Bonus page, when to post them?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Bonus page, when to post them?

Postby Humbug on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:48 pm

Building up my buffer has been going faster than I anticipated, pretty soon it will be at the point where I don't need to add to it anymore and just post bonus updates every time I finish an extra page.

I cannot reliably draw two pages a week, I'd like to, but there's a lot of factors that eat into the extra time needed to draw an additional page, and I'd rather play it safe than make promises I cannot keep.

Now the question is, when do I post the bonus update? I believe readers will find it difficult to follow a comic that updates randomly. (It could update once every other week, very rarely once a week or once a month, that's how random it'll likely be) Also having the schedule read "Updates every Monday and randomly on Thursday" could confuse newcomers. Would it be easier to just post it together with the regular page on Monday so there will be a double page update? I can separate them later when everyone has read them.

What do you guys think?
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Re: Bonus page, when to post them?

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Unless we were UNBELIEVABLY far ahead, we wouldn't do bonus pages; we'd just add them to the buffer. Keep it as a safeguard against unforeseen circumstances that may keep you away from comicking.
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby Humbug on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm unbelievably far a head, as I'm aiming for a 43 page buffer. I'm at 39 which will last me 8-9 months of weekly updates if I were to stop drawing completely. :D
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:24 am

1) Make some $ doing paid work
2) Do a short story
3) Learn a new skill
4) Draw miscellaneous fun stuff
5) Read a ton of stuff
6) Draw some fan art

You can figure out what buffer would be ideal for you (e.g., 3 months instead of 8-9) and let the buffer shrink while you take a break from the comic and do other stuff. Think of it like a vacation you earned by working so diligently on the project.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Return to General Discussion