I started a Tumblr now help me write it

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

I started a Tumblr now help me write it

Postby Toxic on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 pm

http://startrektech.tumblr.com/

Finally a way to merge being an Apple geek and a Trekkie!

I think it's generally known Star Trek pre-visualized some major technological innovation - personal computing, cell phones, the iPad - but I want to showcase some of the smaller and less known items. What got the ball rolling was the new iPhone with a fingerprint scanner. I pointed out that the same concept was on Star Trek fifteen years earlier and someone suggested I start a Tumblr of nothing but stuff like that. I need material, anyone have anything that sticks out?
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Re: I started a Tumblr now help me write it

Postby IVstudios on Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:43 pm

A new retinal implant was just approved by the FDA that is basically Geordi's visor. I don't have much info on it, but there is a bit about it (and a bunch of other cool stuff) in this video. (And although it's not Star Trek, there's also a bit about a bionic hand in there not unlike Luke Skywalker's robot hand)

A few others off the top of my head:
Picard's artificial heart, (although I think those may predate TNG).

The Replicators are way better versions of 3D Printers (which can now print food and organs).

Captain Pike's beeping wheelchair that allows him to communicate despite being unable to physically speak is like a suckier version of Stephen Hawking's wheelchair.

If I think of any other's I'll be sure to post them.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Re: I started a Tumblr now help me write it

Postby Toxic on Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 pm

That bionic eye one is something!

I changed the url to the far catchier "Star Treknology". Noticed I can't edit posts anymore. When did that functionality disappear?
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Return to General Discussion