Getting the Urge

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Getting the Urge

Post by Noise Monkey »

Ok, as all (2...counting myself) of you know, I'm the writer/artist of one comic (Vapor Lock) and the artist on another (Troubled Times), both of which are featured on Dim Bulb Comics, along with the works of ye olde Chaos Cricket (Crooked Halo). Which is to say...I've pretty much got my plate full.

I mean, since I'm not nearly as fast as McDuffies (that man has ungodly speed), and I'm not as dedicated, I suppose, as Phalanx (how does she find the time?!?!?!), I fill most of the time I have available for comics with comics and I don't have much left to give.

But I have an idea.

Well, it's the beginning of an idea, and its awakened the urge to do another comic. I could ignore it, like I have in the past, but I feel...restrained by what I'm doing now. I'm committed to doing Vapor Lock and Troubled Times, but I want to do something different, too.

So, I'm wondering, do you ever get this feeling? (perhaps Miss Phalanx or Mr. McDuffies could explain their own experience in this, as well?)

User avatar
VileTerror
Anti-Villain
Posts: 3437
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:16 am
Location: n. 1 a place where something is located. 2 the action of location. - DERIVATIVES locational adj.
Contact:

Hell.

Post by VileTerror »

I get that urge every few seconds.
It may not be the best way to deal with it, but a healthy dose of lethargy goes a long way to keeping me from starting more work than I could possibly complete.




. . . or maybe it's the lethargy that's keeping me from actually finishing anything . . . hmm . . .
Haughty spirit and pride make for a wild roller coaster ride!
I mean, as long as you like fairly final endings.

User avatar
-Fanny pack
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:25 pm
Location: I don't want to help anymore.
Contact:

Post by -Fanny pack »

Phalanx is a girl?

On a side note, no, I don't get said feeling/urge/monkey.

User avatar
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:15 am
Location: City of Lights
Contact:

Post by Joel Fagin »

Ah, well, I write as well. If I get such an urge, I just turn it into a short story or a novel or something.

But, yes, I get them.

- Joel Fagin
Image

User avatar
The Neko
A Blithe ray of Schadenfreude
Posts: 3878
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: New York City

Post by The Neko »

I've heard that salt peter works well on that urge.
jag saknar självförtroende

User avatar
Meep the Greek
Regular Poster
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: NC, USA
Contact:

Post by Meep the Greek »

I get that alla damn time, but that's mostly because I have the attention span of a gnat and the discipline of a toddler. I come up with idea after idea (which is great), but they don't mean crap if I never end up doing anything with them 'cuz I've been distracted by the next shiny thing to come along. That's the biggest problem I've faced (and am still dealing with) with my comic - having the patience to stick with what I've got now. I have to remind myself multiple times a day that the new idea isn't going to run away, and I can always do it later. If I stick with my current idea and see it through to the end, than I'll have that much more skill and experience when it comes time for the new and better idea.

Try to determine whether you really, really want to tell this story, or if you're just getting the webcomic artist's equivalent of the Seven Year Itch. If you really want to do this story more than the other two, than you can bring VL to a conclusion, change the storyline to reflect your new idea (if possible), or talk to your partner(s) in TT and see if you can get a replacement artist.

Either way, make sure you write down your new idea and maybe even make some sketches if you find a scrap of free time.

User avatar
Axonite
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: NEPA
Contact:

Re: Getting the Urge

Post by Axonite »

Noise Monkey wrote: So, I'm wondering, do you ever get this feeling?
Yep. That's how I wound up doing a MWF spinoff of my daily comic.

Ruxen
Regular Poster
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:14 pm
Location: Canadaing along!
Contact:

Post by Ruxen »

Yes I've gotten the feeling, usually I let it stew around in my brain for a while and after a long time it doesn't look appealing anymore so that's my problem solved.
Image

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

In addition to my comic, I write. I'm writing what I hope one day will join the ranks of the almost endless supply of chliched fantasy novels, it's a project i've been working on for something like 12 years now and i keep rewriting and rewriting and rewriting so don't expect to see it any time soon. but in any case I constantly have the urge to write some new story, or worse i have about 101 ideas for webcomics, both serious and funny and my cursed hands are somehow unable to draw things the way I want to, hence the legos. What's worse is that none of these ideas fit well into any other medium than comics. So yes, I have the urge, all the time, and not only am i lacking time to persue it, but the ability to do anything about it at all, except of course whine.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

For me, the problem has been that lately, I've been feeling...trapped doing what I'm doing in the other two. This is not to say that I don't enjoy them, Troubled Times is starting to actually be fulfilling because I've worked out my rhythm so I can actually spend enough time on a page (usually) to satisfy my taste (not enough to please me, but I refuse to be a slave to my comics...more than I am already). Vapor Lock has also been a lot of fun for me and I have plenty of ideas for it. But stylistically, I can't do much seriousness with it. Honestly, the storyline I'm doing now has probably pushed the border of what I should allow in VL a little too far. I'm afraid if I don't find an outlet for that darker side of my creativity (which is the greater part of it) it's going to ruin VL, and I like my little world too much to let that happen.

