publicity stunts

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Packrat
Regular Poster

publicity stunts

Post by Packrat »

hum.. (lound thinking noises 'cause this topic is DANGEROUS!)

Other forums are bathering about this being an ad-driven medium...

right, as far as it goes... which isn't far enough, by the way.

so you've
hit the meta-boards,
registered here and there,
entered the contests,
made a forum
spammed your friends and relatives for traffic...

and you aren't getting anywhere.

yet.

connections, ability and popularity are the key, right?

the color, character and story strengths thing?

NO, THEY aren't. publicity is. You need one innna million people coming here to get going. that's peanuts.

publicity is KEY. layla (eric clapton) sat buried for YEARS till he released it under his usual name. THEN it took off.

grand funk were another child of modern hype... the band being 90% owned by promotors when it, ahh... singled out.

pop-tarts, anyone? we had a page (globe+mail, sat/aug 12th) on another web-weaver coming out of britian last week. AND how she got the bandwidth paid for.

you get the general idea. While i'm NOT suggesting spray-painting your name on the streets outside city-hall...

or sky-writing; or sandwich-boards; or giving t-shirts away...

(damn. say, it might be about time to start hitting captive audiences.
ever do handoputs innna hospital? The universities?)

MARKET the blasted thing. Your strip, your name, your stuff.

start working on ways to get your name (recognition, applied demographics (your intended audience), traffic) out there.

that's all there is to it. pass out samples at sockhops, raves, church groups. etc. anywhere people gather.

and lotsa luck. talent isn't welcome out there.... but a proven sales record
has more magic then you would believe.

and that takes promotion. LOTS of it.

so. got any good ideas for applied street theater? (which is all I see this as.) wanna pass 'em on?

packrat
packrat, area163 SF, luddite, writer, pat's petri-dish productions, canadian, eh? http://packrat.comicgenesis.com
http://youtube.ca/area163

War
Grr

Post by War »

And yet another useless post from packrat.

Have a lolly.

Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Post by Warofwinds »

I make friends, and pimp all the comics that I love. Friends will plug you back, but it's still just really nice to send hits to other people. Like good karma, usually it'll come back at you from someone else.

As for STUNTS, well, I dress up in wacko outfits for attention at my college. Then, to those students or profs BRAVE enough to ask why, I hand out business cards. If you make people curious, they will come. mweh.
-Kez
ImageImageImage

Escushion
Cartoon Hero

Post by Escushion »

I'm sky-diving with a banner from my comic instead of a parachute. CRAZY!!!
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.

Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero

Post by Mvmarcz »

If you're in it for fame, you're in it to lose.
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2

Corgan_dane
Cartoon Hero

Post by Corgan_dane »

Every inch of my body is covered in tattoos of my favorite Comicgenesis comics.

When I strip on the weekends, you ALL get free advertising. :wink:

Subhuman
Cartoon Hero

Post by Subhuman »

mvmarcz wrote:If you're in it for fame, you're in it to lose.

Princess
Regular Poster

Post by Princess »

I'm going to marry Blackaby! It will be the wedding of the century (I'm thinking matching Princess Di-style gowns)

Dave Against The Machine
Cartoon Hero

Post by Dave Against The Machine »

mvmarcz wrote:If you're in it for fame, you're in it to lose.
Wait... What?
*Falls to his knees*
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Lando
Regular Poster

Post by Lando »

Everybody can't be Tim Buckley or Fred Ghallager, you can't define success by dollar signs. I know that sounds crazy but think about it, did you start your comic thinking I'm gonna be rich? I'll bet you started it as a hobby, or to share your artistic vision with the world, or just because you were bored. I don't know how many people actually read my comic, the webalizer is a little confusing, but it grows everyday. Does that mean I do things differently to attract new readers? Sure I use the tools available to me, and I like the fact that people are enjoying my work, at least I hope they are. But I do this comic because the way it makes me feel. Or rather the way I didn't feel in the three year gap between Welcome to Roxboro and Welcome Back to Roxboro. You can't work all the time, you have o have an outlet for things and I think that's what defines success. You can say I did something, something that, as long as there is the internet and a place to host it, will be there long after I'm gone. Leaving behind something that maybe made someone laugh, someone cry, or in some small part changed someone's life, that is the true measure of success.
Lando

"My spelling and grammar come with a disclaimer."

www.back2roxboro.com

Blackaby
Regale her

Post by Blackaby »

princess wrote:I'm going to marry Blackaby! It will be the wedding of the century (I'm thinking matching Princess Di-style gowns)
I'm going to marry Mimo! And for added publicity, we've booked Corgan for our Hens night.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
guest artists get free puppies

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I can't figure out whether the initial post was a question, a rant or just a bunch of preaching. I assume that packrat just wanted to look smart by giving a bunch of advices that we've already heard a dozen of dozens of times (Though looking smart with a post like that is a lost cause).

