Page 1 of 2

Follow-Up

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:24 pm
by Driving Without Pants
A few months back (as I announced in this thread) I tried out to be the editorial cartoonist for The State News at Michigan State University. And...

...I made it! What's more, they said I blew the competition away. I'm ecstatic. Thanks for the kind words a few months ago.

I'll be starting in mid-May, doing 3 panels a week, which will be bumped up to 5 in the fall. I get paid $25 for each panel. Hopefully this won't affect my Sidwood schedule; I'll probably end up doing it weekly or something, which is better than my current average anyway.

In summation: wooo!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:53 pm
by Cope
Wooo indeed!

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:56 pm
by TheSuburbanLetdown
Woot!


(what is woot?)

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:00 pm
by Smight
WOO HOO!

(woot is like a train whistle...chuggah chuggah chuggah woot woot chuggah chuggah)

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:10 pm
by Kirb
Smight wrote: (woot is like a train whistle...chuggah chuggah chuggah woot woot chuggah chuggah)
Actually, Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "woot".

"woot" was originally an expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.
And stuff. Yeah.


Anyway, DWP, congrats!

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:13 pm
by LibertyCabbage
it'd be so cool to get $ for drawing comics =O

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 pm
by [AlmightyPyro]
Kirb wrote:
Smight wrote: (woot is like a train whistle...chuggah chuggah chuggah woot woot chuggah chuggah)
Actually, Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "woot".

"woot" was originally an expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.
And stuff. Yeah.
...










W00t!

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:02 pm
by Isukiyomi
Congratulations!

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:15 pm
by Tim
Woot is also an Eternal Sweeper.

Nice going, DWP :)

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:24 pm
by The Neko
Congrats! You're getting paid to be funny!

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:54 pm
by [geoduck]
Congrats!



I was my college's editorial cartoonist once upon a time. I got the job because I wandered into the newspaper office..

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:00 pm
by Jackhass
Cool...

...I did a few comics for my University newspaper myself.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:01 am
by Carlin
Congrats to ya! Now update your comi-oh wait you did.


I always thought woot was "We owned the other team". This is why I never use these abbreviations... To much backstory to these words. I just want to frag someone, not give them a history lesson.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:32 am
by Humbug
Isukiyomi wrote:Congratulations!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:43 am
by Prettydragoon
W00t! Gratz! Well done!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:47 am
by McDuffies
Congratulations!

And Kirb, thanks, I was wondering that myself.

I have a comic and illustrations in college papers as well. Last one about a student who studied for exam, then aliens came and sucked all knowledge out of his head. They need it to fix their ship.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:57 am
by Nanda
Paid?? That's awesome! Congratulations!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:52 am
by Rianeva
Congratulations! :D

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:43 am
by Corgan_dane
Nanda wrote:Paid?? That's awesome! Congratulations!
Off topic, but Nanda, dear, your signature rocks.

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:44 am
by Rkolter
Humbug wrote:
Isukiyomi wrote:Congratulations!