Source of Inspiration

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
SergeXIII
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 9:24 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Source of Inspiration

Post by SergeXIII »

Where do you get your inspiration for writting and/or drawing comics?

I don't really have one persay, but I find that I make more when I visit message boards (namely this one). Also if I find a new webcomic and read it all I usualy come out trying some techniques I picked up from observing it and changing up my comic.

This backfires sometimes because everynow and then I'll want to do a big change or a new comic, and with college in progress thats allot to demand.

Right now I had the urge to break away from my usual "No plot all jokes" writting style, and try out a story arc. I think I'm going to go through with this one, namely because I've designed everything for it and really want to tell a few jokes I've written into it.

Anyway thats me, how 'bout you?

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

Well, I guess coming here is the main one. I see all these threads about comic milestones and anniversaries, and it makes me want to keep doing mine so that I'll eventually get to start one of those threads. I see peoples banners, signatures, doodles, etc, and it makes me want to improve my drawing so that someday someone might look at my stuff, and they'll get the urge to improve. If I actually get the time to read other comics (dang work taking up all my time) I look at the writing and want to improve my own writing.

Also, I'd like to bypass Jim on how many readers I have so that I can stick out my tongue at him and go "Neh-neh!" :D
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

Life. I COULD be original and come up with complex story arcs, but instead, I'll just take anecdotes from my life, add a punchline, and voila.
Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Here's a funny thing: the other day, I was reading an article on how writers get their inspiration, and while reading it, I got the inspiration for a comic loosely based on it.

User avatar
CaptainClaude
Witty British President
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:50 am
Location: SITTING ON A BOMB IN A GREENHOUSE.
Contact:

Post by CaptainClaude »

i enter a trancelike state and only come out when an idea comes into my head.


I can be there for days sometimes.

User avatar
TheSuburbanLetdown
Destroyer of Property Value
Posts: 12714
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:38 pm
Location: explod

Post by TheSuburbanLetdown »

Mine started off as some kind of masked diary thing. Now I'm making stuff up and watching the chracters react to situations I put them in.
Image

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

i get inspiration from everything, daily life, movies, t.v. just random things that fly through my head. Often I really have too much inspiration as I could never get all the projects i dream up done.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

legostargalactica wrote:i get inspiration from everything, daily life, movies, t.v. just random things that fly through my head. Often I really have too much inspiration as I could never get all the projects i dream up done.
Ugh, yeah. Except for me its also that alot my inspiration is too detailed for me to draw, lol. If only I could get everything down on paper...
Image

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Killbert-Robby wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:i get inspiration from everything, daily life, movies, t.v. just random things that fly through my head. Often I really have too much inspiration as I could never get all the projects i dream up done.
Ugh, yeah. Except for me its also that alot my inspiration is too detailed for me to draw, lol. If only I could get everything down on paper...
this is why i have had the good fortune to find myself a few artists to help me bring my ideas to life.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

legostargalactica wrote:
Killbert-Robby wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:i get inspiration from everything, daily life, movies, t.v. just random things that fly through my head. Often I really have too much inspiration as I could never get all the projects i dream up done.
Ugh, yeah. Except for me its also that alot my inspiration is too detailed for me to draw, lol. If only I could get everything down on paper...
this is why i have had the good fortune to find myself a few artists to help me bring my ideas to life.
*shakes fist*
Image

User avatar
RemusShepherd
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2011
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:23 pm
Contact:

Post by RemusShepherd »

This topic has come up a few times. And I'll answer the same way I always have: I get my inspiration from the bilious and bottomless pit of rage inside me. :)
Image

User avatar
Blackaby
Regale her
Posts: 3441
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Sitting on the pudge.
Contact:

Post by Blackaby »

I posted to this feckit before the INTARWEB crashed like a bitch. ANYWAY my answer was like that I get ideas from watching the discover channel, I'm all inspired, it's like OMFG THESE PEOPLE KILLED AND ATE MONKEYS THAT'S SO AWESOME must make it into a comic LOLZORZ.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
Image
guest artists get free puppies
Image

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

well for decypher it was the then Scene we had here, a nice little tight niched group of kids who went to shows and coffee shops and stuff.. so ala my life and friends.

however with the dying city I live in now, most of my inspiration comes from old memories, and well music and what not.

the other comic I am slowly developing is totally inspired heavily by music and old b movie science fiction.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

Simply psychosomatic.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

LibertyCabbage wrote:Simply psychosomatic.
you don't really know what that word means, do you?
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Kilre
Regular Poster
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Ketchup! Just a squirt!
Contact:

Post by Kilre »

I don't know, honestly...every now and then I feel the drive to just attack a sheet of paper with a pen and keep going until I flush all the ideas from my mind. That's about all. It's somewhat guided by what music I'm listening to at the time.

Edit:
Stupid me, I didn't understand the thread.
I got inspiration from everything I've read and seen. Books, webcomics, movies, music...
Last edited by Kilre on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"VOOM!" is what a space dreadnought's main cannon should sound like.
Beautiful Skies--Daily dose of sci-fi war.
How I Killed The Gods--Daily.

User avatar
Linkara
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2211
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman
Contact:

Post by Linkara »

From a variety of sources, but more often than not moral indignation. ^_^ I'll hear about some vile injustice committed in another country and I'll be all the more apt to push my Western moral absolutism to a situation and show how an outcome will occur.

...Or I just listen to music or listen to a scene from TV/Movie for the scene I'm working on. For example, the music from the musical "Camelot" is a heavy inspiration for a lot of my work.

I'm also in agreement with the others for inspiration to come from reading other webcomics. Most of my panels, despite being influenced by a more comic book aspect, really can seem boring sometimes so I'm trying to go to a more broad look at the way I layout pages.
Image

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~

User avatar
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 4667
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: bat country
Contact:

Post by LibertyCabbage »

legostargalactica wrote:
LibertyCabbage wrote:Simply psychosomatic.
you don't really know what that word means, do you?
...no. :shifty:
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"

User avatar
Killbert-Robby
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 6876
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:28 am
Location: in the butt

Post by Killbert-Robby »

LibertyCabbage wrote:
legostargalactica wrote:
LibertyCabbage wrote:Simply psychosomatic.
you don't really know what that word means, do you?
...no. :shifty:

I'll clear this up for you


Basically, LC gets his inspiration from the depths of Hades itself.
Image

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

My questions generally come from my readers, and I draw them based on whatever research I needed to do.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

Post Reply