Some cleanup...

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
User avatar
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: undef;
Contact:

Some cleanup...

Post by STrRedWolf »

I will be cleaning up the General Discussion forum within one week. Unfortunately, I have to pull down the whole board, as I have to go "underground" to the SQL server level and be rather raw on it.

The benifit is that the resulting pruning of all messages over 120 days old will remove over half the messages, and make everything faster.

EDIT: I have also adjusted the forums to show 20 replies per page, and locked/moved some long threads.
Last edited by STrRedWolf on Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

About time the forum had a prune, getting a little bulky no doubt. But one quick question, will we loose our post counts (or anything else other than old threads and posts for that matter)?

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

I myself don't like the idea of pruning, as in "deleting the old stuff"

Maybe it will speed up the forum, maybe it will not.
I don't recall the recent crash, that took down about 1250 threads speeding up anything.

And these were large threads, unlike the 0-1 responce ones from the really old days (the forum wasn't that active back then). Currently the forum has less than 3200 threads. Adding stuff up, substracting the recent months that've been very active (We created over 600 very active threads in the past months) we get that the result of the pruning will not be as significant as one might thing.
It will delete about 2.5k of relatively small threads. That means it will be approximetly twice as good as the crash.


Is there any chance for the old data to be stored in some kind of database?
Me logic is that some of the old stuff is really good, and it's just a shame to delete it.

If there is a chance, I'm ok. If there is not, I'd like to know some more exact date than "within a week". I'd like to know how much time we have to say goodbye to our whole (before the crash) history.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
Executor_Arthas
Regular Poster
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:00 am
Location: NewfieLand

Post by Executor_Arthas »

And they said, "Delete topics?! Are you insane!?!?!" and "There's no way to keep people from spamming, so just go with it." AND NOW LOOK EHAT YOU'VE DONE!!!
-Exe
I draw/write Eternal Destinies
http://eternaldestinies.keenspace.com

User avatar
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: undef;
Contact:

Post by STrRedWolf »

If those topics are still being replied to, then they won't get removed. I mean stuff that's well aged and ready to be used as firewood.

Oh, and the spam posts can be autonuked by the moderators. You should have delete privlages.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!

User avatar
Treble
Regular Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:26 pm
Location: Lunar farside, among the moonrocks.

Post by Treble »

Uh...I have a confession to make...
When trying out new things, like posting an img or changing my sig, or something, I would pick a very old post that had only one or two answers, post my experiment to it, then see how it worked. Lather rinse repeat.
That may screw up your purge if a lot of people do that. If you find any post of mine that is more than one week newer than what it replies to, nuke away.
But you'd have to be pretty anal retentive to actually be looking at what you're purging....
HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Brain is OFF

User avatar
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: undef;
Contact:

Post by STrRedWolf »

That's why there's an "Off Topic" area now. :D
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!

User avatar
Executor_Arthas
Regular Poster
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:00 am
Location: NewfieLand

Post by Executor_Arthas »

No offence or anything Wolf, but I think that you're going a little overboard with this. VileTerror didn't even do anything, yet you banned her, and then you start moving threads, and NOW you're gonna ban me also for standing up to you, when you don't even come here often! And since this is prolly gonna be my last post, farewell all.
-Exe
I draw/write Eternal Destinies
http://eternaldestinies.keenspace.com

User avatar
Mr Ekshin
Regular Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:28 am
Location: Back against a wall with an apple on my head.
Contact:

Post by Mr Ekshin »

Are people getting banned here now? Is there a reason other than emotional discharge for this?
Judge dredge.

User avatar
SamSim
Regular Poster
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:38 pm
Contact:

Post by SamSim »

Off-Topic and GD have been split! Ah, my prayers have been answered. Thank you, STrRedWolf.
Image

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

My final protest song (to the tune of Don McClean's "American Pie")

Bye Bye this here Vileterror guy
Browsed to DO NOT REPLY
But DO NOT REPLY had died
The good old spacers were drinking
Whiskey and Bry, singing
This is the day the forums died
This is the day the forums died.

User avatar
Brockway
Dirty Old Man
Posts: 3046
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:57 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Post by Brockway »

VT never posted in DNR. She was pretty adamant about that. The one that posted was an imposter.
Image
Sharp Hall. - Ya know... don't even go there. Very NSFW

User avatar
Executor_Arthas
Regular Poster
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:00 am
Location: NewfieLand

Post by Executor_Arthas »

*sigh* yeah, but I still miss her... Oh wait, I'm talking to her right now on MSN!!! :P
-Exe
I draw/write Eternal Destinies
http://eternaldestinies.keenspace.com

User avatar
Superlance
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
Location: ASMS, Mobile
Contact:

Post by Superlance »

Executor_Arthas wrote:*sigh* yeah, but I still miss her... Oh wait, I'm talking to her right now on MSN!!! :P
Miss... VILETERROR?!
ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?



And VileTerror was an 'it', not a 'her'; anyway.
Image

ASMS: The school for the criminally insane.
They put us here to keep up away from the normal people.
You feared Algebra in high school? Integral Calculus is a required class here.

User avatar
KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 3182
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:56 pm
Location: How the hell should I know? I just live here...
Contact:

Post by KittyKatBlack »

Oh come on. I mean VileTerror wasn't that bad really. A bit wierd, sure... but I mean if anyone deserves a banning, it's that Stanely guy, or Lee@TheMatrix and his clones. VileTerror is just the resident oddball, but she/he/it's still a resident.

User avatar
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1975
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:23 pm
Location: Canada, eh?
Contact:

Post by Terotrous »

I find it quite amusing that a thread called "some cleanup" is being used to discuss the removal of VileTerror from the forums.

"The Keenspace forums are now considerably less vile now that we cleaned them up."

It's hilarious!
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Image
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

No one likes change, I guess. Personally, I thought there were far too many OT thread on GD- I mean... 3 pages of posts per day?! It was getting too much.

But boy, am I glad I'm not moderating GD. *brrrr*.

To tell the truth, Vile wasn't as bad as some others. And other than one rather unfortunate PM, he did start to behave himself after Yarps became moderator.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Since you're taking the time, why don't you delete the dead forums for comics, as well?

They are slowing down this forum more than the old posts.

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by McDuffies »

We have yet to see how this changes will affect the forum. I just came here and didn't see the nature of changes yet. I'll sustain from comments of splitting forums for a while.

But on topic of VileTerror, you all either are here for last few months or have really short term memory. VileTerror behaved for some time, yes, but that is strangely enough the time since YarpsDat became a mod.
Thst person was simply sustaining her spam attacks because she feared of being banned. Before that, her thread-spamming, account-spamming, so-called-psycho-tests-spamming, was annoying and insulting. Vile invited a load of friends who came here to annoy us but never, with one word, reffered to webcomics, actually to anything beside Vile itself. In that time, he/she started twenty or more threads about him/her. In one word, Vile was forcing us to talk about him/her. Even now, in his/her "behaving" period, he/she was ressurecting threads that were dead for two or three weeks now, and I don't mean one or two threads, but a full page! God damn, you're still even saying "Her"! That person was all-too-good to even tell you her gender! It you think Vile is so good friend to you, ask him/her to finally tell you one basic information, if he/she is a male or female!
Last edited by McDuffies on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheGoobla
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Your anus. (That's how you do a pun, right?)

Post by TheGoobla »

I doubt half of us here actually care either way, but are just jumping on the bandwagon cause protesting seems fun. Either way, whether you like VT or not, you cannot deny the banning was untimely, and inappropriate.

Post Reply