Page 1 of 4
Hello, I'm Lord The Night Knight.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:33 pm
by Lordthenightknight
I have yet to find a 'welcome new members' thread on this forum. So I'm introducing myself here. If there is such a thread, please tell me and I'll move this.
Anyway, I just got an acount set up and am wating for my password. The comic will be called "Death by Chibi". It will eventually cover several different comics. But for now, I'm focusing on a fan sprite comic of the anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion".
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:37 pm
by Wp
Hey, welcome. I'm a new guy myself, so I wish you the best of luck. I'm not a big fan of NGE though...
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:42 pm
by Lordthenightknight
Well this isn't going to follow the show that closely. In this comic, the world of the near future is transformed into a fantasy world. It will be a sprite comic using modded Final Fantasy 6 sprites. (I can draw, but I'm such a perfectionist, I would only update every other week.)
Future comics will be different. One will be the X-men getting bored and playing Dungeons & Dragons in the Danger Room. It will use modded Chrono Trigger sprites.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:50 pm
by Van Douchebag
Sprite Comics make Baby Jesus cry.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:55 pm
by Psiogen
My advice to anyone considering doing a sprite comic is: make your own sprites. It's very easy, and will make your comic actually stand out from the crowd.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:12 pm
by Soap Soaperson
Welcome!
But yes, as others have said - sprite comics are getting to be less and less of a novel idea, I'm afraid. However, if you have some sort of new spin on them, then go for it!
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:17 pm
by Lordthenightknight
Im not interested in being novel. I just want to make a good comic. All the stories I'm doing will have a plot rather than random gags, for one thing.
And as for original sprites, I'll be making some for my third comic, "Warrior! Pope". It's about an alternate Earth where the pope is a superhero. But he'r getting on in years, so he has to name a succesor. (There will be magical girl nuns, and St. Peters basillica turing into a giant robot.) And no, this is not meant to make fun of catholicism. It's just meant to be silly.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:19 pm
by RPin
Welcome! My avatar is a sprite as well!
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:38 pm
by Asarea
Welcome you two
and if it's a real GOOD sprite comic, well, no problem with that - but you always will have to mess with many, many bad sprite comics and the opinions about them ...
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:59 pm
by War
By not doing a sprite comic you'll increase your chances of not being run over repeatedly, then being set fire to.
Re: Hello, I'm Lord The Night Knight.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:19 pm
by Pockybot
lordthenightknight wrote:But for now, I'm focusing on a fan sprite comic of the anime "Neon Genesis Evangelion".

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:22 pm
by Xmung
has anyone ever done a sprite tentacle comic?
[and that, my friends, is my 1000th post!]
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:22 pm
by Lordthenightknight
Digital, that isn't quite true anymore. After the backlash from too many 8-bit Theater and Bob & George knockoffs, there are now too many hand-drawn comics. Yours is pretty good so far, and I'll read more. But there are overdone cliches in all types of web comics. I'm so sick of angst-ridden antihero comics, that I'll go somewhere else if the comic even looks like that.
EDIT: At least people
should realize that sprite comics are not the only cliche in web comics.
And pockybot, I don't even know what you're trying to say. I'm just doing a sprite comic because, as I already said, I can't draw that well and am too critical of what I can do.
As for xmung, you can find a tentacle monster on
http://tsunamichan.keenspace.com/.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:27 pm
by Ruxen
Eh, there's an exception to everything and I'll hold my opinion on your work until I see it. I'll take a gander at your comics if you plug em'. Welcome to Keenspace! Also congrats to xmung on your 1000th post!
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:31 pm
by Lordthenightknight
ruxen, you've probably been asked this before, but does your comic have anything to do with the movie/comic "The Crow"?
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:32 pm
by Ruxen
lordthenightknight wrote:ruxen, you've probably been asked this before, but does your comic have anything to do with the movie/comic "The Crow"?
Nope, it also has nothing to do with the professional print comic "The Crow".
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:37 pm
by Skylark King
lordthenightknight wrote:there are now too many hand-drawn comics.
I'll call Stan Lee and tell him to knock it off. Sprite comics don't have a thing on Fresca or even Slice comics. I don't want to talk about Squirt comics, though, leaves a really bad taste in my mouth...
Yeah I got nothin'
Re: Hello, I'm Lord The Night Knight.
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:43 pm
by Van Douchebag
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:47 pm
by KittyKatBlack
Welcome. Just a few pointers:
You're never going to fully convince anyone that sprite comics are any good here, but that doesn't mean we hate you.
Kisai, on the other hand will hate you.
If War tries to kill you, don't take it personally. He tries to kill everyone. (And succeeds about 99% of the time).
If 'the box' comes along, it's up to you if you want to get into it. I hear it's not really all that bad.
lordthenightknight wrote:And as for original sprites, I'll be making some for my third comic, "Warrior! Pope". It's about an alternate Earth where the pope is a superhero. But he'r getting on in years, so he has to name a succesor. (There will be magical girl nuns, and St. Peters basillica turing into a giant robot.) And no, this is not meant to make fun of catholicism. It's just meant to be silly.
You should read
Battle Pope sometime...
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:49 pm
by War
One of the things we really abhor is comics with no effort behind them. The number one example of this being sprite comics.
How many sprite comics using badly ripped sprites(or stolen from other sites) pasted on a badly made MS Paint background (a line, two colours)? I've seen dozens, and I'm not making that number up. They're in decline now because of all the hatred aimed their way, but there's still a lot around.
Drawing comics is my hobby. It typically takes me 4 hours and more to make one comic, and I got to where I am by working hard and never giving up. When someone starts advertising a webcomic that he spent 5 minutes making in his IT classes I have an incredible urge to throttle that person.
Then again I have urges to throttle most people.
With their own intestines.
But that's just me.