Art issues: What have you struggled with and why?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Art issues: What have you struggled with and why?

Postby Yeahduff on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Draw. Draw anything. Draw everything.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby djracodex on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:20 am

McDuffies wrote:I've seen those kind of things... I'm a bit of a purist myself you cheater.

"Stove or microwave, my ramen's still hot" - Aristotle
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:55 am

I thought of another thing- diagonal skewing as I draw. It's fairly evident in almost all of my work, especially if you flip it horizontally.
Well I finally figured out why I do it. When I draw, I get real, real close to the paper, and I tilt my head to the left, about 10or 11 o'clock relative to the page. I wish someone had noticed and told me so years ago. I'm trying to break the habit now but sitting with my head straight feels unnatural and if I stop paying attention I go right back to the tilt -_-

Rotating the paper to match the tilt doesn't seem to fix the problem.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:52 am

Sometimes those quirks make our art distinct. Like all the master artists who subconsciously drew their noses into their work.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby JSConner800 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:36 am

So, after reading through this thread, I've decided not to say what I was going to say, which was "I can't draw." Now I'm just going to say "I lack the diligence and patience to learn how to draw." And this is why:

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Improvements are of course always welcome, but it's not like you need to be a master of every single thing, since it's not possible time wise for the majority of us. One thing about becoming a better artist (or comics creator in this specific case) is learning what skills you should expand on now in order to better your current work, and what skills (while good to learn) can be neglected for now or indefinitely.

Writing is my thing. It's the one thing I do well, so I make sure I do it damn well, and if that means sacrificing the time I could spend on learning how to draw in order to crank out a few more script pages, then that's fine with me. I'm lucky enough to have two incredibly talented artists who are willing to bring my writing to life, so it's just not something I need to prioritize. I'd love to be one of those comic authors who can draw and write with equal skill, but as Cuddly said, you can't be a master of every single thing, and if my past attempts to improve my drawing are any indication, the amount of diligence and patience I would require to master the art (I would accept nothing less from myself) are way, way beyond me.

Now, with that said, I do have some aspects of the art in Steel Salvation that I want to work on from my end, and that's in choosing a specific style for the comic. Right now, the art in our comic is pretty stiff and simplistic. It needs something, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what that may be. I've settled on German Expressionism as a style that's worth pursuing, because I think it fits the atmosphere of madness and decay I'm trying to create with the script. It helps that our artist has taken a class on German Expressionism, so he knows the style better than I do. The problem lies in introducing a new twist to our artwork out of nowhere. I suggested that he do it gradually, but we'll see what happens when the first of the new strips roll in.

Oh, also, I should probably mention feet. Evan doesn't like feet. He's never said this in so many words, but I don't think it's an accident that all of the character designs so far completely lack feet of any kind. He doesn't seem to like hands, either, since all of the character designs also feature big robes or cloaks that hide their hands. It's okay, though. I'll get my revenge when I introduce a character that's nothing but a hand. Mwahahahahaha! :twisted:

I'm totally fucking serious. He's gonna hate it.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:38 am

JSConner800 wrote:The problem lies in introducing a new twist to our artwork out of nowhere. I suggested that he do it gradually, but we'll see what happens when the first of the new strips roll in.

An alternative would be to introduce the style change at the start of a new chapter. Audiences are usually pretty forgiving of that kind of thing rather than in the middle of a story but it really depends on the way your comic is running.

JSConner800 wrote:Oh, also, I should probably mention feet. Evan doesn't like feet. He's never said this in so many words, but I don't think it's an accident that all of the character designs so far completely lack feet of any kind. He doesn't seem to like hands, either, since all of the character designs also feature big robes or cloaks that hide their hands. It's okay, though.

I think every artist goes through that phase of avoiding drawing hands/feet and in the end they regret it.
So yeah totally go for the giant hand creature :D
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm

JSConner800 wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Improvements are of course always welcome, but it's not like you need to be a master of every single thing, since it's not possible time wise for the majority of us. One thing about becoming a better artist (or comics creator in this specific case) is learning what skills you should expand on now in order to better your current work, and what skills (while good to learn) can be neglected for now or indefinitely.

Writing is my thing. It's the one thing I do well, so I make sure I do it damn well, and if that means sacrificing the time I could spend on learning how to draw in order to crank out a few more script pages, then that's fine with me. I'm lucky enough to have two incredibly talented artists who are willing to bring my writing to life, so it's just not something I need to prioritize. I'd love to be one of those comic authors who can draw and write with equal skill, but as Cuddly said, you can't be a master of every single thing, and if my past attempts to improve my drawing are any indication, the amount of diligence and patience I would require to master the art (I would accept nothing less from myself) are way, way beyond me.

I'm not sure that someone who aspires to be a comic author can neglect the whole drawing thing, it's kind of a big part.

Still if you've decided that you wanna be a writer primarily and not a full author, that's as well, and you're probably very well aware of difficulties that a comic writer runs into. Like difficulty to get writers, or the rarely recognized fact that, when it comes down to finished work, artist's vision usually overpowers writer's vision. Also writers are paid less.

But if you do wanna be an artist but you're discouraged by your attempts so far, I don't think that's a good reason to neglect your drawing. In that case, saying that you want to concentrate on writing would be just a rationalization for giving up. At least half of us can share a story about having difficulties and being discouraged numerous times.

