Page 1 of 2

Need an opinion...

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:42 am
by Nanda
...and I'm sure plenty of you have 'em. Tim mentioned over in the avatar exchange thread that I have a very tiny archive, which, at this point, I do. However, I'm also sitting on four or five ready-to-go comics at this time. I've actually been posting Ugly Girl stuff at deviantArt for a long time now - just not necessarily comic panels - and have a few more strips and quite a bit of fanart. So I was wondering: The plan was to update Ugly Girl weekly - I'm a stay-at-home Mom, and while I have time for the comic in general, I don't have enough to crank it out more often than that - should I post everything I've got? I thought it might be better to wait initially, and spread out the stuff I had over the weeks until I had the Keenspace system figured out (which I pretty much do now) and had my site looking not-so-craptacular, which I realize now is an ongoing process. Hell, at this point I doubt it matters, since I'm sure no one's reading it yet anyway, but should I do a big upload? It's probably better to have a bigger archive than a gorgeous site, right?

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:12 am
by Johndisko
spread it out. that way if you cant make one one time, you have a reserve to choose from

plus, like megatokyo, if you cant make a comic, you can just post some fan art to please the masses until you can get another comic up

thats my two hundreths of a dollar

-jd

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:15 am
by Warren
No need to do more than you can handle. Go with your original schedule.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:19 am
by Col
Yeah, look at it as a buffer, so you won't have to have the pressure of getting a new comic up the night before. You'll have a big enough archive eventually. May as well take your time.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:01 am
by McDuffies
Yep, unless you hurry somewhere. BTW those two comics look interesting.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:45 am
by Dotty
You're a stay at home mom. I really can't hold it against you to want a buffer zone in case accidents, parental issues, or tragedy (god forbid) strikes.

In fact, I'm demanding you spread it out :P

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:51 am
by Godoftarot
Unless you miraculously get the extra time, I would definately say yeah, spread it out. If you think you'll have the time, you could set up a twice a week schedule, but that's up to you.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:31 am
by Nanda
TdotOdot2k wrote:You're a stay at home mom. I really can't hold it against you to want a buffer zone in case accidents, parental issues, or tragedy (god forbid) strikes.
Ack! Never say the "t" word to a mom!
mcDuffies wrote:BTW those two comics look interesting.
Oh! That's great to hear. :D

Well, everyone seems to be of the same opinion, so I guess it's a good idea to stick with my game plan. Thanks for the input everybody!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:14 pm
by Jeffy
indeed! actually, I have a problem now, there's a girl I know who would probably like the comic, but if I send her the link, she might get the wrong idea...

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:17 pm
by Leko
Just tell her it reminded you of her because of how absolutely opposite of her it was in every way. Uncannily opposite, even. But don't overdo it or she'll think you're making excuses.

You know, if guys would just ASK us how our minds worked, and were polite about it, they wouldn't have to remain in ignorance. ^_^

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:31 pm
by Jeffy
well.... she was happy when I first moved into my house, and there was a beat up doll in the gutter half buried in the snow, and I told her it reminded me of her

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 pm
by McDuffies
If there was only a comic called "Hot chick".
I'm actually surprised there isn't.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:37 pm
by Nanda
mcDuffies wrote:If there was only a comic called "Hot chick".
I'm actually surprised there isn't.
There probably is... It's the one that comes over to my comic every now and then and tells it it has a fat ass.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:45 pm
by Nyke
Jeffy?

Man, the olbies are really coming back, ain't they?

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:02 pm
by MariaAndMichelle
Nanda wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:If there was only a comic called "Hot chick".
I'm actually surprised there isn't.
There probably is... It's the one that comes over to my comic every now and then and tells it it has a fat ass.
:lol: :lol:

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:41 am
by Odd1
Jeffy_Weffy wrote:indeed! actually, I have a problem now, there's a girl I know who would probably like the comic, but if I send her the link, she might get the wrong idea...
chigger! :D YO DUDE. Welcome back.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:33 am
by McDuffies
Jeffy has been around all this time, popping in now and then.
MariaAndMichelle wrote:
Nanda wrote:
mcDuffies wrote:If there was only a comic called "Hot chick".
I'm actually surprised there isn't.
There probably is... It's the one that comes over to my comic every now and then and tells it it has a fat ass.
:lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:18 am
by Jeffy
holy geez, people remember the chigger? anyway yeah, came back because I'm actually going to smash my face in the wall and start pounding away on the comic again, have too many ideas I think are good for the comic to not do it anymore... and I drew a gnome minus Jubilee sparkles....

Image

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:07 pm
by Odd1
Hell yeah, the chigger was wicked.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:04 pm
by Ian Moulding
Leko wrote:You know, if guys would just ASK us how our minds worked, and were polite about it, they wouldn't have to remain in ignorance. ^_^
I asked a girlfriend (Now ex- ) what she was thinking, once. She wanted to know what I meant by that. I said I meant "What are you thinking about?"

"Well I don't know. What are you thinking about?"

Things went downhill from there.

And Nanda, keep to a schedule that you feel you can meet. I've dropped comics from my bookmarks because they stopped meeting their own schedule. RPGWorld is one I used to enjoy; I hear they've started updating again, but I no longer care. If you have a good reason for missing an update or two, your readers will stick around. But if you fall behind and disappear for several scheduled updates for no apparent reason, people will leave.[/i]