See, the basic mistake is when you suggest that most of people are doing comics because they want fame. Tim Buckley, perhaps, is, but even Tycho and Gabe, when they were starting, probably didn't have an idea that they could one day be so popular to live from their comic.
They started because they liked making comics. And so is most of us.
Webcomics aren't add-driven, nor are they publicity-driven. The most of money pouring into webcomics comes from pockets of people who like webcomics so much that they will spend some of their money on them. That's, on one side, people who buy merchandize and printed collections, on the other hand people who pay for their comic's webspace. So really, webcomics are fueled on enthusiasm, not on some kind of elaborate marketing plan. Only a few of the most popular ones work on an elaborate marketing plan, and webcomics are much more than a few of the most popular ones.
Packrat, of course, takes a mysanthropic stance, what's "Talent isn't welcome out there" supposed to mean? You can be as agressive advertiser as you want, if your comic doesn't have some sort of appeal, it's futile. Why do you think Pockeybot never lifted off? He was as shameless self-promoter as you can get. And to make a comic be appealing to people, it takes some talent, perhaps not as much as it's given credit for by fans, but some talent, yes.

So if you just want to hear what kind of advertising techniques we use, then save your and our time and use the "search" function of the forum. There are threads with this topic every once in a while, there was one such thread two weeks ago, I think it's still on the second page.
On the other hand, if you want to look smart and to give advices, remember that there are people here, who've been far longer in webcomics, and those who are far more popular, and do you really think that they need your unsolicited advice?

Doll
Regular Poster

Post by Doll »

I use cats for publicity. I dress them up as characters from my comic and parade them up and down the street til dusk sets in. Then they may roam free.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

Doll wrote:I use cats for publicity. I dress them up as characters from my comic and parade them up and down the street til dusk sets in. Then they may roam free.
i think i got attacked by one of your cats.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

Kasaii
Regular Poster

Post by Kasaii »

Doll wrote:I use cats for publicity. I dress them up as characters from my comic and parade them up and down the street til dusk sets in. Then they may roam free.
That's a great idea. I should try that.

I'm considering getting a single t-shirt for my website and then pretending to just be a fan. It would be very stupid, and therefore successful. ;)
"Consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds."
Patchwork Champions. Note to self: You cannot read by laserlight.

Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Post by Dr Legostar »

Kasaii wrote:
That's a great idea. I should try that.

I'm considering getting a single t-shirt for my website and then pretending to just be a fan. It would be very stupid, and therefore successful. ;)
one of the days of CN expo I'll be wearing the Legostar Shirt i had Pimpette make for me.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff

Packrat
Regular Poster

publicty stunts.

Post by Packrat »

blast, my first reply vanished into the bit-bucket. Lots to cover, hope you don't mind this being scattered.

1: dress up at work.

brave. Ever try laser sky-wriing at night on clouds? Except for planes, natch.... (Blink.. Who ever looks up at night anyway?)

point. maybe two. the title of da post was publicty stunts, you came closest. free buttons didn't get markets as brillance at least.

2: famous?

money, power, fame. Fame and money aren't directly co-related. It's like being funny and smart. close, but no cigar.

I've been doing web-comics since '95 and NONE of the above apply.

hey. between branding and demographics, you'll fade away anyway.
when you're rich enough to HIRE talent, like dagwood.

3: talent not welcome.

WELCOMED then. jeez.... as compared to how welcome big hooters get.
...are.

whatever. can i tell the mod to bite me here?

thou there's another chain out there? Thanks.

4:an animal parade. hum. there's a fuzzy-con coming soon here...
sacraine, but maybe useable. without lawsuits, eh?

I got a bat at work last week. I shoulda asked him.

5: NEW random (user) idea here.. (programmer's joke. A user with an idea (from hell) is a loon, usually)

a quick-keen supermarket page that flips every 5/6 seconds bewteen (4/5) strips? what's supermegatopia's random stripper called?

thanks for da stuff.

incoherant and pleased with it...

packrat.
packrat, area163 SF, luddite, writer, pat's petri-dish productions, canadian, eh? http://packrat.comicgenesis.com

Rock_dash
NOTHING

Re: publicty stunts.

Post by Rock_dash »

packrat wrote:blast, my first reply vanished into the bit-bucket. Lots to cover, hope you don't mind this being scattered.

1: dress up at work.

brave. Ever try laser sky-wriing at night on clouds? Except for planes, natch.... (Blink.. Who ever looks up at night anyway?)
Whatever he's on, I want some.

Packrat
Regular Poster

fluids

Post by Packrat »

fluid intake today (so far)

7 16 ounce coffees.. since 8am. it's now 9:30 pm.
1 liter soy (unflavored) 930 mil, with additives.

1 deck smokes ( well, half) players Highest possible tar+nic ratings

no solid food

and I escaped my room via the window this morning. (Truth. You DON'T wanna know about this one, do you?)

plus the voodoo acupuncture mystery... (coming about sept 22)

the girl who desperation-dates taxi drivers

and other silliness.

CARTOONING SINCE 95 and still not healthy, wealthy or wise.

what's street-threater anyway? Boy-george picking up trash?

packrat

The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude

Re: publicty stunts.

Post by The Neko »

packrat wrote:
I've been doing web-comics since '95 and NONE of the above apply.
That's probably because you don't have any talent.
jag saknar självförtroende