Weapons of choice for comic artists..

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Devonport, Tasmania
Contact:

Weapons of choice for comic artists..

Post by Turnsky »

okay, since there is a sketchbook thread, i thought i might make a "what tools you use" thread.. so here goes..

for my comic i use
sketching:
a 0.5 mechanical pencil, usually with hb or 2h leads.. (pictured below)
http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/aotd/Tur ... C00289.JPG

inking:
a Black Uniball Dx Gel-ink Ball-point pen( pic below)
http://uni-ball.hbi.ne.jp/catalog/show/ ... .php?no=14

coloring/shading, etc:
a 12"X12" wacom Intuos2 Graphics tablet(pic below) as well as photoshop 7
http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/aotd/Tur ... C00229.jpg

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Re: Weapons of choice for comic artists..

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

For ze comic I used to use (and plan to use when I get started again) the following;

Everything:
Turnsky wrote:a 12"X12" wacom Intuos2 Graphics tablet(pic below) as well as photoshop 7
http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/aotd/Tur ... C00229.jpg
That's pretty much it.

User avatar
Bright spark
Regular Poster
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:19 am
Location: Perth, Australia
Contact:

Post by Bright spark »

I use:

Which ever graphic pencils I have at the time- 2B 4B 6B

Artline 210 pens- 0.4 0.6
Go on, check it out


http://brightspark.keenspace.com- is now dead, but drop by and pay your respects.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~misjed/- my sisters comic, be nice to her and she'll be nice to me.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

I use Paint Shop Pro 5, a standard 102-key keyboard, and a Microsoft Wheel Mouse.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

2H mechanical pencil for most pencil work. Inked with Pilot drawing pens in the 01, 03 and 08 varieties.
For straight pencil work (no inking) I'll generally use either a 2B or 3B pencil.

I'll do most of the colouring in Photoshop with a mouse, and do the odd bits with my graphics tablet. I did do most of the colouring with the tablet at one point, but I've settled back to using the mouse again.

User avatar
Gage Kronos
Regular Poster
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:52 am
Location: Eugene, OR...and Goobla's boxers!
Contact:

Post by Gage Kronos »

Sletching: a drafting pencil with .5 mm width.

Inking: I hate inking, but my sketches aren't clean enough so I have to do it! I use the Micron pens...the .005, .05, and .01 mm width ones mainly, but I have a .02 and .03 width ones too...though I don't think I'll ever use them much. Too thick for my liking.

Coloring: Photoshop 6 and a mouse. I can't afford to upgrade to Photoshop 7/Elements OR to a graphics tablet right now. :(

User avatar
Jeffy
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:05 pm
Location: someplace trying to get myself to draw
Contact:

Post by Jeffy »

a pencil and paper (any)
Photoshop and MSpaint

User avatar
Chaos Cricket
Regular Poster
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:35 am
Location: State of Delusion
Contact:

Post by Chaos Cricket »

Computer paper and my Pilot G2 .07mm gel pen.
~Chuck
Image
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing."
~Kingsley Amis

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Drawing:

Two mechanical pencils, a 0.3 with H leads and a 0.5 with HB leads.

Inking:

Rottring pigment inkers that I HATE.

Colouring:

Photoshop and a tablet.

User avatar
Mr.Bob
:(
:(
Posts: 6895
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:12 am
Location: A box
Contact:

Post by Mr.Bob »

Drawing:

Wide assortment of regular 2H pencils, and mechanical 0.5 HB and 2H pencils

Inking:

MY OWN BLOOD!!!!!

Colouring:

Photoshop. I have a tablet but don't use it much, because I'm not bothered enough to learn to get used to it just yet

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

My weapon of choice? Swords. And Pistols. Prefer .45, but 9mm is fine.

Well, that and F, 2b, and 4b art pencils, with ultra fine line sharpies, pilot G2's, or pilot extra fine roller ball pen for inking.

Prefered paper is card stock.

Coloring I use gimp.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Cheebs
Regular Poster
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:44 am
Location: Somewhere out there...
Contact:

Post by Cheebs »

Drawing -
Sketchbook, .05 mm mechanical pencil, eraser, clear plastic T-square.

Inking -
Sakura Micron pens sizes 01 and 08, Sakura brush pen, sometimes fountain pen.

