post by KODAMA »

dburkhead wrote:
KODAMA wrote:... was it mine?
I don't know. Do you have a webcomic that consists of a first page, then twelve pages of filler, then nothing?
Sounds frighteningly familiar....

I've been good for the past 9 pages :)
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]

User avatar
Kasaii
Regular Poster
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Kasaii »

Filler updated inside the main comic always drives me nuts. It's one of the main reasons I stopped reading through Suburban Jungle; the filler shatters the flow of the archives.

I like filler, but I like it even more to have a seperate location, unless there's a serious and important reason for its presence.
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Peer pressure maybe?
Like, they saw other comics do it, they overheard somewhere that it's good to update regularly, they put 2 and 2 together and got 1.5

Like HNTRAC established years ago, if you have to put a filler, remove it from archive later. If I'm reading someone's archives, I don't care which days I updated and which ones not. I only care about that if I'm reading it as it updates.

Though even then I don't get the point of a filler. I come for a comic, and if it isn't there, I don't care if there's some text image apologuising, or a stick-figure fan comic instead of it.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

I like having filler in between stories, but not during them. They're usually sketches or guest comics that run while I take a break.
Image

User avatar
Linkara
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2211
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman
Contact:

Post by Linkara »

I admit I have fanart sprinkled in during days that I don't normally update, but no one's complained so far, so I probably won't be changing it anytime soon. ^^;;.
Image

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~

User avatar
Jackhass
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 am
Location: Starring in your latest sex dream.

Post by Jackhass »

Waaaait a minute...

...are you saying there's a bad webcomic hosted on Comicgen?!

No sir, I refuse to believe this.
Image

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Jackhass wrote:Waaaait a minute...

...are you saying there's a bad webcomic hosted on Comicgen?!

No sir, I refuse to believe this.
sarcasm cleanup on ailse three!
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

It's alright, I have an extra bottle of Sarcasm™ in my back pack.
Image

User avatar
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by SergeXIII »

How old is the site? They might be just setting everything up?

Maybe?

Its kinda possible...

I don't know.

User avatar
Mr. Caravaggio
Regular Poster
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 11:28 pm

Post by Mr. Caravaggio »

Someone's got to make a comic like this on purpose. The real point of the site will just to have a misc. art account, like deviant art, only framed as a webcomic, so that the site itself because kind of an ironic little statement on the medium. (And no, I don't think Vas already thought of this)

Christ, I shouldn't have taken that modern art class...

User avatar
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by Dburkhead »

SergeXIII wrote:How old is the site? They might be just setting everything up?

Maybe?

Its kinda possible...

I don't know.
Well, yeah, there have been exactly twelve updates. And that's what tripped my irony switch: every single one of those twelve updates--every one--was filler. So, with the starter comic followed by twelve "fillers" we've got a "comic" that's 92.3% filler.
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
Cope
Incompetent Monster
Posts: 7378
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:37 pm
Location: Masked man of mystery
Contact:

It seemed so daft that it must've been avante garde.

Post by Cope »

Mr. Caravaggio wrote:Someone's got to make a comic like this on purpose. The real point of the site will just to have a misc. art account, like deviant art, only framed as a webcomic, so that the site itself because kind of an ironic little statement on the medium. (And no, I don't think Vas already thought of this)
I think someone's done this, actually. Now if I can only remember where that site was...
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

User avatar
KODAMA
Spodama Mon
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Post by KODAMA »

OBS wrote:One thing I can't understand is how (popular indy comic that was once hosted on Keenspace) ramped up some big ad campaign for the comic, only to post filler durring days the comic updated citing "Oh, I've gone off on business and won't be back until the 15th".

It's just like kicking yourself in the face.
lol, I clicked on that banner too. I was reading some archives and there was a webcomic banner, so I was like "whoa, neat. An advertisement that isn't lame" and clicked on it.. and it's says come back a month later... lol

Sure made me think "wtf mate?" and I didn't feel like reading the archives. The artwork wasn't very appealing to me neither (very very few webcomics appeal to me simply by art, but I still read a few pages from the front and a few pages from the back for most of the webcomics I encounter.)
I'M MAKING A GAME | GALLERY | The old webcomic:http://www.skimlines.com | [url=irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace]irc://irc.esper.net/keenspace[/url]

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

PeppermintAfterlife wrote:It's alright, I have an extra bottle of Sarcasm™ in my back pack.
But this was Pointless Sarcasm, you'll need something extra strong for it.

Post Reply