I personally love drawing, and I love the whole process of drawing a comic, where a script (even if it's also written by me) is practically reinterpreted through art, and gets a lot more layers that I probably didn't have in mind when I was writing it. I like how the script can be read differently depending on how it's drawn, and I like the whole process of choosing the particular reading. To learn to draw better means having more freedom in choosing how to "read" your script.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:05 pm

McDuffies wrote:At least half of us can share a story about having difficulties and being discouraged numerous times.

Yep.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 pm

If you have never been discouraged or had difficulties, you're doing it wrong, and you will never get better.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby JSConner800 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:00 am

McDuffies wrote:I'm not sure that someone who aspires to be a comic author can neglect the whole drawing thing, it's kind of a big part...

...I personally love drawing, and I love the whole process of drawing a comic, where a script (even if it's also written by me) is practically reinterpreted through art, and gets a lot more layers that I probably didn't have in mind when I was writing it. I like how the script can be read differently depending on how it's drawn, and I like the whole process of choosing the particular reading. To learn to draw better means having more freedom in choosing how to "read" your script.

See, I think that the skills can be learned, but the passion can't, and I'm just not passionate about drawing. I've never been passionate about playing musical instruments, either, and I've tried to play more of them than I can count. I even got pretty good at some of them. But I never enjoyed it, and any time I improved, it was always because I was forced to. As soon as I had a choice, I quit, no matter how good I was at it. I've taken several drawing classes, and they briefly improved my art, but I hated doing them. I just kept at it because I thought it would be cool to be an artist, much like I thought it would be cool to be a rock star or a Billy Joel-style piano man. The thing is, artists, rock stars, and Billy Joel-style piano men love what they do to varying degrees, and after trying all those things, I realized that I didn't love them, and even if I did dedicate myself to perfecting an art that I didn't love, I would never be able to match an artist in his or her element.

Writing is different for me. I love every step of it. I can put out page after page of script, then spend several months re-reading and re-writing almost obsessively. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Hell, I love it so much, I don't care how thankless the job is, or how much less we get paid. I'm probably not going to break into professional comic writing any time soon anyway (I started writing, and will probably end writing, prose fiction). It's not exactly a rock star's life, but it's the one I want. I do wish I had a bit more freedom when it comes to translating my script into images, but sometimes Evan changes the panels I describe for the better, and it's always interesting to see how he interprets them.

I think every artist goes through that phase of avoiding drawing hands/feet and in the end they regret it.
So yeah totally go for the giant hand creature :D

He's not even a giant hand. He's just a normal-sized one that rolls around on a track ball. Evan's gonna haaaaaate it.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 am

I can totally understand the passion/motivation aspect, my big love is storytelling and over the years I've tried various ways to do it before finally finding a balance with illustrated novels.
I'm getting decent at drawing but I'm just not great at sequential art.

And back on the original topic:
I've got my iPad now and two good styluses - a sensu brush and an adonit jot pro - so I'm discovering a whole new world of issues to struggle with, mostly to do with the lack of friction.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:47 pm

JSConner800 wrote:See, I think that the skills can be learned, but the passion can't, and I'm just not passionate about drawing.

Fair enough.

I really haven't.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:34 pm

JSConner800 wrote:See, I think that the skills can be learned, but the passion can't, and I'm just not passionate about drawing.

That's a really good way of putting it.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 am

Can't really think of anywhere else to put this:

Last week I got some books I ordered off Amazon. Books on the artwork of Bruce Timm, Betty and Veronica and Disney Princesses (some of the stuff that inspires me stylistically) and it is incredible to look through this stuff and think how much I suck in comparison but also be uplifted and encouraged by it. There's just something positive about looking at the work of people you admire and studying the way they put things together - Timm's line work is amazing - it's something I don't think I would have understood when I first started drawing five years ago.

And back on the original topic, I'm having some consistency issues with my new style but, still, it is looser than my old which is an important improvement.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 am

RobboAKAscooby wrote:...it is incredible to look through this stuff and think how much I suck in comparison but also be uplifted and encouraged by it. There's just something positive about looking at the work of people you admire and studying the way they put things together - Timm's line work is amazing - it's something I don't think I would have understood when I first started drawing five years ago.

I love it when I can catch livedraws or art streams of artists I watch on tumblr or deviantart. Watching people draw is really fascinating, especially if their style influences me. Seeing people's doodles and throw-away sketches can be pretty informative too. You're right though, it's strangely encouraging, and you definitely get more out of it the more experience you've had. Yay arts!
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am

Bruce timm, Archie and recent Disney? interesting.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby chainmailbikini on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Well, I've had a lot of issues in the past but right now my main concerns with my art are consistency and expression. I think my characters often look totally different from one panel to the next and heaven forbid if I try to draw one with a smile or have some quirky expression, then they look like another character entirely. Some folks think I have a problem drawing boobs too, but that is not a concern on my plate right now. References and research!
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Postby djracodex on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Staaaaaaaaiiiirrrrrsssss. Why do my backgrounds have So Many Staaaaaaaaiiirrrs! I'm entertaining the idea of this culture pioneering the sky-lift so I don't have to draw stairs anymore :ick:
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby Sortelli on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:38 am

Oh man I hear you about stairs.

*stands there and does not do a homestuck meme*

Also shading.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby McDuffies on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:59 am

I have been writing something and it seems very good. But I feel like I've been saying that many times and every time for a different comic.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion