Artist/Writer Classified Ads

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Postby MisterIrony on Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:58 pm

Out of curiosity, could those that have managed to find someone post a follow-up reply? I'd like to know efficacy of this thread (if any of the previous posters still even read this).
MisterIrony
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:53 pm

wishmaster wrote:I read this thread out of a combination of morbid curiosity and mild boredom. Anyone else find it amusing that only blackaby has snagged some artists with this thread? :P

Seeing as I've yet to snag an artist, I can safely say that I don't find it amusing. I'm just trying to find someone, and this thread was perfect for me.

It hasn't yet borne fruit, but it's better than nothing.
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:24 pm

That's a sort of expected result. Before introducing this thread, there were such add-type threads scattered all over the place and they were really rarely efective (Blackaby's success is probably partly to the fact that she's already a writer of established and somewhat popular comic - I can see why someone would choose her over others for purely practical reasons). It was said in most of such threads that artists who don't have a comic aren't wondering 'round these parts very often. Art communities like Deviantart or Elfwood are much better places for search for the artist, as they are populated with artists who don't have a comic, unlike here where everyone most likely already does have a comic.
In other words, same as it ever was.

Incidentally, I occasionally do check this thread, 'cause I like to know what's going on.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:21 pm

I'll divulge my secret ... I have an upcoming project that I sought an artist for, but I knew I wouldn't get anyone here, so I browsed around on DeviantArt and got an artist. So, if you're looking for an artist, I think DA is a better route, since almost everyone here is already busy with their own projects.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:19 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I'll divulge my secret ... I have an upcoming project that I sought an artist for, but I knew I wouldn't get anyone here, so I browsed around on DeviantArt and got an artist. So, if you're looking for an artist, I think DA is a better route, since almost everyone here is already busy with their own projects.

Thanks for the advice. I already have an account there, so I'll go poke a few people. Still, doesn't hurt to leave this here, and I can always add some example scripts to my writing portfolio for them to look at.

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. But at least it'll be worth it.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, I have a third possible comic idea now, using just humans now. I'll try to write up a few scripts and post them in my portfolio soon.

Wish me luck!
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby WaCKo on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:06 pm

MY comic is called Madness!

My comic is about A Guy named Scythe gos off to save his sister from the evil Chaos. But he needs some help so he gathers up some friends to help him. Magic,guns,swords,laughs,many murders and more are along the way in this crazy Comic.

6 panels

1st panel

text:What's this
Picture:Scythe(is wearing a black hoodie and black Jeans and black shoes has any hairstyle) looks happy and has a letter in his hand

2nd panel
text:A evil demon named chaos has taken my sister?
Scythe looks surprised and is reading the letter

3rd panel
text:It's on
Scythe looks mad as hell

4th panel
text: Better call my friends so we can go kill chaos.
Scythe is on the phone

5th panel
text: We're here Scythe
3 people with guns and swords go to Scythe's house

6th panel
text:Let's go Tearless,Red,and Dark
Scythe joins them(he also has a sword and guns.)

I'll you let them interpret the script how they want?

Realistic drawing
WaCKo

Postby Jollyrodgers4 on Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:47 pm

MY comic is called Madness!

Can the charcters be in their mid 80's or late 70's?
J. Rodgers

Jollyrodgers4
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:24 pm

WaCKo wrote:MY comic is called Madness!

My comic is about A Guy named Scythe gos off to save his sister from the evil Chaos. But he needs some help so he gathers up some friends to help him. Magic,guns,swords,laughs,many murders and more are along the way in this crazy Comic.

6 panels

1st panel

text:What's this
Picture:Scythe(is wearing a black hoodie and black Jeans and black shoes has any hairstyle) looks happy and has a letter in his hand

2nd panel
text:A evil demon named chaos has taken my sister?
Scythe looks surprised and is reading the letter

3rd panel
text:It's on
Scythe looks mad as hell

4th panel
text: Better call my friends so we can go kill chaos.
Scythe is on the phone

5th panel
text: We're here Scythe
3 people with guns and swords go to Scythe's house

6th panel
text:Let's go Tearless,Red,and Dark
Scythe joins them(he also has a sword and guns.)

I'll you let them interpret the script how they want?

Realistic drawing

How old are you?
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mercury Hat on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:23 am

Both of you get out.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby Humand on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 am

This probably won't work but I figure I'd give it a try. I'm looking for a new artist for The Human Division. It's been around a couple of months and gets about 60 hits a day.

http://thehumandivision.com

Here are a few archives so you know what you're getting into:

http://www.thehumandivision.com/Pirates.jpg
http://www.thehumandivision.com/scient.jpg
http://www.thehumandivision.com/geico.jpg
http://www.thehumandivision.com/MI4.jpg
http://www.thehumandivision.com/bat.jpg

If you're inteterested reply to this post or email me at humandivision@gmail.com
Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?