Edit: and Legostar, I know EXACTLY what you mean. There are just some things that HAVE to be comics.

User avatar
Stinkywigfiddle
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Under your skin
Contact:

Re: Getting the Urge

Post by Stinkywigfiddle »

Noise Monkey wrote:So, I'm wondering, do you ever get this feeling? (perhaps Miss Phalanx or Mr. McDuffies could explain their own experience in this, as well?)
Yes. That's probably why I mostly do short story comics. I have a bunch of comics I want to do eventually.
ImageImage

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

Occasionally... but then I remember that I don't much care how serious Thespiphobia stays, so I just toss all my wacky ideas into that. That's where Seth came from. Writing novels helps too. I've got this really great idea for a novel about Lucifer that I've gotta put down sometime...
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Noise Monkey
Smells of pee
Posts: 5848
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:14 am
Location: A little short...
Contact:

Post by Noise Monkey »

When your comic is primarily serious, you can throw in funny bits a lot more easily than throwing in seriousness in a strip that is primarily funny.

Now, since my jokes are usually not that funny, I'm somewhere in between, but the principle stands...

User avatar
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 15660
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: right outside your window.
Contact:

Post by Dr Legostar »

Noise Monkey wrote:When your comic is primarily serious, you can throw in funny bits a lot more easily than throwing in seriousness in a strip that is primarily funny.

Now, since my jokes are usually not that funny, I'm somewhere in between, but the principle stands...
try doing serious in a funny comic that has a medium that doesn't even lend itself to seriousness... though i imagine sprite comics probably have the same problem i do.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Image

User avatar
Leko
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2263
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 pm
Location: Wandering my psyche in search of my mind
Contact:

Post by Leko »

legostargalactica wrote:
Noise Monkey wrote:When your comic is primarily serious, you can throw in funny bits a lot more easily than throwing in seriousness in a strip that is primarily funny.

Now, since my jokes are usually not that funny, I'm somewhere in between, but the principle stands...
try doing serious in a funny comic that has a medium that doesn't even lend itself to seriousness... though i imagine sprite comics probably have the same problem i do.
I think the biggest problem sprite comics have is existing.
Thespiphobia: (n) An irrational fear of actors.
From Greek: thespian (actor), phobos (fear).
Image Image Image
ImageANARCHY! ANARCHY! ANARCHY!

User avatar
Alaina
Regular Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:37 pm
Location: Portland until California
Contact:

Post by Alaina »

Yes, I felt The Urge when I was in the middle of writing out the plot for my first comic. So I said "Screw it," and combined the two ideas. Granted, this happened before the comic saw the light of day, so perhaps it's not possible for you when you've already physically started one.

User avatar
Nyke
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 4704
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:02 am
Location: OT AND GD HAVE MERGED! *jumps out the window*
Contact:

Post by Nyke »

*calls Toxic*

*waits for him to pick up*

"Hello."
SURGE!!
My LJ | ComicGen CoH/V | Vampire/Amazon looking for Betas. Want to sign up? PM me. | Figure out my Avatar's joke, and win bragging rights.

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

I've got two floating around in my head right now.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Re: Getting the Urge

Post by Phalanx »

-Fanny pack wrote:Phalanx is a girl?
...


Why does everyone keep saying that?
Noise Monkey wrote:So, I'm wondering, do you ever get this feeling? (perhaps Miss Phalanx or Mr. McDuffies could explain their own experience in this, as well?)
All the time. As of this writing, I'm technically doing 2 and a 1/3 comics, 3 and 1/3 if you count 'The Essence of...".

And I have ideas for 3 more that I think would be awesome but I haven't got time to do. I've settled to writing them down and even doing prelimenary sketchs and storing them in an 'ideas' book, but realistically, I can tell you with great confidence doing too many projects at once is a bad idea. Some of them are bound to get neglected, like poor HNTRAC is by me right now.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

Telecoda
Regular Poster
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:43 am
Location: Low and lacking motivation
Contact:

Post by Telecoda »

At present I had a very disorganised approach to drawing. Single panel gags one minute, greeting cards next, nothing for ages.

Since xmas I'm back in the drawing vibe again and found this place with some like minded folks.

I seem to have lots of different ideas and nowhere to channel them.

Or I get bored...
Image

Post Reply