iPad Drawing Apps

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

iPad Drawing Apps

Postby IVstudios on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Do any of you guys have any experience using any of the drawing apps for the iPad? I recently ordered a stylus for my iPad and I'm trying to figure out which of the many art apps are worth getting. A few of the ones that look interesting are Sketch Club, Adobe Sketch and Procreate and I was wondering if anyone's had any experience using them or any others.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Re: iPad Drawing Apps

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Procreate is pretty good, I'd also recommend ArtRage, not that I use either a lot - I have some tactile dissonance when it comes to using tablets.

A couple of good iPad stylus are the Sensu Brush and the Adonit Jot Pro.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tim on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:22 pm

IV, I saw the comic you made with the stylus. How did you think it worked? I was thinking about if there was some way I could use my iPad as a drawing tablet...perhaps a stylus would be a better investment than a Wacom or its ilk. Ideally I'd like to be able to get back into drawing that didn't require me to spend so much time redrawing things - pencil, ink, and then spend so much time digitally cleaning and editing it.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:23 pm

It worked okay. The stylus I used was the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus 2 and the program was Bamboo Paper. It worked okay, the stylus is pretty good, though not nearly as good as a normal Wacom tablet. Bamboo Paper is a pretty mediocre program. Procreate is a lot nicer, but it doesn't have integration for the ICS2 yet. It should soon, though.

Mostly it's just going to take practice to get use to using it. It'll probably never be as convenient to use as my Cintique, but it works well enough for on-the-go drawing.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Also, thanks for the advice, Scoob. In case it wasn't clear from my last post, I went with Procreate, but I'm using Bamboo Paper while I wait for the update to support the ICS2.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Return to General Discussion