Webcomic Above You 2014

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Webcomic Above You 2014

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:16 am

Nobody panic!
I'm not suggesting we get this going quite yet but considering most past years have gone like this:
the past wrote:Me - It's W.A.Y. time again.
Everyone else - I'm not ready yet!!!

I thought I'd give a sizable lead time.

I'm suggesting mid-to-late March as go time but if the consensus is for a little later that's cool.

I figure with about 2 months lead time that should allow most of us to get our shit together as well as give time to promote the W.A.Y. to non-CGers and perhaps gain a larger pool of participants.

So everyone let me know if that's enough time for you guys.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Re: Webcomic Above You 2014

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Everyone else - I'm not ready yet!!!

Lmao exactly my thought process when I saw the thread title, oh my god.

I'd prefer a bit more into April so I have time to get further into my next chapter, though I could always just wait to join up if I don't feel prepared yet. (Also the fact that the first reviews usually don't start coming in until a week or two into the thing anyway)

I'd love if we can get some noobs up in here, though I suggest inviting people that you somewhat trust that you know will be able to contribute a good review. I'd hate to see one of us old dying whales get essentially skipped over just because someone from the netherworld didn't understand the rules or didn't care enough to follow through with their half of the thingie.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:50 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I'd hate to see one of us old dying whales get essentially skipped over just because someone from the netherworld didn't understand the rules or didn't care enough to follow through with their half of the thingie.

On the plus side I'm sure they'd give a "totally mature" response to being reviewed :lol:
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:16 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Nobody panic!

Juses, I actually did have a bit of panic. Good, good warning, you're right. The only thing I've really cleaned up since the last one has been my font (thanks, Cuds). I've been meaning to fix some site things, now I have a deadlineish. Word.
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby IVstudios on Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:15 am

I'll do whatever whenever, because whatever.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Humbug on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 pm

Echoing "I'm not ready!" D:
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 pm

The new Freakboy stuff won't be ready by March, but Red Slime just concluded in November (might be tricky/weird/fun to review), and there's always Webcomic Police stuff (review-reviews) or whatever else (?).

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I'd love if we can get some noobs up in here, though I suggest inviting people that you somewhat trust that you know will be able to contribute a good review. I'd hate to see one of us old dying whales get essentially skipped over just because someone from the netherworld didn't understand the rules or didn't care enough to follow through with their half of the thingie.
Yeah, I don't really mind re-reviews but it'd be interesting to get some new people and new webcomics involved. The other webcomics sites don't have anything like W.A.Y., so it might be a reason for people on other forums to come over here and participate.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:The new Freakboy stuff won't be ready by March, but Red Slime just concluded in November (might be tricky/weird/fun to review), and there's always Webcomic Police stuff (review-reviews) or whatever else (?).

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I'd love if we can get some noobs up in here, though I suggest inviting people that you somewhat trust that you know will be able to contribute a good review. I'd hate to see one of us old dying whales get essentially skipped over just because someone from the netherworld didn't understand the rules or didn't care enough to follow through with their half of the thingie.
Yeah, I don't really mind re-reviews but it'd be interesting to get some new people and new webcomics involved. The other webcomics sites don't have anything like W.A.Y., so it might be a reason for people on other forums to come over here and participate.

Let's be honest here, with me back in the webcomic game it's gonna be "Make Scooby Hate Himself Fest 2014".

But on a more positive note, please do spread the word.
I'm not a member of other webcomic communities so I'm kind of relying on you guys to bring in the fresh meat new participants...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:30 pm

I'll see if I can misguid- I mean, bring in some goons and/or wayward SJers.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:00 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Let's be honest here, with me back in the webcomic game it's gonna be "Make Scooby Hate Himself Fest 2014".
I haven't read the new stuff yet, but I'd say that you should give yourself credit for at least trying to use peer reviews to get better. You could've said "screw webcomics," thrown your art supplies in the trash, and watched TV instead, but you chose not to.

RobboAKAscooby wrote:But on a more positive note, please do spread the word.
I'm not a member of other webcomic communities so I'm kind of relying on you guys to bring in the fresh meat new participants...
I can PM a few people on SJ about it, at least.

edit:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I'll see if I can misguid- I mean, bring in some goons and/or wayward SJers.
You can try to get the SJ people if you want. I don't want them to, like, get two PMs about W.A.Y. That'd be annoying. I'll try to think of somewhere else I can find people. Also, for any lurkers/newbies reading this post, I definitely recommend participating. It's uncomfortable, yeah, but that's kinda the whole point.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:04 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:
RobboAKAscooby wrote:Let's be honest here, with me back in the webcomic game it's gonna be "Make Scooby Hate Himself Fest 2014".
I haven't read the new stuff yet, but I'd say that you should give yourself credit for at least trying to use peer reviews to get better. You could've said "screw webcomics," thrown your art supplies in the trash, and watched TV instead, but you chose not to.

Eh, I'm just being dramatic.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:30 pm

LC, why don't you get intouch with robybang and people like that who contribute to your site? Many of them have their own comics- I know roby hasn't updated his in a while but he might not mind getting it reviewed, and he might be able to suggest some people who'd like to participate.

I'll let you know who I PMed, since maybe we don't have total friend overlap and you'd be able to reach some different people.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 pm

UPDATE: Looking at where I'd like my comic to be I'm thinking mid-April might be better after all.

Yes I'm totally selfish about this XD
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby JSConner800 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Well, Steel Salvation Part 2 won't start up until June at the earliest, but when we entered last year we had 16 strips, and we now have 48 (plus website improvements!) so that should be enough new material to dig into, even if we don't have a whole new chapter started.

Also, I'm a member of the Webcomic Underdogs, so I will definitely plug W.A.Y. over there. It's a pretty active forum and there are some seriously talented creators over there, so I think I can get plenty of fresh meat for our little critical potluck :D
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:52 am

Just a heads up since we're about to hit April, time for us all to get our acts together.

We'll give it a couple of weeks and if everyone's good we'll do this thing...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:21 am

I'm so excited! But I'm so behind!!!

Day off = day of killing?????
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm

I can't wait! But I totally can, I have a lot of cleaning up to do >>
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby Terotrous on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 am

So are we doing this or what?
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Terotrous wrote:So are we doing this or what?

I was gonna kick it off Friday if nobody minds...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:51 pm

EEP!!!! D: D: D: :o :o :o D: D: D: *fainting emoticon*

do it though

ieiei
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to General Discussion