The Death and Return of Sidwood

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Sidwood 2.0
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:37 pm
Contact:

The Death and Return of Sidwood

Post by Sidwood 2.0 »

Hello, everyone. A lot of you may not remember me, but some of the veterans will. I used to post here a lot about a year ago, when my webcomic Sidwood was still active. Currently, the comic is on hiatus and will remain there until I set up shop at Michigan State this fall.

What have I been up to this past year? Well, I've been dabbling in animation and film-- mostly through the Television Production program at my high school. Anyhoo, I'd just like to share something that I've been working on for the past month or so:

SIDWOOD: THE ANIMATED SERIES!

Obviously, the thing isn't anywhere near complete. It will be going on Newgrounds when it's all done. I'd appreciate feedback from you guys, especially those who remember the old webcomic.

Also, if McBean still posts here, I'd like to get in contact with him... y'see, he's done a lot of Flash work himself (check it out on Newgrounds, it's great stuff) If you're out there, I'd like to perhaps do some animation collaboration sometime in the future.

Well, that's it for now.
~ Mike Ramsey

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Sorry to be rude or anything, but you know, you should've kept this hosted at NG. Kisai's not going to be happy when she finds out how much bandwidth you're drawing without even placing the advertisement tag.
Last edited by RPin on Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sidwood 2.0
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:37 pm
Contact:

Post by Sidwood 2.0 »

1) The banners are on the main site. The only link to this page in existence is the one right above your post. Besides, it's not required that you have a banner on every single page, that's only encouraged.

2) The file itself is less than 2 megs, so I don't really think there will be a bandwidth problem.

3) The file is webcomic-related.

4) The file will only be online temporarily, just long enough to get people's opinions.

Just clearing that up in case anyone had a similar reaction.
~ Mike Ramsey

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Calm down, dude! I'm just trying to help here. Listen, you can wait for her to mallet you or pay attention to my advice. It's your call.
Sidwood 2.0 wrote:1) The banners are on the main site. The only link to this page in existence is the one right above your post. Besides, it's not required that you have a banner on every single page, that's only encouraged.
Encouraged? The KS TOS states that the placement of the advertisement tag is mandatory on every page hosted on your site
Sidwood 2.0 wrote:2) The file itself is less than 2 megs, so I don't really think there will be a bandwidth problem.
The recomended size for files should not exceed 75 kb. I know how hard that is to accomplish, but 2MB sounds a big deal of exception to me.
Sidwood 2.0 wrote:3) The file is webcomic-related.
Of course it is. But it doesn't mean it can't be a violation to KS rules as well
Sidwood 2.0 wrote:4) The file will only be online temporarily, just long enough to get people's opinions.
And I'm fine with it. I don't have power to change anything. I just tried to offer some advice, but since you don't need it I humbly apologize and leave. Good luck, sir.

Wp
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:08 am
Contact:

Post by Wp »

Amazing. Smooth and the "camera" work is pretty professional. Is it actually going to be an animated series though? Or just a promotional thingy? Cuz if it takes a long time for each episode to "air," it may be hard to keep a captive audience.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I gotta agree with Rpin on this - an admin will probably be bapping you with a mallet sooner than later.

That said, they look very nice.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
Superlance
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
Location: ASMS, Mobile
Contact:

Post by Superlance »

Sidwood returns from the dead to combat with Pin!!

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!


*takes a seat*
Alright, who wants popcorn?! :D
Image

ASMS: The school for the criminally insane.
They put us here to keep up away from the normal people.
You feared Algebra in high school? Integral Calculus is a required class here.

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

Reminds me of Family Guy. Thats a good thing. If you can makes those at a decent pace...

Awesome.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

I remember you, but the question is... Do you remember me?

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

RPin wrote:Calm down, dude! I'm just trying to help here. Listen, you can wait for her to mallet you or pay attention to my advice. It's your call.
Precisely.
When Kisai notices your page suddently averages 2mb pageload, and is basically used as a dumpsite, she'll delete it.
And I will not be defending you.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

Sidwood 2.0
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:37 pm
Contact:

Post by Sidwood 2.0 »

To the people who are yammering about the bandwidth, etc.

Chill out. Seriously. This page is only going to be up for as long as this thread lives. Would it satisfy you if I were to put up a link banner on this page? ...done. Besides the previous lack of advertising, I don't see any problem whatsoever with having this file loaded on my site. Yes, it's almost 2 megs, but the 75kb limit is intended for the image files used for comics. Now can we, in the immortal words of Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Relax?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'm getting better with Flash, so I figure I can produce these at a pretty decent clip. As an added bonus, the more episodes I make, the bigger the library of existing sprites I have to work with. I plan to make these all throughout college, alongside a revival of the original strip, in order to build up a "portfolio" of sorts. My goal is to eventually produce a pilot for an animated TV series.

Brockway's comment about its similarity to Family Guy... you are very astute. I've decided to model the timing of the show after Family Guy, because I like the fast pace, frequent cutaways, etc.

And yes, McDuffies, I remember you. :D
~ Mike Ramsey

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Oh, but I am cool about it. This is none of my business.

I just tried to warn you because I happen to talk with Kisai sometimes and I know how much she hates abusers. But since you're so sure you're not one, fine by me!

By the way, is your movie supposed to stop playing on the shoe part? Because it does everytime for me.

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

Sidwood 2.0 wrote:Yes, it's almost 2 megs, but the 75kb limit is intended for the image files used for comics.
Yeah, of course. Everybody knows keenspace only pays for transmitting image files used for comics, everything else is for free. :roll:
Sidwood 2.0 wrote:Now can we, in the immortal words of Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Relax?
Ok, ok, I was just saying.


Anyways, to the movie.
breaking the 4th wall: minus 5 points, well, considering it's just the opening credits, so it's only minus 3 points.
perspective is a bit wonky...: minus 5 points

But the animation is quite good.
And jokes are quite funny too, too bad many lines are missing.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

Sidwood 2.0
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:37 pm
Contact:

Post by Sidwood 2.0 »

Yes, I've only been able to record those lines that use my own voice so far. And yes, the movie stops after the shoe part, that's only as much as I've animated at this point.
~ Mike Ramsey

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Man... I want to see this. But not on dialup. Nobody can make a 2MB comic that's worth it on dialup for me.

And I remember you. And I bet that you have no idea who I am.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Sidwood 2.0
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:37 pm
Contact:

Post by Sidwood 2.0 »

Actually, the final product will probably be less than 2MB, once the sound is compressed.

And yes, I remember you too... it's that little dude in your link banner that gives it away. :)
~ Mike Ramsey

User avatar
Enoll
Regular Poster
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:36 pm
Location: Tweed Heads, Australia
Contact:

Post by Enoll »

As a regular user on Newgrounds..
I'd like to say this was a well dsone little toon..
nice anoimation & graphics.
I'd like to see it in the protal once it's done.
Yes..tis' I & my gang of Idiots.

Watchout for our comic "Irregular Guys"
..comming soon...hah.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

RPin wrote:Oh, but I am cool about it.
See how his avatar is smiling! If he wasn't cool, it'd be angry! :P

Esoterik
Regular Poster
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:15 pm

Post by Esoterik »

I liked it, especially the part about the scorpions in his shoes.

Here I am!
Rock you like Hurricaaaaaane!

*headbangs*

User avatar
Warren
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 8173
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm
Location: Armadilloland
Contact:

Post by Warren »

Seems pretty good for a rough cut. I'll check it out (from work) when you post the final product.
Warren
Image
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
It's grey, not gray. And it always has been.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care

Post Reply