Page 1 of 3

Superhero webcomics

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:43 pm
by Dburkhead
Since my own "Cold Servings" is a take on the superhero meme, I was wondering what other superhero webcomics are out out there. I've seen some parodies but haven't found any "serious" superhero themed comics.

Any out there?

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:34 pm
by Mr.Bob
I've always thought the term serious superhero comic as a bit of an oxymoron, but here are a few superhero webcomics that I do know of.

Mind Mistress
point Gaurdian
Magellan
The Japanese Beetle
Skirting Danger

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:53 pm
by Dburkhead
"Serious" as opposed to parody comics such as Supermegatopia.

And I'm trying to figure out how I blanked on Skirting Danger considering it's on my links list and one of the comics I follow regularly.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:06 pm
by McDuffies
A lot of comics on Graphic Smash might be considered superhero, one way or another.

But if there's a lack of serious superheroes, that's very understandable. Superheroes have been choking american comics ever since Superman, and people who go out on web are usually fed up with them.
I like the idea of "Superosity" being considered superhero comic.Image

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:32 pm
by Phact0rri
I dunno super hero is really a broad playing field these days. As there are plenty of "super hero" comics that arn't about super powers or heroics. I concider a lot of stuff in that vein like alias and tomb raider and junk like that as Dynamic comics, or action/adventure.

I'm working on a possible second comic that could be concidered "super hero" but its not super power related or about heroics. but really its up to the individual reader as they see fit.

most people will assume most american comics are "super hero" comics... in print, when there are many put out by marvel, dc and image that arn't really in that sort of paradigm.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:52 pm
by Tarotreader3
serious superhero comic as a bit of an oxymoron
somebody hasn't been reading their Watchmen, Authority (first run), storm watch (ellis run), etc...

that's an odd concept though, a super hero web comic...

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:04 pm
by Jeffy
Slapstick was a superhero comic, with serious superheroes, but it wasn't serious

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:29 pm
by Dburkhead
mcDuffies wrote: Superheroes have been choking american comics ever since Superman, and people who go out on web are usually fed up with them.
That's an interesting viewpoint. However, I strongly suspect that the vast majority of comics read in the US, by readership, are not superhero comics. After all, most newspapers have a comics page or two and major dailies have larger circulations than all the comic companies combined. Then there are the collected prints of these newspaper strips. How does for example the sales of "Garfield at Large" compare, with those of Spider Man?

The real problem, IMO, with superhero comics is not the "glut" but that they tend to be very much in a similar mold. Everybody's followed the explored trail and not much running off the beaten path.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:37 pm
by Leko
I write a superhero comic, but it's neither serious nor online. It's about a character named Fatman. I publish it in my school paper.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:38 pm
by Jeffy
I like Death's Head and Death's Head II, and not because Dr. Who was in Death's Head

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:53 pm
by Joel Fagin
Jeffy_Weffy wrote:I like Death's Head and Death's Head II, and not because Dr. Who was in Death's Head
Image

- Doctor Who Magazine #135

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:20 pm
by Phact0rri
Jeffy_Weffy wrote:Slapstick was a superhero comic, with serious superheroes, but it wasn't serious
Slapstick was awesome. They should do an updated Slapstick, cours knowing Marvel that'll never happen. they always bring back the worst characters no one cares about. or bring them back all sucky.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:30 pm
by Alschroeder
phactorri wrote:
Jeffy_Weffy wrote:Slapstick was a superhero comic, with serious superheroes, but it wasn't serious
Slapstick was awesome. They should do an updated Slapstick, cours knowing Marvel that'll never happen. they always bring back the worst characters no one cares about. or bring them back all sucky.
I loved Slapstick. Still have the first comic....
BTW, I do a serious superhero webcomic....as mentioned before, the aforementioned Mindmistress. With a secret identity unlike any used in comics before.
The nice thing about webcomics though, is that there I'm a refreshing novelty, not the bread and butter for the comics stores.---Al

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:09 pm
by Psiogen
dburkhead wrote:
mcDuffies wrote: Superheroes have been choking american comics ever since Superman, and people who go out on web are usually fed up with them.
That's an interesting viewpoint. However, I strongly suspect that the vast majority of comics read in the US, by readership, are not superhero comics. After all, most newspapers have a comics page or two and major dailies have larger circulations than all the comic companies combined. Then there are the collected prints of these newspaper strips. How does for example the sales of "Garfield at Large" compare, with those of Spider Man?
That's true, but Garfield occupies an entirely different cultural niche from the comic book industry. I don't think Garfield and Spider-man are even in competition with each other in any real sense. I doubt most Garfield readers consider themselves "comic book fans". (I also doubt most Garfield readers are sentient lifeforms, but that's another discussion.)

So the underwear-on-the-outside brigade may not affect the popular perception of what a newspaper comic is, but they've certainly affected the popular perception of what a comic book is.

Anyhoo, my favorite superhero comic on the web is <a href="http://killroyandtina.com">Killroy and Tina</a>. It's a comedy, but I wouldn't call it a parody.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:28 pm
by Jeffy
man, i'm just gettin' quoted all over the place

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:34 pm
by Jim North
There's Antihero-for-Hire, over on Keenspot . . . it's half-serious, at least. If it's still there at all. Haven't checked back on it for a while.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:38 pm
by Leko
I read that one. It's still going. It's serious, and yet sarcastic and parody-esque at the same time. I'm not sure what category to put it in, frankly, and that's probably a good thing.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:54 pm
by Evil Jamie!
I plan on doing a super heroish kinda comic. No underware on the outside though. >_>
It'll be serious but it won't be without humor. The thing I loved about the Spider-man comics was spidy way a freakin' wise ass all the time. The thing I hated about the movies was he wasn't.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:38 am
by Col
Evil Jamie! wrote:The thing I loved about the Spider-man comics was spidy way a freakin' wise ass all the time. The thing I hated about the movies was he wasn't.
Glad to hear somebody else noticed.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:51 am
by Birdie
See my comic is only super... it's not heroic at all, but hey that's why I put super twice in my title!