Page 1 of 17
Easy there, old timer.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:27 pm
by Van Douchebag
Well, today I got one of the biggest surprises of my life as I went through pictures from the San Diego convention - all these famous webcomic artists are old.
Looking from face to face of the Keenspotters... looking at Mike and Jerry from PA... just... NO!
I don't know - I was under some weird impression that the majority of webcomic artists are in their early twenties.
I myself felt I was a little late to get in the game at age 17 when I concieved White Hydra and age 18 when I started to crank it out, but now looking at people's ages I'm a little put off and little ego inflated.
Just how old is everyone? I'm 18 (Birth date: February 24th, 1986)
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:32 pm
by Warren
One of these again...
I was born in 1970, and I think I'm the third oldest here.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:36 pm
by [AOD]
I'm 16, but I'll be 17 next May!
!~AoD
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:07 pm
by LAGtheNoggin
Most big comic'ers have been at it for a few years, hence the large number of people in their early twenties. I'm 19 here, the comic was conceived when I was 15 in an attempt to improve traditional skills, and, uh, I still can't draw.
19 means I'm part of the '85 crew; Other members include the ever infamous Digital War, Trinket(?), Mr.Bob, Soap(?) and a few others I can't really remember....
For some odd reason I was expecting Douchebag to be older - probably the beard - but yeah, that explains a bit.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:11 pm
by Van Douchebag
Most people I meet think I'm in my twenties. I was growing a beard at age 15.
I still can't grow a moustache though, strangely.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:18 pm
by Sippan
I'm 20 years and 2 days old ^.^
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:34 pm
by Brockway
20. 21 in about 1/2 a year.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:38 pm
by Zhan_Dvega
LAGtheNoggin wrote:19 means I'm part of the '85 crew; Other members include the ever infamous Digital War, Trinket(?), Mr.Bob, Soap(?) and a few others I can't really remember....
Zhan D'vega, Feb 6th y'all ;D
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:32 pm
by Alaina
I'm 18. And I think the reason many cartoonists are old is because it took them that long to actually get good at what they do.
Perhaps once they were young, like us...
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:36 pm
by Soap Soaperson
LAGtheNoggin wrote:19 means I'm part of the '85 crew; Other members include the ever infamous Digital War, Trinket(?), Mr.Bob, Soap(?) and a few others I can't really remember....
Yup. March 24th. I wonder why that year gave such a big crop of webcomics artists? Well, on Keenspace, anyway. I'm not sure what the majority age is, but it seems to be 17 to 20.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:39 pm
by Toxic
I'm 18 (DOB is July 18, 1986). I started on Keenspace when I was 15, I starting drawing comics at age 6. Yes, that's right, age 6. I had a comic called "The Toilet Zone" I need to dig up somewhere in my basement...
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:56 pm
by KathleenJ
< 21 in a little over a month. Started on th' Keenspace at 17.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:59 pm
by Terotrous
18. Birth date 1986/01/05
Frankly I was surprised the Keenspace crowd wasn't a little older. I originally figured the average age was around 21-23. However, after the first age thread I knew better.
It feels weird not to be the youngest one around because I always am everywhere else.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:07 pm
by SuperSnob
I'm 19. Birthdate is July 3rd 1985. I've been drawing comics since I was about 5, but I did my first "serious" one 'round age 16-17. I started this one at the end of November so I would've been 18...

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:15 pm
by Resolve
Uncanny! hey I started my first keenspace comic when i was 15 too. Back before there was an interenet! in 1806. I updated every mwf in my brain.
I'm 19 too.
It's kind of weird, when I first started I thought I was in the age minority.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:21 pm
by Xmung
ahem....
...38...

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:22 pm
by Patch
I
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:22 pm
by Esoterik
Birthdate: July 22, 1984. So that makes me 20. Yay!
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:30 pm
by Garasade
I'm 22. I guess I am one of the older ones.
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:58 pm
by Van Douchebag
Alaina wrote:I'm 18. And I think the reason many cartoonists are old is because it took them that long to actually get good at what they do.
Perhaps once they were young, like us...
Not really. A lot of older artists are raped by the new ones.
Just look at this guy's work. He's 16 or 17 if I remember and chills at the Spawn.com forum
http://www.geocities.com/art_of_rodrigo/main.html