50 MB Limit--Just a Question

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
User avatar
Zph719s
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

50 MB Limit--Just a Question

Post by Zph719s »

There's a new message posted on the Keenspace Main Site that says that there is a 50 MB limit on the Server. I know that I have a LOT of stuff uploaded to Keenspace, but, believe it or not, all of it is comic related: I have a game based around my comic, some .pdf formats of the comic, reviews, etc (some of them are not yet linked, but that will soon be remedied in time).

My problem is: I have no clue how much memory it is taking up. Is there a way we can tell? I'm very low-tech and I really don't want my comic to get deleted from the server because I have extra stuff.

Does anyone know?

User avatar
Soap Soaperson
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1182
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:44 am
Location: Florida

Post by Soap Soaperson »

I use SmartFTP, and it tells me how much is in a folder. I don't know how it is for other programs, though!
Yay. | Yay Part II.

---

NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.

<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Don't worry, Flatwood. If you exceeded 50MB, it just runs a check and sends Kisai a warning. If it's all comic related, then it's all good. The older line used to be 25 MB, as a matter of fact.

And you can check that information at http://siteadmin.keenspace.com

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

Shhh... aren't .pdf's of episodes leeching of the bandwith? I mean, they don't have adds.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

RPin wrote:Don't worry, Flatwood. If you exceeded 50MB, it just runs a check and sends Kisai a warning. If it's all comic related, then it's all good. The older line used to be 25 MB, as a matter of fact.

And you can check that information at http://siteadmin.keenspace.com
Actually, no. I think no greater than 10% of your comic archive size was the stated limit for non-comic material. The reason Kisai gave was that Keenspace is for webcomics, and not games, and when you think about it'd be too easy for people to take advantage of the unlimited bandwidth by throwing up a few comics so they can host a game.

Which reminds me, I really need to start reading FlatWood for Webcomic Finds
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Yeah, I just read that thread at help center. Forget what I said, I got it all wrong!

Anyways... My accounts seems to be around 60% comics and 40% images. They indeed are comic related and always are displayed with the aid of Yarps's javascript code. I assume Kisai will be fine with that.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

Well... You haven't gone over 50MB, have you? ;)

I'd probably have that same problem... I'm hosting the Workshop!
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Dalis
Regular Poster
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:50 pm
Contact:

Post by Dalis »

At least they're giving us a heads up. There are some people out there wh are hush hush and don't mention things like that at all. Normally the sites like tripod and such. Related or not, it's mostly that keenspace has a better personal touch in my opinion. It's nice.
-Dalis

Image

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

[quote="Phalanx"
Actually, no. I think no greater than 10% of your comic archive size was the stated limit for non-comic material. The reason Kisai gave was that Keenspace is for webcomics, and not games, and when you think about it'd be too easy for people to take advantage of the unlimited bandwidth by throwing up a few comics so they can host a game.

Which reminds me, I really need to start reading FlatWood for Webcomic Finds[/quote]
Come to think of it, if you have a sprite comic with ripps from some game, it's only logical to host the game too. :wink:

User avatar
Zph719s
Regular Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:50 am
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Thanks

Post by Zph719s »

I use SmartFTP, and it tells me how much is in a folder
Thanks. I'm too stupid to check things like that. I use SmartFTP as well and I'm under the limit. *whew*
Don't worry, Flatwood. If you exceeded 50MB, it just runs a check and sends Kisai a warning. If it's all comic related, then it's all good. The older line used to be 25 MB, as a matter of fact.
Thanks. My main concern was getting my comic deleted without any notice. I need to back up most of my images, b/c some of the stuff would just be lost forever...
Shhh... aren't .pdf's of episodes leeching of the bandwith? I mean, they don't have adds.
Yeah, that would be bad if I was allowing people to download them. They're just for my personal use. I was trying to make a comic book format like the one you and Faub are trying to get put out. But it didn't work out. I was going to delete them anyway. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Actually, no. I think no greater than 10% of your comic archive size was the stated limit for non-comic material. The reason Kisai gave was that Keenspace is for webcomics, and not games, and when you think about it'd be too easy for people to take advantage of the unlimited bandwidth by throwing up a few comics so they can host a game.
I understand that completely and that's definitely not the intent. The game's something extra to boost interest in the game. And it's only like 3MB and that's less than 10% of the 40 MB I have of comics and/or webpage images. Once it gets completed it'll go to one of the various GameMaker sites fo download, but it's not finished. Really, it's not for the general public, anyway, it's just for fans of the comic. Oh well.
Which reminds me, I really need to start reading FlatWood for Webcomic Finds
I'm frightened. Be Gentle.

Thanks for your help guys.

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

mcDuffies wrote:
Come to think of it, if you have a sprite comic with ripps from some game, it's only logical to host the game too. :wink:[/quote]
Hmmm... I still have McDuffie's "cat at advice booth" on my site....

*steals all McDuffies stuff*
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

What's that got to do with it?

User avatar
Vorticus
Backrub Fiend
Posts: 6163
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Walking on sunshine
Contact:

Post by Vorticus »

mcDuffies wrote:What's that got to do with it?
Obviously because he has something from you on his site, he should put all of your stuff on his site as well.

Post Reply