A vague memory of a comic

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: A vague memory of a comic

Postby Sortelli on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:22 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Lol. I feel like we're a bunch of hermits in a hut and I'm the one that goes out into the market to pick up vegetables and comes back with the gossip from the other hermit coves.

did you bring the turnips I need those turnips for my turnip golem
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Sortelli wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Lol. I feel like we're a bunch of hermits in a hut and I'm the one that goes out into the market to pick up vegetables and comes back with the gossip from the other hermit coves.

i tried to pick out the ones that didn't look manky a lot of them had fungi so i tried to keep it real
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:05 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
Sortelli wrote:

i tried to pick out the ones that didn't look manky a lot of them had fungi so i tried to keep it real

DM: You hear thundering wet footsteps coming from the north end of the great hall. The giant pale creature finally shambles into the light, slimey green leaves slide off the bruised purple flesh
Ranger: It's a Manky Turnip Golum, probably protecting its master's vegetable garden lab lair hideout
Wizard: I've only got vinaigrette and jam spells prepared. I've got nothing for turnips
Ranger: What fucking good are you?
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:51 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:45 am

I didn't like that adventure module since the only way to beat the golem was to have someone play a vegetarian barbarian.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby djracodex on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Sortelli wrote:I didn't like that adventure module since the only way to beat the golem was to have someone play a vegetarian barbarian.

And you get double rage bonus if you took ranks in vegan. It was just too overpowered.
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 am

This review of LC's has generated way more drama than it had any right to.

I know I should stop trying to get the last word in, folks, but people getting upset on behalf of internet strangers is just really kind of funny to me :oops:

How do those people keep *finding* this review, anyway? It's like either
a. They were linked to it by the creator of the now-deleted comic (who has also sadly deleted their SJ account as much as they can wipe it)* and feel the need to get in some belated white-knighting
b. They happened upon the blog by some other means and read through it and were basically perfectly fine with it until they got to a *MEAN REVIEW* and now totally think the whole thing is Bad Webcomics Wiki Lite

It's just really weird. Like, the review itself isn't even on the front page of the site anymore because it was from before December and the other content has really moved on since then. And it's usually not even under the comment sidebar of "Concerned Citizens" until someone comes along to white knight it again and rekindle the interest, seemingly contrary to their intent which is to somehow shut down the discussion and convince LC to remove the review.

Then again I'm always surprised by the "most recent comments" on El Santo's blog as well, which is usually someone digging up some review of a shitty furry fetish comic from 2010 and providing their opinion either in agreement with El Santo, calling everyone artless fools who can't appreciate the comic's beauty, or my personal favorite because of how nerdy it is, disputing a brief and fleeting point made in the review or comment section years ago.

*I mean "sadly" sincerely here. Thin-skinned artists keep Dobsoning up the place and flouncing out when they could have been better. Oh well. Hope he finds a more suitable hobby where no one can provide subjective analysis on his abilities!
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Thin-skinned artists keep Dobsoning up the place

This reminds me I almost commented on this piece of Dobson before I remembered he's a whiny self-absorbed flaw-denier.
My basic thought was, "Well, unless the other human characters in the comic are also bobblehead proportions, the critic kind of has a point."
But I've done enough head-meet-wall in my life so fuck it, let the whiny child continue to do as he damn well pleases.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:18 am

RobboAKAscooby wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Thin-skinned artists keep Dobsoning up the place

This reminds me I almost commented on this piece of Dobson before I remembered he's a whiny self-absorbed flaw-denier.
My basic thought was, "Well, unless the other human characters in the comic are also bobblehead proportions, the critic kind of has a point."
But I've done enough head-meet-wall in my life so fuck it, let the whiny child continue to do as he damn well pleases.

The funniest part about that is that he doesn't understand the concept of what the measurement of a "head" means

(it means the head, not a circle significantly smaller than the head, not the skull/underlying structure with the fur/fluff removed. just... you know... the regular head)
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:30 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:How do those people keep *finding* this review, anyway?

In this particular case I'm pretty sure there were sockpuppets or friends of the author involved.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Yeah, it's weird how reviews are sort of permanently relevant. Just the other day, someone linked to my TwoKinds review on Fischbach's dA, and I posted that review here in February 2013. I don't mind the traffic, of course, but it's a little weird to me to see people still commenting on it now to inform me how wrong I am about the comic.