Coloring -
Prismacolor markers, since they're easy, fast, and I can't CG for crap.
Constant Flux: A semi-serious tale about trying to kick Fate in the head. Updates Sundays.

User avatar
Rkolter
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Destroyer of Words (Moderator)
Posts: 16399
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 am
Location: It's equally probable that I'm everywhere.
Contact:

Post by Rkolter »

brockway wrote:My weapon of choice? Swords. And Pistols. Prefer .45, but 9mm is fine.
I'm surprised it took 9 responses before someone said something about weapons. I was so sure that War would at least mention an axe or sharpened gerbil or something.

Mine? Blowdart. I'm freakishly good at it - I've taken matchbooks out of folks hands at 30 feet. I guess it's one of those skills you're born with, but has absolutely no real world value. Maybe I was an Aboriginee in a past life.
Image Image ImageImage
Crossfire: "Thank you! That explains it very nicely, and in a language that someone other than a physicist can understand..."

Denial is not falsification. You can't avoid a fact just because you don't like it.
"Data" is not the plural of "anecdote"

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

I don't need weapons. I am a weapon.

User avatar
Sippan
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:54 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Sippan »

I used to use a simple pencil. Actually, it wasn't a simple pencil, it was a push-on-the-knob-and-get-more-0.7-sized-stuff-to-draw-with pencil. Because I just hate sharpening pencils.

But now I use my mouse and Illustrator.

Both have their advanteges. I favor the latter because I don't own a scanner, so when I draw comics with a pencil, I have to travel 30 kilometers to a school I used to go to, and sneak in through the back door and pray that someone left the computer logged in. Because that's the nearest scanner I know of.
Image

User avatar
DEVO-Bot
Regular Poster
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm
Location: College, CA
Contact:

Post by DEVO-Bot »

Drawing: Photoshop and a mouse.
Inking: Photoshop and a mouse.
Coloring: You get three guesses...

I'm boring.
<KensouX> DEVO-Bot spouts out the mad phrases, tweekin' your brain harder than 35 cocaine cases.
Image

Now Alive Again

User avatar
Okie
Regular Poster
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:35 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Okie »

Drawing:

Sanford Design
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Image
<a href="http://roughies.comicgenesis.com">Roughies</a>
For fans of Brainwashing and Garbage Eating.

MechaByrd
Regular Poster
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:34 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by MechaByrd »

Chaos Cricket wrote:Computer paper and my Pilot G2 .07mm gel pen.
w00t, the shortest distance from brain to paper, I always say. Although, hitherto I have undervalued sketching, and am looking for ways to effect this without messy pencils, like with a fine-tipped very light grey art marker. I hate having pencil lead all over me, but I don't mind ink. By the time I spend any amount of hours on art (that isn't painting), I get sick of my work.

Oh, and a crossbow, or anything that can be built from a single trip to a well-stocked hardware store.

EDIT: No one voted.
-- Ba-caw!!!

User avatar
Christwriter
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1915
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:56 am

Post by Christwriter »

Drawing:

Paper: Copier Paper. Because it's cheap.
Pencils, one B and one 8B: I don't ink. The B lets me do the details lightly, the 8B lets me darken everything in quickly, do a few basic shading details and is dark enough for me to get rid of the B lines later in Photoshop.

Coloring: Photoshop 7 and a mouse. Because I cannot afford a tablet.

CW
"Remember that the definition of an adventure is someone else having a hell of a hard time a thousand miles away."
--Abbykat, NaNoWriMo participant '04

Coloring tutorial It's a little like coloring boot camp. Without the boots.

<a href="http://blueskunk.spiderforest.com"> Image</a>
<a href="http://www.nanowrimo.org"> NaNoWriMo </a> --for anyone who has ever aspired to write a novel. Insanity is also a requirement.

User avatar
Luprand
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:33 pm
Location: Cougar country
Contact:

Post by Luprand »

Drawing: Bic #2 mechanical pencil (oscillating between .5 and .7 mm) in a spiral-bound sketchbook.

Inking: Pilot Precise V7 (ballpoint gel pen) - cheaply available at the University Bookstore.

Scanning: Lexmark X75 printer-scanner dealy. Convenient.

Coloring: The GIMP (http://www.gimp.org - plug!) and a mouse.

Dealing with morons: I have my methods.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.

Post Reply