Digital Drawing Technology

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Digital Drawing Technology

Postby Bustertheclown on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 am

This has been touched upon in other threads, but I think it would be interesting to elaborate on.

As touch screen technology continues to become more prevalent, and tablets (the computing kind, not the drawing kind) continue to rise in popularity, it strikes me that the options to feasibly be able to carry and use a digital sketchbook in conjunction with one's computer setup is becoming more and more simple. I just got a Galaxy Note tablet, and its S Pen has a pressure sensitivity that is comparable to Wacom products. I'm currently shopping around for an a app that will turn it into a drawing tablet when I hook it up to my laptop. And, given that there are plenty of drawing apps out there, the ability to just draw or paint on the tablet or phone, and then import and refine on the computer is totally reasonable at this point.

And speaking of Wacom and tablets.

Anyone else getting fancy or clever with their digital drawing tools these days? Dish!
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Re: Digital Drawing Technology

Postby IVstudios on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Yeah, I was supper hyped for the new portable Cintiq's, but I was disappointed in the price. I'm probably only going to get one if I can find it used somewhere.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:00 pm

I think it's ridiculous that they set their price points so high. I get that they're a brand that is trying to appeal to a "professional" class, and their prices reflect that sort of exclusivity but at this point, with touch monitors and tablets becoming so prolific, a reasonably-priced mid-performance monitor tablet should be something that exists. If they don't do it, someone else is bound to.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Humbug on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Yea, I never got into Cintiqs because of their absurd price, especially since I'm still doing a fine job with my 10+ year old Wacom that was only a fraction of the cost. While the idea of the Cintiq Companion is neat, I'd rather just buy a replacement laptop with the money. It'll perform better and I can still play my games.
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:02 am

I was checking options when I was buying a tablet and here are my findings:
iPad is predictably the best in the arena, it has a wide choice of touch-sensitive pens with reasonable prices, one of them is bound to be good. iPas was out of my price range, plus I was really itching to see what the full around android was all about.
galaxy note is the next best thing with the touch sensitive pen provided in the box, but it's nearing iPad's price and it's been said that it's quality doesn't exactly justify it. what really put me off, though, was that I found that it's thin pen doesn't lie very comfortably in my hand. it's clearly not designed to be held for hour and it doesn't seem like a precision tool. possibly I would have gotten used to it, but possibly I would get cramps. I didn't feel like it was worth the money.
I opted for the ordinary 10' galaxy tab, which serves me well for other stuff. reading comics and magazines on it is a blast, and it's great for many small uses, like tuning a guitar or skyping from bed.
there are a few styluses for tablets like mine to be ordered from internet. from what I've read on internet (which never lies), they often aren't working properly or are hard to adjust. I dunno, I might still try one one day.
in general I don't see tablets as a great tool for artists. capacity-based touchscreen is simply imprecise by design. I sometimes can't even his the right button or gesture, let alone control my like and width with finesse.
programs are another thing. there's nothing even near Photoshop for android. interfaces for android programs are not remotely unified, there's nothing like win 95 to force a certain standardisation. therefore many of programs have really crappy, counterintuitive interfaces designed strictly with purpose of sticking as much as possible into a small screen. gestures aren't unified either, which can get specially confusing.
I'm sure at some point tablets will become a powerful drawing tool. for now, they're cool for sketching and stuff but I can't imagine making a comic on one.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:43 am

McDuffies wrote:there are a few styluses for tablets like mine to be ordered from internet. from what I've read on internet (which never lies), they often aren't working properly or are hard to adjust. I dunno, I might still try one one day.
in general I don't see tablets as a great tool for artists. capacity-based touchscreen is simply imprecise by design. I sometimes can't even his the right button or gesture, let alone control my like and width with finesse.

I've found a couple of good ones that I'm using with my ipad - Sensu Brush (has a brush end I find very nice for colouring) & Adonit Jot Pro (has a sort of fine point) - neither one is all that great for pressure sensitivity but they're a good mid price option. The Jot Pro makes up (a bit) for the generally imprecise nature of the touch screen.

McDuffies wrote:programs are another thing. there's nothing even near Photoshop for android. interfaces for android programs are not remotely unified, there's nothing like win 95 to force a certain standardisation. therefore many of programs have really crappy, counterintuitive interfaces designed strictly with purpose of sticking as much as possible into a small screen. gestures aren't unified either, which can get specially confusing.
I'm sure at some point tablets will become a powerful drawing tool. for now, they're cool for sketching and stuff but I can't imagine making a comic on one.

Yeah the lack of unity is unfortunate.
So far I've found Procreate to be the best app for myself, I don't know if it's available on Androids, but it's only really good for creating the artwork itself I suppose you'd have to find another app to put everything together for a proper comic.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Komiyan on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:41 pm

I got a Yiynova tablet monitor based on this review. It's about half the price of a Cintiq and is a pretty great bit of kit, and I've heard that said by people that can directly compare the two.
Komiyan
HOLD ON TO YOUR INTERNETS!!

Postby Rickford on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Kinda late to this thread, but I cannot reccommend the Surface Pro 2 strongly enough. It's wacom tech running on windows 8.1, with full pressure sensitivity. A simple driver update will have you full compatability with pretty much anything. I'm doing all my drawing on it using photoshop cc these days.

Worst case scenario and you get annoyed with drawing on it, it's a respectable mobile gaming rig too. Plug an xbox pad in and you're playing Batman Arkham Origins with no probs.
Rickford
Irreverent

Postby Bustertheclown on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:14 am

I installed a remote desktop controller to my Galaxy tonight (after several failed attempts) and the first thing I did was open up Illustrator and see if it works. It works like a charm. My galaxy is now a visual display drawing tablet.

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:52 am

That sounds pretty fine.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Return to General Discussion