The Human Division
Humand

Postby Douglas on Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:02 am

Yo. I've tried tons of places, but none of them has seemed to do anything for me... hopefully this will be my lucky day... As with most aspiring webcomic-makers who need a collaborator, I am a writer, looking for a competent artist. And as with most people in this situation, I have nothing to offer, except the fun of getting to work with ME!... what, is that not good enough? Well, I guess I have a good story, too...

The plot is subtley sci-fi. For the most part, everything takes place on Earth. Aliens are subtley invading, and they've placed several spies, disguised as humans, on the planet to implement their ultimate goal of turning all humans into their own kind. They start off with a virus, disguised as the avian flu, which eventually manifests itself as an agent to transform the unwitting human who contracted it into one of the aliens.

The story follows several different individuals whose stories slowly become intertwined as the plot develops, and eventually, they all have to band together to destroy the aliens. Each person will see some of their closest friends die, or be transformed into an alien, and maybe even some of the main characters will die as well...

So anyway, that's the basic plot. There will be plenty of unexpected twists and turns, and action sequences, to make it really interesting.

Here's the first bit of writing that I've done for it; it's in novel-style, but I can easily adapt it for a webcomic.

~

A storm grew on the horizon, the dark clouds churning, and the rumbling in the distance growing louder. A wind picked up, blowing across the valley, in such a way that a casual observer might believe that he could see the air currents creating furrows over the plains.

In this valley, there were several trees. One tree, however, was different. There was nothing special about it, nothing to make it stand out among the others; nothing, that is, except the metal door that could be seen if one brushed the leaves away from the roots.

Beneath this door lived a hermit. On a regular day, he would be bustling around his quiet dwelling, cleaning the dust off his belongings, which consisted of a chair, a table, and an old wind-up radio. But not today; today was not a regular day for the hermit.

He sat motionless on his chair, staring straight ahead, almost cadaver-like in his rigidness. He had not eaten in several days. It was not that he had no food, plenty was available in the city on the other side of the valley.

No, this hermit was sick. With what, he did not know; he had never experienced anything like this before. His muscles did not respond to his commands. His brain would not work properly, and as such, he was disoriented. A sickly gray pallor had come to his skin, and his eyeballs were dry and unseeing.

For three days the hermit had sat in his little dwelling in silent agony. But today was to be the last day of his torture. Today, he would be set free.

The hermit flinched, his lower eyelids flicking up and slowly relaxing. His pupils began to expand, growing far beyond a normal size. They grew and grew until they almost covered his entire eyes. Then, suddenly, they winked out of existence, leaving only pure white.

A gasp escaped the hermit's throat. His limbs began to shake, his arms rising from his sides, twitching, bending, flexing. His legs did the same. The hermit fell off his chair onto the floor, his whole body now in spasms, flecks of froth appearing at the sides of his mouth and nostrils, his white eyes wide in fear.

The hermit began to scream.

----

28 days, 21 hours, 54 minutes

Darkness. Why do we fear it? Is it because of its dramatic effect upon our visual sense, leaving us vulnerable? Is it because an unseen enemy could use the darkness as a cover, to stalk us, to prey upon us? Or is it simply because darkness has always been intrinsically evil, inherently dangerous, as long as humankind can remember?

These questions may have entered Ben's mind at some point, but right now, his mind was frozen in terror.

Someone, or something, was coming for him. He felt it in his bones. He had his blankets over his head, letting none of his body show on the outside, lest the unknown intruder see him and kill him.

Crreeeeaaak. The floor moaned as something moved into his room, drawing ever closer to Ben's bed. His heartbeat quickened, as the realization of his impending doom gre heavier on his mind. He feared that he might suffocate under his covers, it was so hot. He needed to breathe. But the fear was welling up inside of him. He needed to breath. Raw terror coursed through his veins. He needed to breath. But he would die. He needed to breath!

He flipped the blankets off, and sucked in the cool air. Then he opened his eyes. Hovering in the air above him was a pair of glowing red orbs. Ben opened his mouth to scream, but a vise-like grip, cold as death, closed around his face.

The grip tightened, and lifted him off the bed, until he was suspended in mid-air. He tried once more to scream, but no sound would come. His eyes widened, his pupils dilating as he stared into the glowing orbs. The grip clenched, and once more Ben tried to scream, but it was too late. The grip passed through his skull like it was butter, and blood spattered the walls.

