Using a Flash Site...
- [AlmightyPyro]
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 5339
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:12 pm
- Location: noitacoL
Using a Flash Site...
I have recently descoverd Macromedia Flash, the oh-too-fun, oh-too-famous program that makes Home Star Runner, and Happy Tree Friends possible. I love it dearly and will home my skills at it to become super awsomely, totaly... some-what good with it. I have already designed a couple of website type things with it and found it relativley easy to do. And then the thouhgt struck me! Could I make a webcomic site with flash? Is it OK to do this? and, Will people slap me with a road cone if I ask these questions on the Forums? Regardless I did it any way, and asked them. Please don't hit me too hard!
I'm glad 90's style forum signatures don't exist anymore.
- Soap Soaperson
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1182
- Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 7:44 am
- Location: Florida
RPin uses flash. His old site used flash more heavily, but I'm pretty sure you're allowed!
Yay. | Yay Part II.
---
NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.
<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no
---
NOOOOTE: Any and all links posted by me have the possibility of being NWS, and are likely from http://www.LUElinks.net. K? K.
<Derenge> yo
<TLH> Hey Derenge, want an enema?
<Derenge> no
>>
A lot of sites are done with Flash. http://www.eminem.com As for a comic site, I am no expert, but I think you should figure out how to make the comics load only when the user wants them to. I think the default is to load everything in the Flash file at once. I already thought of a way to do it, and I don't even have Flash, so it should be really easy.
http://www.gamasutra.com - Game developer community and resources.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
War destroy flash sites like that!
Generally sites incorporating flash are horribly, horribly designed. They have music, music is bad. It's as bad as embedded midis. They use JPGs throughout, JPGs are bad.
Homestarrunner.com is fine because the noises only occur on interaction with the site and the images are all vectorised and compress a lot better. Every time I see a site that takes 5 minutes to load I feel an urge to stab someone in the face.
Only use flash lightly. Only uses sounds on site interaction. And only use vectorised images, do not use JPG images ever.
Generally sites incorporating flash are horribly, horribly designed. They have music, music is bad. It's as bad as embedded midis. They use JPGs throughout, JPGs are bad.
Homestarrunner.com is fine because the noises only occur on interaction with the site and the images are all vectorised and compress a lot better. Every time I see a site that takes 5 minutes to load I feel an urge to stab someone in the face.
Only use flash lightly. Only uses sounds on site interaction. And only use vectorised images, do not use JPG images ever.
>>
I agree. Music makes sense with the site of a music artist, but in most other places it is annoying. I would not worry about using JPG's as long as they are small. And for your comics, as I said before, you need to figure out a way to load them on demand, otherwise every comic in your archive will have to be loaded at the beginning, which would take like, a lot of time.
http://www.gamasutra.com - Game developer community and resources.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
- LAGtheNoggin
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2532
- Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
- Location: the sea side
- Contact:
- Ghastly
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 5154
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Contact:
I've always been tempted to start a new comic title, one where I can really cut loose and focus heavily on the artwork with lots of detail and intense character design and backgrounds. Something that will really let me stretch and grow as an artist and then use voice actors to record the dialogue so that all the artwork isn't covered up with speech balloons. Either that or when you run the mouse over top of the panel the dialogue balloons fade in, and when you move it off the panel they fade out.
I usually don't concentrate too much on backgrounds because I hate covering artwork with speech balloons, so my backgrounds tend to just be gradiants and mood lighting. Flash would be a really great way to get around this.
Of course I'm not very good at vector artwork.
Hyung Sun Kim does great stuff in Flash. We'd see more of it if he was ever able to keep an apartment for more than 2 weeks at a time.
Doing a webtoon would be fun too, but I don't have the patience to do animation.
I usually don't concentrate too much on backgrounds because I hate covering artwork with speech balloons, so my backgrounds tend to just be gradiants and mood lighting. Flash would be a really great way to get around this.
Of course I'm not very good at vector artwork.
Hyung Sun Kim does great stuff in Flash. We'd see more of it if he was ever able to keep an apartment for more than 2 weeks at a time.
Doing a webtoon would be fun too, but I don't have the patience to do animation.
>>
I don't. I would, but some stuff just would not work without Flash and it would be way too time-consuming to create two versions.
http://www.gamasutra.com - Game developer community and resources.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
- McDuffies
- Bob was here (Moderator)

- Posts: 29957
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Serbia
- Contact:
Dunno, I didn't have such bad experiences with flash sites. True, comps at my college don't have plugins and I'm not allowed to install it, so backups are sensible thing to do.
Just as well as with any site having special needs, like those for large resolutions or with tags that don't work with all browsers...
Oh, yeah: I hate when site has an intro, but there's no "skip intro" option. Specially because those intros are usually very slow zooms or stuff, nothing really animated.
Just as well as with any site having special needs, like those for large resolutions or with tags that don't work with all browsers...
Oh, yeah: I hate when site has an intro, but there's no "skip intro" option. Specially because those intros are usually very slow zooms or stuff, nothing really animated.
>>
Java tags work like this:
<applet [all the applet info goes here]>[HTML to display if viewer does not have a Java plugin]</applet>
Flash is placed in HTML with <object> or <embed> tags, or both to support most browsers. I am thinking it is possible that they may work in an applet tag-like fashion, which would rule out the need for scripts.
<applet [all the applet info goes here]>[HTML to display if viewer does not have a Java plugin]</applet>
Flash is placed in HTML with <object> or <embed> tags, or both to support most browsers. I am thinking it is possible that they may work in an applet tag-like fashion, which would rule out the need for scripts.
http://www.gamasutra.com - Game developer community and resources.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
- Friend
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 375
- Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:16 am
- Location: Victoria, Australia
- Contact:
I use flash.
But... it's kinda necessary, doing an animated comic and all.
But... it's kinda necessary, doing an animated comic and all.
Agh! I'm delicious!
<A HREF="http://mcville.keenspace.com/">McVille</a> is dead.
<A HREF="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ ... .png">DRAW ME</A>
<A HREF="http://mcville.keenspace.com/">McVille</a> is dead.
<A HREF="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/ ... .png">DRAW ME</A>
War will kill everyone eventually.. and some of us more times than others.FoxFang wrote:So I'm going to be killed not just by war but everyone when I unvail my website. *will make a non-flash versio now to*
And I don't use Flash.. though I do use jpegs *cowers*
Proudly Running out of Attention Span Since 1984.
Coming Soon: Cliche Academy
Coming Soon: Cliche Academy