But yeah, the whole A Link to the Webcomic thing. I guess people could be going through the archives, see that the review has double-digit comments, and click to see what the fuss is about. At this point, the review and the webcomic are kind of just footnotes to the bizarre display of butthurt and anti-butthurt in the post's comments sections. And that's actually kinda cool, in a way, because the readers are the ones keeping a discussion going while I basically sit back and /popcorn at what's going on. It's like a little semi-anonymous forum thread.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Hope he finds a more suitable hobby job where no one can provide subjective analysis on his abilities! he isn't doing anything illegal
fify

RobboAKAScooby wrote:This reminds me I almost commented on this piece of Dobson before I remembered he's a whiny self-absorbed flaw-denier.
Dobson's a lost cause.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:The funniest part about that is that he doesn't understand the concept of what the measurement of a "head" means
I think he's just unable to accept that anyone who criticizes him might have good intentions.

Sortelli wrote:In this particular case I'm pretty sure there were sockpuppets or friends of the author involved.
I think there's a trend that people complain to their online circle when they get a bad review, in which case the circle comforts them and says that the reviewer's just a stupid ol' bully, or whatever. This has happened a couple times recently over at Webcomic Underdogs (1, 2), and Yakutis seems to have developed some sort of a problem with me ever since I wrote negatively about his girlfriend's writing in 2012.

LibertyCabbage wrote:OK, I guess when I have some time later, I'll make a post here with some stuff creators and fans have written.
I guess I'll post more stuff like this in bits-'n'-pieces instead so that I don't have to wait to have enough time for an info-dump.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:17 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:Yeah, it's weird how reviews are sort of permanently relevant. Just the other day, someone linked to my TwoKinds review on Fischbach's dA, and I posted that review here in February 2013. I don't mind the traffic, of course, but it's a little weird to me to see people still commenting on it now to inform me how wrong I am about the comic.

I saw that one, too, and actually laughed out loud at how proud the guy was of himself for calling you a fundamentalist.

This has happened a couple times recently over at Webcomic Underdogs (1, 2), and Yakutis seems to have developed some sort of a problem with me ever since I wrote negatively about his girlfriend's writing in 2012.

Ohhhh, is that why he hasn't come around here much anymore? I've seen him post on SJ now and then but he used to be more active, it seemed. Pity :/

edit: Just read your second link, and I actually think that was an ideal way to "run back to your internet hideyhole for cover," if you will. The dude was chill and sharing the information, and even though he didn't agree with it, I think it's a bit like coming home from the doctor and being like "Yo man the doctor says I have to get surgery, I dunno if he's right though" and just talking it over with your friends a bit. I can even understand the ones who run back looking for comfort/buttpats, since it just seems like a natural reaction. It's the ones who go back with seemingly the express purpose of recruiting people to potentially harass the reviewer or dismiss ever piece of the review entirely that make me really roll my eyes.

I scream about every review I get. I usually make my boyfriend read it out loud after I've read it over once. Just a weird urge I tend to feel. There's a lot of excitement and anxiety behind receiving a review, even a glowing one, that I feel like I need to rub it on someone else a bit to get rid of the cooties.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Lmao aww from your first link:
The first review Marisa and I ever got was by someone from the Webcomic Police for our first comic, And To Be Loved. I don't think they used the review on their site, instead it was just used in another forum. Anyways, it was a negative review and had a lot of inconsistencies and biased opinions. The reviewer made a similar comment as your comic received about the characters being unlikable (or something to that effect). Maybe boring. Anyways, we were really irritated by the review at first because a lot of the things the reviewer criticized seemed like unfair assumptions or like they simply didn't get some of the jokes even though they insisted they did (I could tell they did not, lol). Humor is a very tough genre and incredibly subjective. We took the reviewers criticisms into consideration and did our best to improve on our work as best we could in a way that we saw fit for our readership (and ourselves), and it was very clear that the reviewer was not our target audience so we kept that in mind.

I wrote that review :')

A lot of people there seem to think that if a reviewer isn't in your target audience, you needn't listen to a word they say. What happens if you wheedle and wheedle your target audience away, though? Who can you trust to listen to? Awkward

edit: Wait I was REALLY wrong, I had them confused with a different person. Mah B

edit edit: Also, LC, I forgot to ask you about this a while ago but was reminded by one of the links you just put. In your affiliates you link to Shitty Webcomics, which is run by the Shredded Moose guy and last time I checked, ceased actually mocking bad comics and has turned into just taking potshots at whatever minority group you'd expect Shredded Moose Guy to target. It's your site and if you want to maintain that association obviously that's your prerogative, but I think having that link there hurts TWP's credibility as a webcomic review resource.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:01 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I saw that one, too, and actually laughed out loud at how proud the guy was of himself for calling you a fundamentalist.
I'm a pedophile too, apparently. And I got called transphobic for quoting the comic's Cast page. I'm also a robot monkey pirate ninja zombie.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Ohhhh, is that why he hasn't come around here much anymore? I've seen him post on SJ now and then but he used to be more active, it seemed. Pity :/
I dunno, he also seems to be pretty busy with Webcomic Underdogs and his various webcomic projects. I forgot about him until his site starting popping up in my referrals here and there.

edit:

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:A lot of people there seem to think that if a reviewer isn't in your target audience, you needn't listen to a word they say. What happens if you wheedle and wheedle your target audience away, though? Who can you trust to listen to? Awkward
What's And to Be Loved's target audience, in your opinion?