Ben bolted upright in his bed. Then the screams came.

28 days, 7 hours, 3 minutes

Justin flopped onto the couch, opening a can of Coke as he did so. He had just arrived back at his apartment after a long day of work at 7/11, and felt he deserved a break. Grabbing the remote, he flicked on the TV.

Buh. News. Boooring. He changed channels. News again? What, is everything news or something? Flicking through the channels, Justin saw that this was, indeed, the case. He sighed, and walked over to the fridge to make a sandwich, half-listening to the droning voice of the news anchor.

"...in this urgent report from the Department of Health, all American citizens are advised to be on their guard. A new variation of the avian flu virus has been identified in Nevada. Doctors are unsure of how the virus is transferred yet, but they are currently working around the clock to manufacture a vaccine, and to determine how to avoid contracting the disease. Symptoms include disorientation, lack of responsiveness to stimuli, and catatonia. If you witness anyone with this disease, please report it to the nearest hospital. We now return to your regularly scheduled program."

Justin was no longer interested in his sandwich.

28 days, 1 hour, 36 minutes

The man sat at a table with three others in a small room, lit only by a single light illuminating the table surface. He glanced at the five objects in his hand and smiled. He had the others right where he wanted them. They would never see it coming.

"Sir?" the female asked. "We are waiting."

He spread his cards out onto the table. "Royal flush."

Everyone sighed. "Unbelieveable," one man said. "That is the fourth straight game you've won."

The winner smirked. "Yeah, well, I'm a lucky guy."

"Whatever," said another. "I still think you're a cheater."

"You want to fight about it?" the man said, jumping up from his chair, his eyes flashing.

"Settle down," said the other. "We are all on the same side here. We don't need any fights."

The two men sat down slowly, still glaring at each other.

"Now then," said the second man. "Has the first stage of the Plan been implemented?"

"Yes," said the woman. "I successfully activated the Omegasis."

"Excellent. No doubt it has already taken effect."

"It has... it is slower than I would prefer, but it is working nonetheless."

"Very well," the man replied. "When can we expect to implement the second stage?"

The woman smiled, flashing some teeth. "Right on schedule."

~

I can layout the pages however you want; script style, storyboard style, or you can interpret it however you like. It's up to you as the artist.

As for drawing style, anything is good; preferably realistic, but anything will do.

So, if you're interested, you can e-mail me at josiahluke@hotmail.com.

I look forward to working with you!
Douglas

Postby Reactor on Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:01 am

Well, I would really love to find an artist to take over the drawing on my strip Luna, as I don't have the time to do it often enough and don't have the skill to do the kind of polished art required for syndication.

I DO have the time to write it, indeed I have tons of scripts already written, waiting for me to get around to drawing them. But I must say I have drawn quite a few of them over the last few years.

I think the strip has a lot of potential, but then I'm biased. :twisted:
Reactor
Regular Poster

Postby Twotimingpete on Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:12 pm

I am an artist seeking a writer for a new gag comic.

I already do a webcomic called Tarlickers (http://www.tarlickers.com) I don't intend to stop, but I have become interested lately in doing a purely gag comic.

Some continuity is OK. It would preferably be anthropromorphic with few or no human beings appearing. Aliens or something is also cool. :)

Preferably single row of frames format, color, some story arcing is fine.

I haven't worked out specific concepts yet, the idea would generally be cute characters and somewhat dark humor.

I want to be able to draw a fun gag comic and have some creative input, but generally don't know if I'm up to the task of making something consistently funny in a gag format with the burden of writing it soley on me.

To check out some of my stuff, go to tarlickers.com.

Contact me in this thread or by emailing me at twotimingpete@gmail.com if you're interested. If you do so, please bring some ideas to the table or some examples of things you have done before. The basic concept still has room to be worked out. Just want a partner.

Thanks!
Matt White
Creator & Co-Author,
Tarlickers & Gun Baby
Twotimingpete
Regular Poster

I need help.

Postby Drowemos on Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:09 am

For the last month I have not been able to keep up with my update schedule and things are only going to get worse. I just do not have enough free time to put the comics together. This summer has been brutal as far as free time goes and I can see on my calendar that I am books solid the next two months. I need help getting my comic out. Line art, coloring, assembly something or anything that would cut down on the time I needed to invest.

I can’t offer much in exchange for help: Links to your sites/ exchange of time in the future/ or maybe some pittance of money but nothing close to what your assistance would be worth.

