How Can I Promote My Webcomic?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Ida
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ida »

Asuria wrote:This is a very useful topic. I've only started my webcomic uhm... about two or three weeks ago. I signed up at onlinecomics.net just yesterday. I wonder what that'll give. :oops:
12657 hits. At least, that's what it gave me. :wink:
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Post by Prettysenshi »

But what about my art? Sometimes I really think that people are just skimming around, looking for something manga-ish. I'm really, mainly, discouraged, because I have this strong feeling that my type of art style isn't wanted.

But besides that, thanks, for all the tips. I have added a newsbox to my site....I'm also thinking about simplifying the layout. What do you think?

Finally, I hope that all of the advice works. I don't think that I have the greatest of webcomics, but I do know that it's good.

Ida
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ida »

Well, your art is pretty manga-ish as it is (at least as manga-ish as mine..) Besides, people here and in a lot of webcomic communities aren't that keen of manga. I'm sure you'll find your audience. :D

Oh, and if you want a commentary on your art: One thing that struck me when reading through your archives was that your inking style changes almost with every comic. Sometimes (like here) you use all thin lines, while in other instances the comic seems to have been inked partially with a really thick felt tip (here's an example), or even with a mouse. Sticking to one style would help the comic look more consistant (and I'd heavily advise using the first (or perhaps the second) style. It's leagues above the others. Whatever you do, try to stay away from the mouse. :wink: )

Er, and just ignore this if you DON'T want a commentary. ^^;
Warning: This poster regularly makes unintentionally sexual posts. Or at least "unintentional" is what she claims...

Alschroeder
Regular Poster

Post by Alschroeder »

You can also do an article for Comixpedia, you get a free banner for that. (As well as getting paid a small amount per article now.) And also post in forums that are more-or-less connected to your interests. If you log into a lot of fantasy forums, (as I suspect you might from your comic) put a link to your webcomic there. Here, EVERYBODY has a webcomic to plug. On these other forums, they don't. So....
I get some hits from the DC Comics forums, where I sometimes log into to comment, for instance, since mine is a superhero(ine) strip.---Al
http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com--MINDMISTRESS
---Think the superhero genre is mined out? Think all the superhero ideas have been done?
Think again.
Also check out http://www.webcomicsnation.com/alschroe ... series.php--Flickerflame</a>

Asuria
Regular Poster

Post by Asuria »

specterz wrote:Doesn't onlinecomics.com require you to have, like, 10 or 15 comics on your site? I don't know precisely, I just know that I didn't have it yet :) Maybe next week.
You need 10 comics. I have 10 pages, so uhm... I decided to give it a try, though I think they'll refuse me because I have a not-quite-comic-styled prologue. But hey, it's worth the try. :D
Last edited by Asuria on Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Specterz
Regular Poster

Post by Specterz »

Asuria wrote:
specterz wrote:Doesn't onlinecomics.com require you to have, like, 10 or 15 comics on your site? I don't know precisely, I just know that I didn't have it yet :) Maybe next week.
You need 10 comics. I have 10 pages, so uhm... I decided to give it a try, though I think they'll refuse me because I have a noy-quite-comic-styled prologue. But hey, it's worth the try. :D
Oh yeah, that's right. I have to wait till Friday, I guess...
<a href="http://gamingalive.comicgenesis.com">Gaming Alive</a> updates TT!

Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Post by Prettysenshi »

The reason for my art being so inconsistant, is b/c I am always trying to find faster, easier ways to make my comic, while still trying to keep it looking nice and sharp. I think that I draw pretty good with a mouse, but I mainly do it b/c I'll be going to college soon, and I might not have access to a personal scanner.

Besides, that, the one where Ida said that I use a felt tip pen, well, I don't use felt tip pens. I scanned my drawing, and went over it with the mouse. It took a long time, but I did like the result.

I'll try to make my comic more consistant, really. If that's a main concern, then I'll try and change it, but I really don't think that my art is THAT bad looking due to drawing it with a mouse. That's just me. I like the current style that I'm using right now, on my webcomic's front page.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

Poo on your bad puns!