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:It's your site and if you want to maintain that association obviously that's your prerogative, but I think having that link there hurts TWP's credibility as a webcomic review resource.
I respect Shitty Webcomics because they look down upon having a victim mentality.

edit 2:

LibertyCabbage wrote:What's And to Be Loved's target audience, in your opinion?
Actually, I guess you're talking about webcomics in general rather than this particular one.

edit 3:

"Target audience" is easy. I just say, "[x] audience would probably like this, but I don't."
Last edited by LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:11 pm

I never read And To Be Loved, that was my mistake. So I have no idea. Ideally the idea is to not make your target audience super exclusive though, so either way it's a misguided argument.

I'd hesitate to say that the anti-victim-mentality thing is really to be admired in the people who made Shredded Moose, though. He's had his own dramas and tizzies-flown-off-into. And like I said, his tumblr has become less about actually mocking bad comics and more just being offensive for the sake of doing so, as he did in Shredded Moose.

I'm not saying it to be some sort of straw-PC censorship preacher. It's just kind of like if you went to your doctor and among all the pamphlets they have that they hand out, they had a stack of "Vaccines Causin Autism It's True" pamphlets, you know what I mean?
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I'd hesitate to say that the anti-victim-mentality thing is really to be admired in the people who made Shredded Moose, though. He's had his own dramas and tizzies-flown-off-into. And like I said, his tumblr has become less about actually mocking bad comics and more just being offensive for the sake of doing so, as he did in Shredded Moose.
I wrote that I respect Shitty Webcomics, not that I admire it. I didn't intend for those two words to be used interchangeably. A similar context would be, "I respect your opinion, even though I view things differently."

Remember that I separate review sites into three distinct groups: negative, neutral, and positive. I'm a neutral reviewer, and I think neutral reviews are the best kind, but, at the same time, I respect negative reviewers and positive reviewers. They have their own approach, their own culture, and their own goals. I respect them in the way that I'd hope for them to respect me back.

edit:

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I'm not saying it to be some sort of straw-PC censorship preacher. It's just kind of like if you went to your doctor and among all the pamphlets they have that they hand out, they had a stack of "Vaccines Causin Autism It's True" pamphlets, you know what I mean?
What if it's the only doctor you can see? It then depends on how sick you are, doesn't it.

Despite its obvious flaws, I think Shitty Webcomics is the No. 2 review site right now, after The Webcomic Overlook (excluding my own site, of course). The Bad Webcomics Wiki is No. 3. That's why they're linked.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:55 pm

I guess the key difference and flaw I suppose in my strained analogy is no one needs to read a comic review site.

I'll take your word for it regarding the site's reviews. Last time I checked they had stopped writing reviews and were basically just trolling feminists and trans people. I stopped viewing it as a "review" blog around that point in time and have avoided giving them traffic since that point. If Shredded Moose guy is in fact capable of criticizing comics on a useful level and not just going "tranny lol," then good for him.

Well, that's my two cents on it, anyway.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:49 pm

currently they are just posting multiparagraph rehashes of how much they hate the latest QC and Sinfest strips which are doing the remarkable job of making me not give a shit about QC or Sinfest

if they can do that for Shortpacked next I will be a changed man
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:11 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I guess the key difference and flaw I suppose in my strained analogy is no one needs to read a comic review site.
The analogy doesn't work if you take it too literally. (So that explains why doctors make more money than webcomic reviewers....) But the idea's that standards are circumstantial.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I'll take your word for it regarding the site's reviews.
None of the sites I mentioned are good, they're just less bad than the other stuff out there. The Webcomic Overlook used to be good, but El Santo hasn't been as involved lately as he was earlier.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Last time I checked they had stopped writing reviews and were basically just trolling feminists and trans people. I stopped viewing it as a "review" blog around that point in time and have avoided giving them traffic since that point. If Shredded Moose guy is in fact capable of criticizing comics on a useful level and not just going "tranny lol," then good for him.
Their views aren't really that extreme, they just have a deliberately crass way of presenting them, because...

Sortelli wrote:currently they are just posting multiparagraph rehashes of how much they hate the latest QC and Sinfest strips which are doing the remarkable job of making me not give a shit about QC or Sinfest

if they can do that for Shortpacked next I will be a changed man
...negative reviewers thrive on attention. And whatever they're doing, it's working. Am I guilty of giving them attention, too, by linking to their site? Yeah, maybe.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:13 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I respect Shitty Webcomics because they look down upon having a victim mentality.

So did the Nazis.

BOOM!

GODWIN'D!
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion