May reflection/June anticipation

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Pockybot
Regular Poster

May reflection/June anticipation

Post by Pockybot »

Back on Buzzcomix.net there was this obligatory thread talking about what people did in May, how well they did, and what they hoped for or planned in the next month. So here ya go.

I didnt really do much myself. No epic marketing. I saw Star Wars and went to a big anime con. June I am just hoping to not have my work output affected to much by the heat.

Leko
Cartoon Hero

Post by Leko »

*looks at clock* Whoa hey, it's June now. Huh.

Hit a hundred comics in May... changed art styles... stopped using the four panel structure... changed my update schedule... big changes.

No real predictions for the next month... beyond the ideas I have for future plotlines, anyway, but I'm not telling those here. :wink:
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Post by Joel Fagin »

Comic's tootling along quite nicely, thank you. Up to #17 and the first story should end around #30 somewhere, after which I start plugging. Buffer's sitting comfortably too.

- Joel Fagin

Bekka
Regular Poster

Post by Bekka »

MAY:
I went indipendent! All grown up! It seems to have gone well, because I've kept my readership (at first it looked like 20% down, but they eventually got their act together and found my new site). I've added Google Ads, but I'm still waiting for the snail mail with the pin number to collect all the dollahs, sigh :-? On the upside, however, they generate more revenue than I had thought - if I can ever collect it - and they probably helped move my site up to the first page in google searches for "noob", although thenoob.keenspace is still over the new url. Incidentally, I find it awesome that at least a part of my new readers are people who found the site by entering "what is a noob" in google. I like to think that they're all clueless new gamers that were insulted by other players.

JUNE:
It's the comic's birthday on the 8th. I'm really hoping that people will send me art as I asked in another thread. Sortelli's drawing a great portrait :D
Plans... well, I wish I had much more time to dedicate to the comic, but since it takes a long time to draw (about 12 hours per episode), I feel that I'm always struggling just to update on time. Assuming I get some time to do it, I'd like to prepare a book and publish it with lulu.com, but I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to make sense of their formatting F.A.Q. Maybe I should search "what is a noob" in google instead. If I ever manage to cash in the ad money (maybe postmen eat letters from the States and I never will), I might invest in advertising - I was thinking on 8-bit theater - but then again I'll probably buy more interesting things, like pizza.
-------------
Gianna
http://www.thenoobcomic.com

Jakkal
Regular Poster

Post by Jakkal »

I finally ended the 5month long "issue that would not end" issue :P

Leko
Cartoon Hero

Post by Leko »

Duuude, Jakkal! That poem in your banner... I totally memorized it for an exercise in drama once! Haha, that's awesome!

...this is all.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

Jakkal
Regular Poster

Post by Jakkal »

ANd it describes my comic perfectly!

Turnsky
Cartoon Hero

Post by Turnsky »

i'm finally winding down the year-long running of chapter two, and beginning bigger and better things for foxfire, and the slow realisation of other plans involving it..
"when a hero dies, he becomes a legend, that legend, with time, becomes a myth, then a fable, that fable, is then carved in stone, and when that stone crumbles, it is lost" - Takahn.

Asuria
Regular Poster

Post by Asuria »

May:
I started a webcomic. Yuy! Yes, yes, a brand new webcomic. I already have *counts* 6 pages now! Wiiiih! And I already got like uhm... 15 visitors to my comic. Hey, better 15 than nothing, right? :D

June:
Exams! Yuy! My first one is on the 6th of June and my last one is on the 21st of June. Well, I don't exactly now if this is a good thing for my comic or a bad thing cause ok, I'll have to study a lot, but on the other hand, I get a lot of free time during the exams (how strange did that sound?). So, we'll see. I hope I might get like 30 visitors in June. Hehe... Ok, being sarcastic here.
But I already have a script until... July or so, so I just have to make the art. I think it'll turn out ok, even though I have exams.

Jackhass
Cartoon Hero

Post by Jackhass »

Hmmm...may was the first full month of Zoology. Introduced a bunch of characters, got a pretty good amount of visits for my first month I think and have got some pretty good reviews from people. Not a bad start.

Next month...just keep on doing the comic. I have a little storyline I'm starting today that will likely take up the first part of the month at least.

A zoo full of cute yet uproariously funny animals...how can you go wrong?

My Keenspace Forum!

Catlegend
Cartoon Hero

Post by Catlegend »

May:
Tried and discarded a way of inking to save time. Made a cover for the sampler. Made some paintings. Beat my best day for unique visitors, 570! Got better.

June: Graduating from the university of Oregon (fingers crossed!), hopefully I find a job...that'll pay ANYTHING...perferably WITHOUT a hair net...again. I want to make even BETTER comics...and wishfully faster.
;)

Bekka
Regular Poster

Post by Bekka »

Asuria wrote:May:
I started a webcomic. Yuy! Yes, yes, a brand new webcomic. I already have *counts* 6 pages now! Wiiiih! And I already got like uhm... 15 visitors to my comic. Hey, better 15 than nothing, right? :D
Make that 16, I'm a sucker for fairy tales!
-------------
Gianna
http://www.thenoobcomic.com

Asuria
Regular Poster

Post by Asuria »

Bekka wrote:
Asuria wrote:May:
Make that 16, I'm a sucker for fairy tales!
But we are June already, so you don't count anymore... :wink:

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Post by Warren »

I... I....

I'm still alive. And hope to be at the end of June also.

(Though I am going to the beach, and can't swim....)
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Catlegend
Cartoon Hero

Post by Catlegend »

You should wear those arm inflatey thingies! Those never fail to impress! Make sure they're the dolphin print ones! Chicks dig dolphins ;)

Specterz
Regular Poster

Post by Specterz »

May was pretty good! After a lot of thought, I decided to give the webcomic thing a go, because I need an outlet for my dry humour (and my girlfriend sure is tired of hearing it :) )
I hope to keep it going in June, and maybe, if people like it, I'll start plugging it here and there. For now I hope I have enough dedication/ideas to keep it going 3 times a week, but I've got a nice buffer now so I should be okay.

Also, I hope I do well on my last tests for this year (law schoo), and to go into the holidays unscathed :)
<a href="http://gamingalive.comicgenesis.com">Gaming Alive</a> updates TT!

Rowen
Regular Poster

Post by Rowen »

Interesting idea for a topic :)

May: Started my webcomic, finished my 3rd year exams, (one more year to go.) And have played copious amounts of Halo and Halo2 finishing both games in a month. (Not sure that

Birdie
Keeps telling everyone stuff

Post by Birdie »

MAY: I made the big leap from doing a simple MS Paint cut n paste comic to actually drawing my strip by hand. I started learning how to use GIMP and everything is coming along nicely. I also have a storyline and the characters look cuter than ever now!

JUNE: I plan on finishing revamping the site, and adding features like possible songs from the fictional band, and becomming a better artist.
"I find the first strip on this site incredibly offensive and awful" - Scott Kurtz
SuperFightFight More Filling than Douche Juice!

Soap Committee
Regular Poster

Post by Soap Committee »

May: I updated once!

June: Maybe I'll update again?

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Post by Warren »

catlegend wrote:You should wear those arm inflatey thingies! Those never fail to impress! Make sure they're the dolphin print ones! Chicks dig dolphins ;)
*buys "Water Wings"*

Oh, yeah baby! Check me now!

*struts*
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care