Protectmyballs
Cartoon Hero

Post by Protectmyballs »

prettysenshi2k6 wrote:But what about my art? Sometimes I really think that people are just skimming around, looking for something manga-ish. I'm really, mainly, discouraged, because I have this strong feeling that my type of art style isn't wanted.
Truthfully, I'll skip over a comic simply because it does have manga style art. I'd rather look at something original than another clone of [insert subbed anime title].
Image Image Image I am a Shmoe.

Ghastly
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ghastly »

Ironically there's no such thing as "manga styled" comic art in Japan.

Ryuko
Cartoon Hero

Post by Ryuko »

Ghastly wrote:Ironically there's no such thing as "manga styled" comic art in Japan.
I was going to argue with you, but upon thinking, I realized you were right. Manga art comes in all different styles.

Risky

Post by Risky »

The black and white intricate well-backgrounded strips that use some sort of manga style with the "shoujo" themes of somewhat soft-edged characters with round faces and big eyes (er even without big eyes) and lots of screen tones look REALLY AWFUL online. I can't think of a single exception. A lot of comics on keenime are like this, and generally I can't read them. Sad, really.

Don't fall for that trap.

Leko
Cartoon Hero

Post by Leko »

I've never really had a problem with mangesque artwork, as long as it's clear and simple, but that's my policy with most artwork anyway. Try to put too much into one image and it goes to hell. However, a lot of aspiring manga artists, in their attempts to measure up to the intricacy of publised works, make everythng so damn fancy that you can barely tell what's going in the picture.

Really, as long as you've got a story my brain is capable of following and artwork that I don't have to squint at to understand/isn't drawn with a dull pencil on lined paper by a three year old, I can dig it. I dunno about other readers though... that's just my personal standards.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

Risky

Post by Risky »

Leko wrote:I've never really had a problem with mangesque artwork, as long as it's clear and simple, but that's my policy with most artwork anyway.
Yes! Exactly! Mangesque is fine, I could even fall into that category, and lots of the comics I enjoy on keenime are "mangesque". It's trying to replicate the intricacy of an... intricate manga title online that really screws up some otherwise great artists' work. Don't try to draw Sailormoon, that's hard enough to pick the images out of in the dead-tree format, let alone squinting at my computer screen.

Leko
Cartoon Hero

Post by Leko »

Risky wrote:
Leko wrote:I've never really had a problem with mangesque artwork, as long as it's clear and simple, but that's my policy with most artwork anyway.
Yes! Exactly! Mangesque is fine, I could even fall into that category, and lots of the comics I enjoy on keenime are "mangesque". It's trying to replicate the intricacy of an... intricate manga title online that really screws up some otherwise great artists' work. Don't try to draw Sailormoon, that's hard enough to pick the images out of in the dead-tree format, let alone squinting at my computer screen.
The hair pisses me off the most. Damnit, you do not need to draw every freaking strand of hair on her head! :evil:
Image Image Image

Levi-chan
Cartoon Hero

Post by Levi-chan »

Well, if it makes the pic look awesomer - why not? (I.E., chobits)

(Note: I agree that some people overdo it though. But it's not really a case of detail vs. impact - I think it's more of an implementation issue, really.)

Leko
Cartoon Hero

Post by Leko »

Levi-chan wrote:Well, if it makes the pic look awesomer - why not? (I.E., chobits)

(Note: I agree that some people overdo it though. But it's not really a case of detail vs. impact - I think it's more of an implementation issue, really.)
I don't mind it if it looks good. But in the good stuff, like Chobits, when they put that much detail into the foreground, the backgrounds were much simpler to make it easier on the eyes. In fact, a lot of the time they just take out the background entirely and replace it with a simple pattern.

My beef is with comics that insist on overloading my brain with unnecessary details until the drawing is so complicated that I have no idea whether they were trying to draw a hot chick or a tentacle monster with boobs. Single drawings are one thing, but a comic is something entirely different and a lot of people fail to understand that.
Image Image Image

Mimo
Regular Poster

Post by Mimo »

I think changing your style based soley on what you think will make your comic more popular is a bad idea. The most important person to please is yourself.

McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Post by McDuffies »

I'm led to believe that when you draw sexy girls, people don't care much whether it's manga or not.

Pillywiggin
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Post by Pillywiggin »

mcDuffies wrote:I'm led to believe that when you draw sexy girls, people don't care much whether it's manga or not.
Mansex helps too.

8)
Image Image Image