If you think you can help out contact me and let me know what if anything you would like in exchange. Thanks so much for your help.
Drowemos
Regular Poster

Postby Mavrickindigo on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:04 pm

# Summary of your comic idea.

I have three that I'd like to try at the moment, but I have many many comic/story ideas I would love to do depending on what kind of artists are available.

Badly Drawn: A comedic story-driven comic about the king of an art-based country who can’t even draw. Problem is, in order to keep his throne, he has to win an art competition. To top it all off, a girl arrives at his castle to learn art from him and many mysterious groups arrive looking for her. I tried to do this myself, but it didn’t do so well without a good artist. Artists will have to have a wide range of experience from simple stick figures to mechs and futuristic things and dark/magical characters

Destiny Dreams: A more serious story about a young man named Richard traveling the fictional universe in an attempt to find his lost sister and to stop the evil entity known as Doom. More realistic than cartoon drawings are wanted, and also a wide variety of characters and locations.

Life in Mavrigo: The story of various people in the city of Mavrigo, a contemporary city with fictional elements. Main characters include Mavrick, the robot owner of a local restaurant, Censorman, a bumbling superhero, Cedric Mann, an attorney, and Kevin, the local comic relief. Together and separate they have various adventures and strange happenings in their lives. Art style is manga of course. Story is a mix of comedy and serious things, usually comedy though.

# A link to your writing sample

I've done not too much writing that I feel comfortable showing because I'm afraid of someone stealing it...but I have created these role play/stories on the site "rphaven.org" (all things written by "mavrickindigo" are mine)

http://www.rphaven.org/hof/tourn2.htm
http://www.rphaven.org/hof/ddst.html

(more can be provided on request)

# Contact information.

either pm here or email me at mavrickindigo@msn.com or through msn messenger with the same thing.

If you are willing to draw for me, we can figure out something for payment. At first I think it would be a free thing, but as it continues and we can get fans and stuff we can profit off merchandise and other things in the future.
Mavrickindigo

Postby McDuffies on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:45 pm

An artist needed for a comic about fat hamster who always burps.

Example of the script:

1 panel: Grumpy is sitting on the table.

2 panel: Grumpy is still sitting on the table.

3 panel: Grumpy burps.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Jim North on Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:23 pm

Dude, I'd be all over that, but I don't think I have the time for something so complicated. Plus, the two of us would have to eventually split up due to creative differences just on general principle.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:11 am

We could be like Fred Ghallagher and that other guy noone remembers anymore!
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Artist Looking for Writer

Postby Nironia on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Ello!

I am looking for writers of the fantasy, science fiction, speculative fiction or spy genre kind.

I am a beginner artist, having drawn in the Japanese anime style for a year. I am 16 year old Canadian girl, wishing to start a comic/ prepare a comic immediately. I have taken classes in manga and fantasy art. I am a lover of fantasy and science fiction specifically, and I love movies and novels of the genre from the beginning of the twentieth century till now.

If you are interested in making an offer for partnership, please email me at: nirone_3@hotmail.com.

My stuff is on Photobucket, so all you have to do is email me and I'll send you all the links.

Thanks!

^_^

Nironia

Pic Link:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k76/N ... 007011.gif
Insanity is the best Sanity for Madness
Nironia

Postby KODAMA on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:48 pm

I am looking for a good story.
Perhaps one that's sort of has its funny moments but also has a steady plotline. I've been hoping to be published for over a decade now, so a story that's fun and interesting enough to be published one day would be nice.

I would really really prefer that my writer used proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Here is a couple samles of my stuff so far:
http://www.skimlines.com
http://kodama.unixdaemons.com (2004 and older)
http://skimlines.deviantart.com (I don't update this much. I don't like DA's EULA.. heh)
and this thing I drew last night?:
http://k0dama.livejournal.com/651203.html

It usually takes me about a day or two to draw one page depending on the content. I actually spend half of the day struggling on what I want to happen next in the story, so perhaps if I have a story to work on, I won't take so long ;)

I've always worked in grayscale, but I could try producing color pages. Color pages always take two or more days to complete (Becaused it's sketched on paper, then outlined and colored in photoshop.)
I'm fairly good at imitating other people's styles too, if there's a particular want you want your characters to look or feel like.

Feel free to contact me through e-mail (best) at kodama_le at yahoo.com or AIM:kk0damaa Y!:kodama_le MSN:kodama_le@hotmail.com

Now that I'm no longer running my game server or working with game server emulators, I was hoping I could try again at webcomicking...

PS -- I will most likely turn down your story because I am busy and because I'm not interested.
Last edited by KODAMA on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KODAMA
Spodama Mon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion