A vague memory of a comic

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

A vague memory of a comic

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 pm

I have a vague memory of a comic, its author, someone else's negative reaction to it, and the author's negative reaction to the negative reaction.

I feel like it was brought up years ago so the only place I would have seen this exchange would have been here- I'm feeling like it was sometime during 2009, maybe early 2010. However I might have just been reading archive threads during that time so it might have been older.

Or newer. I'm really not good.

The comic was basically shock humor but really no actual jokes were made. It was trying to be meta, I think, and when people mentioned that it wasn't really that funny, the author was annoyed that they just didn't understand his artistic vision.

The art was very abstract. I remember black backgrounds, the site was probably a black background as well. I feel like most of the art was just geometric shapes and colored lines in very little order or construction.

Some of the art, IIRC, was NSFW. part of the shock humor I guess.

Does this ring any bells for anyone else? I ran a search for a few words to see if I could find the discussion to no avail. It might not have been here at all, but the tone of the exchange was one that I attribute to (poorly received) critiques and responses here as opposed to other forums.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Re: A vague memory of a comic

Postby Bustertheclown on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Wasn't it called something like Shit Sandwich?
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 pm

The only thing we can think of from around that time was this crazy little butthole, but we're not sure that his situation fits exactly what you're asking for...
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:35 pm

It sounds like you might be referring to the Wonderdrome guy.

viewtopic.php?f=695&t=104876&p=1607570&hilit=wonderdrome#p1607570
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 am

I have a vague memory of a comic, its author, someone else's negative reaction to it, and the author's negative reaction to the negative reaction.

some of my most cherished memories begin this way
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:17 pm

They shoudl call you Sherlock Cabbage. Wonderdrome it was. Apparently 2012 feels like it was four years ago to me.

Lmao, M&M, the HORNDOG saga never is stale to my heart. And sortelli I realized that a huge swathe of waht I was saying applies to like 95% of comics hohohohohohe
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:52 pm

It is pretty much a miracle that LC knew what you meant, yeah.

I kinda love webcomics for that. Not even lying.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby djracodex on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Oh boy, that was entertaining. We should have some sort of awards for all the reactions to critiques/reviews. Like the butt-hurt awards.
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:39 pm

djracodex wrote:Oh boy, that was entertaining. We should have some sort of awards for all the reactions to critiques/reviews. Like the butt-hurt awards.

We do need a fresh injection of drama around here.

In the meantime maybe a "Hall of Shame" linking to some of the more entertaining threads?
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Sometimes when I have nothing better to do which is fairly often I go back in the archives- usually in the TTT or Comic Pitching forums- and look for threads that have been locked. Alternatively for Comic Pitching a good way to locate drama is to find a thread that has way more replies than a Comic Pitching thread typically ought to have.

The older times from when the community was vaster tend to yield more meat as well, as the demographic wasn't the creaky dinosaur collective it currently seems to be, and with more people participating the chances that someone was going to have a meltdown at some point were higher.

The older W.A.Y. reply threads are hit or miss as well.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Re: HORNDOG banned by deviantART group

Unread postby MSPcomix on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:05 pm
Multiple studies have proven that marijuana increases your intelligence.

If I didn't have the ability to be amused by shit like this on occasion I would probably turn into an inert lump of clay.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:03 pm

The weirdest thing about hornodog (okay not THE weirdest) was sometimes, especially in soapboxing comics, I picture the author looks like the main character. So all the while that that was going on I was picturing the literal Horndog sitting there in a dark room illuminated only by his computer, his cheesepuff bowl growing more empty, his pot yen growing stronger, his horn growing dog.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:15 pm

I don't even get to know what his character looked like :<

tell me it wasn't this guy I kinda like his stuff http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?produc ... -stories-1
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

A vague memory of underground comix.

Postby Cope on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 am

Sortelli wrote:tell me it wasn't this guy I kinda like his stuff http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?produc ... -stories-1

nooooooo. It was the guy who made this.

oh god that second paragraph is perfect.

Since its introduction, it has attained a strong cult[citation needed] following and appraisal from varied cartoonists[who?] from both the mainstream and underground scenes.[citation needed]
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: A vague memory of underground comix.

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:49 am

Cope wrote:oh god that second paragraph is perfect.

Since its introduction, it has attained a strong cult[citation needed] following and appraisal from varied cartoonists[who?] from both the mainstream and underground scenes.[citation needed]

:lol:

Also the only two references are from his twitter XD
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Re: A vague memory of underground comix.

Postby Bustertheclown on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:57 am

Cope wrote:
Sortelli wrote:tell me it wasn't this guy I kinda like his stuff http://www.indyplanet.com/front/?produc ... -stories-1

nooooooo. It was the guy who made this.

oh god that second paragraph is perfect.

I don't remember Horndog's art being nearly so polished.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:42 am

Sortelli wrote:It is pretty much a miracle that LC knew what you meant, yeah.
Wonderdrome's weird as shit. I actually immediately knew what VCC was referring to.

RobboAKAScooby wrote:We do need a fresh injection of drama around here.
Yeah, it's weird how little drama and whining there is here. Stuff comes up on other sites fairly often, but it probably won't make its way to CG unless VCC sees it and mentions it. I get that the resulting drama's the most entertaining and fun part of criticism, though, so I could be more vocal about that kinda stuff if I felt like it.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
Yeah, it's weird how little drama and whining there is here. Stuff comes up on other sites fairly often, but it probably won't make its way to CG unless VCC sees it and mentions it. I get that the resulting drama's the most entertaining and fun part of criticism, though, so I could be more vocal about that kinda stuff if I felt like it.

It's most fun when they lose it over polite reasonable complaints.
"It's my style!!!!!!!!!!!! Waahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:It's most fun when they lose it over polite reasonable complaints.
"It's my style!!!!!!!!!!!! Waahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Something like that's too plain to be fun to me.

OK, I guess when I have some time later, I'll make a post here with some stuff creators and fans have written.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:
Sortelli wrote:It is pretty much a miracle that LC knew what you meant, yeah.
Wonderdrome's weird as shit. I actually immediately knew what VCC was referring to.

Lol. I feel like we're a bunch of hermits in a hut and I'm the one that goes out into the market to pick up vegetables and comes back with the gossip from the other hermit coves.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to General Discussion