hating your own comic!

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

hating your own comic!

Post by Jeffy »

What do you dislike most about your comic? Or, if you could magicicically change one thing about your comic right now forevermore, what would it be.

For me it's how long it takes to make, from start to end, I estimate a good 15+ hours per comic. (Assuming I could sit down and sketch everything out at once, instead of doing it in 5-10 minute intervals)
Image

User avatar
Kilre
Regular Poster
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Ketchup! Just a squirt!
Contact:

Post by Kilre »

the thing i'd like to change most is the story in the early bit. i didn't know what i was doing when i started, and i think it shows glaringly
"VOOM!" is what a space dreadnought's main cannon should sound like.
Beautiful Skies--Daily dose of sci-fi war.
How I Killed The Gods--Daily.

User avatar
Orion
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:16 pm
Location: Omnipresent
Contact:

Post by Orion »

Honestly if I would change one thing, I would change the archives. I know my current quality isn't as great as I'd like it to be but it's something I can look at and not cringe. The archives are a horrible horrible thing to me and I want them changed.
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys


Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Starline
Regular Poster
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:43 pm
Location: Miami, Fl

Post by Starline »

I would change the rate that I can update it. I wish I could make it daily. BUT THERE IS NO TIME. :cry:

User avatar
Evil Jamie!
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1408
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Tasmania

Post by Evil Jamie! »

I'd make my early stuff not suck.
Image

User avatar
Keffria
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
The Wimpy Teaching Assistant (Mod)
Posts: 3748
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: not-France

Post by Keffria »

Evil Jamie! wrote:I'd make my early stuff not suck.

User avatar
Guildmaster Van
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:17 pm
Location: El Quebeco
Contact:

Post by Guildmaster Van »

I'd have the capability to do more than one comic so I'd be able to do all the things I want to do (I also want to do a samurai comic, but I would never have the time to do that too)

User avatar
Gengar003
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:12 pm

Post by Gengar003 »

I would master drawing straight, or at least even lines.
"If you hear a voice inside you saying "you are not an artist," then by all means make art... and that voice shall be silenced"
-Adapted from Van Gogh

User avatar
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE
Posts: 4844
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Yes, let us check!
Contact:

Post by K-Dawg »

I'd learn how to shade, and do better angles. :(
Image

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey

User avatar
BOMC
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 am
Location: with your mom

Post by BOMC »

I'd be able to draw much better, and also faster so it wouldn't take me so frickin' long to do each comic :-?
-Grace (BOMC)

User avatar
CJBurgandy
Eat at Crazy CJs! Home of the mad burger
Posts: 6538
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Too Old for this Shit
Contact:

Post by CJBurgandy »

I normally don't put hats on my characters.
CLICK HERE FOR HOT SEXY NUDES

"When Papa Smurf drank here, he was standoffish, Turk said. He favored vodka and didn't share his liquor." ~ Anchorage Daily News

User avatar
Garneta
Holding Out for a Hero
Posts: 6518
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: Fraggle Rock
Contact:

Post by Garneta »

I'd like to be able to ink better than I can at this point, but mostly I'd like to be better at writing comedic material so that I could write more of the strips than I do.
Image
Image Image Image

User avatar
Mvmarcz
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3623
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:17 pm
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Post by Mvmarcz »

I would have fully "painted" backgrounds

:is waiting for a tablet: I may have that soon though

I'd probably change my update schedual and the length of the comic but I like the length as it is I think...no I'd say backgrounds is my only real issue
Image
NJ: "You know the drill, you're AWESOME!"
I am the artist formerly known as M2

User avatar
Dburkhead
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:59 am
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Contact:

Post by Dburkhead »

I wish I could draw about 32 times better than I can., and at least 3 times as fast.
David L. Burkhead
Mercenary Scientist
Image
Updates Wednesdays

User avatar
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:55 am
Location: On the shoulder of a giant
Contact:

Post by Mo »

Specifically IMO: I wish I would take the time to draw backgrounds on all panels, but sometimes I get lazy. I also wish I'd get the pages done faster. Right now every IMO comic takes me about 7-8 hours (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Specifically Cookie's World: I wish writing the funny would come easier to me.

Both: I still have much to improve when it comes to proportions, poses, forshortening, perspective etc. It's not that I don't know how to do it, it's just that it takes extra effort that I'm not always willing to make. I'm also generally unhappy with the way I ink, I need either better equipment, or more practice, or should try and find a way to retrace with some program or something.

Most of all though, my writing needs work (in both comics); especially since English isn't my native language, yet I want to make the comics in English.

*sigh*

Oh, and I should, like, update regularly or something. :P

User avatar
Xavier
Regular Poster
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the MIDWEST
Contact:

Post by Xavier »

i wish i could make backgrounds that actively captured the scene.

User avatar
Black Sparrow
Cartoon Anti-Hero
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Violating your restraining order
Contact:

Post by Black Sparrow »

The thing I wish I could magically change: Making it right to left.

I mean, ARGH, what in the nine hells was I thinking?! That single mistake has nearly completely turned me off to my comic, and every time Neko goes into one of his rants in Chat, it just gets worse. And I can't change it now; my characters are not symmetrical.
This is going in my notebook titled "Things I Didn't Know about Surface Dwellers."
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2390
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:17 pm
Location: ATOMIC!
Contact:

Post by Bustertheclown »

I just want to get my storytelling ADD under control, and be able to focus on one damned project at a time.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com

User avatar
Dark Spider
Regular Poster
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:26 am
Contact:

Post by Dark Spider »

-I want to definitely redo the first story arc so it can be more coherent. This includes both writing and art.

-I want to redo all the comics with typed speech, ESPECIALLY the ones with bad handwriting.

-I wish I could update more than twice a week, but I barely have time to do even the two time a week update.

-I would say that I want to churn out comics faster and easily, but I already solved that problem. For the time being, I stopped doing full page color comics, and now I do comics roughly half that size. I also stopped doing shading (although I may return to it in a limited capacity). Before these measures, it used to take me 6-8 hours to do an average comic. Now it only takes me 4 hours (give or take a half hour) to do the current color comics....2 hours to pencil and ink and 2 to color. These time reducing measures were a necessary evil, because college is really breaking me down right now.

-I want to redo the website design, and it will eventually happen in the upcoming months.

-I want to work on promoting the comic some, but again, no time.
This has been the Dark Spider...
Image
My webcomic on Comic Genesis, check it out!

User avatar
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)
Posts: 9158
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: I jumped into your grave and died.
Contact:

Post by Yeahduff »

Wish I weren't so lazy.
Image
I won't be the stars in your dark night.

Post Reply