Webcomics You Read

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Webcomics You Read

Postby Bustertheclown on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Lots of interesting stuff out there on the wide wide world of web. What do you read?

Personally, I like Bouletcorp when I catch it. Today's strip (linked) especially speaks to me.

And even though it's filthy and absolutely NSFW, I love Oglaf. I never knew sex jokes could be so clever.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Re: Webcomics You Read

Postby Sortelli on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:56 pm

At this exact moment I am reading about a one eyed pig girl beating up on the guys from Between Failures which seems like one of the best possible things I can say about a comic but apparently that was just a cameo, ALAS:

http://lucy-comic.com/lucy-webcomic/015
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Here's some from my SJ favorites list that I really have been enjoying.

http://theia-mania.smackjeeves.com/ Theia Mania, Greek myths told with a pleasant art style and modern parlance. An enjoyable read.

http://ballandchain.smackjeeves.com/ Ball and Chain, kind of a distopian but mundane setting, and the style is so grim and yet warm at the same time. Really interested in where the story is going to go.

http://maytheraincome.smackjeeves.com/ May the Rain Come, a very thoughtful and classic looking comic that's already completed so you can read it all in one go. A soldier comes home to no remaining family members and has to find the strength to move on.

http://grayscale.smackjeeves.com/ Grayscale, a neat scifi story about hybrid kinda transformy people or something, it looks cool and isn't much like any other stories I've seen.

And a random assortment:
http://www.whompcomic.com/ Whomp!, if you haven't heard of it by now you should read it, always enjoyable even when it's not hilarious. Self-deprecating humor that is actually funny and relatable.

http://www.twostepsbackcomic.com/ Two Steps Back, I haven't read the archive but I usually click on it when it comes up on Just The First Frame. It's not super exciting but it's a comfortable read, good for a grin usually, a lot of "Oh that happened to me and so-and-so let me send this to them" kind of stuff.

http://www.lunarbaboon.com/ LunarBaboon, about being a dad. Pretty funny and insightful without being heavy handed.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby [geoduck] on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:38 am

Paonia Pawns is a sprawling long-running bit of weirdness that appears to be about to finish up its story.

If you like zombies, Dead Winter features excellent grayscale art.

And Basic Instructions is always good for a laugh or three.
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 am

Bustertheclown wrote:And even though it's filthy and absolutely NSFW, I love Oglaf. I never knew sex jokes could be so clever.
I wanna read it, but I only read webcomics at work, so I can't. =/ I'll have to make time for it eventually.

As for mine, here's some from my Links page that I haven't reviewed yet:

Under the Dead Skies - zombeez

Static Skies - great all-around comic, just got Spotlighted

Freaks - killer artwork

Moth - I think I've mentioned it here before. Also just got Spotlighted.

Host - A fun, stylistic comic about a dorky kid trying to make friends. Hasn't updated lately.

The Plague Doctor - Strawman gets introduced, protagonist kills him or her, rinse and repeat. It isn't a good comic, but I keep coming back to it anyways. It's so cheesy that it kinda has a "so bad, it's good" thing going on.

Kill Me or Die - It doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but it's got good artwork and some funny moments.

Nedroid Picture Diary - It's pretty funny.

Perry Bible Fellowship - Kinda obvious, but you gotta read it if you haven't

Moképon - Pokémon webcomic with great manga artwork

And some other stuff:

Helix - impressive artwork

The Infected - I haven't gotten to read it yet, but the art style's really cool.

Claire the Flare - Completed superhero comic that looks pretty good. The creator has another comic called The Evil Queen that hasn't updated in a few months.

Phantomland - seems like a pretty good manga

All Night - A new fantasy webcomic that looks pretty good so far
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 am

Wow, I am reeeeaaally liking that May the Rain Come comic, way more than I thought I would.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 am

Sortelli wrote:Wow, I am reeeeaaally liking that May the Rain Come comic, way more than I thought I would.

I felt the same way going into it. It was funny, the art seemed to take itself a little too seriously in the beginning, but it's just a really well-told story that did a good job of hooking me in and making me want to see it through to the finish. The artist really improved over the course of the comic, too, and did so while keeping up with a really demanding schedule (if I recall correctly it was 7 days a week, she took like one weekend off to celebrate her birthday or something)
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:08 pm

I felt the same way going into it. It was funny, the art seemed to take itself a little too seriously in the beginning, but it's just a really well-told story that did a good job of hooking me in and making me want to see it through to the finish.

Yeah, dramatic furries are usually a big warning sign, but damn if this wasn't like anything else I've ever read in a long time. It's like... I'd forgotten what it was like to read about people with good manners. It was really daring to cover things like PTSD and autism from the perspective of that time frame without forcing modern perspective into it.

also i cried like a babby
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Sortelli wrote:
I felt the same way going into it. It was funny, the art seemed to take itself a little too seriously in the beginning, but it's just a really well-told story that did a good job of hooking me in and making me want to see it through to the finish.

Yeah, dramatic furries are usually a big warning sign, but damn if this wasn't like anything else I've ever read in a long time. It's like... I'd forgotten what it was like to read about people with good manners. It was really daring to cover things like PTSD and autism from the perspective of that time frame without forcing modern perspective into it.

also i cried like a babby

Ferreal. I want to read it again now that it's completed so I can go through it all in one sitting. Lol, there were some pages where as I read them I was like "Dammit, she's making me have feelings." :x
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:01 pm

http://whatnonsensecomic.com/ Here's one from someone who was here back when it was Keenspace I believe. I binged it in a day, I really like the mood and atmosphere of it. When she gets it printed I'm definitely going to try to snatch up a baby. Updates are spotty nowadays but that's really the only "complaint" I have about the comic.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 pm

What Nonsense was one of ours? I've read it off and on again as I see ads for it, it's got a certain charm.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:46 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Here's one from someone who was here back when it was Keenspace I believe.
Who is it?
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:09 am

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=40136 Tho I may have it confused. I think she was hosted on SJ, but just posted here a few times.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:25 pm

I haven't changed my webcomic selection in years, I think they're all very familiar comics.

Bad Machinery, and also revived Bobbins, yeee!

Gunerkrigg Court which is as great as ever

Hark! a vagrant, when it updates.

Oglaf, which as said before, is NSFW

Commander Kitty

Power Nap

I think that's about it.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Sortelli on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:37 pm

I've always been very fond of Hubris: http://hubriscomics.com

It's a newspaper quality webcomic about outdoors sporty stuff, camping, biking, skating, etc. And by newspaper quality it's that familiar format, gag a day, nothing particularly challenging about the content.

It is about as far from anything related to my life and interests as I can imagine. And yet... AND YET... I find it utterly charming.

I guess because it is all about physical activity but frames it as being kind of a crazy lifestyle full of pain and injuries instead of THE HEALTHY WAY YOUR TV AND THE FIRST LADY WANT YOU TO LIVE so it actually comes off as fun instead of fake. And honestly I can always appreciate striving to do something even if it means falling over and getting hurt a lot. Well. I can appreciate that in my heart. While I sit down somewhere safe and warm.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm currently not reading any webcomics except for reviews, but later I'll, like, post a tl;dr list of stuff that got 4-stars or better on the WP in the past year.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby JSConner800 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:01 pm

I used to follow a couple comics likeDr. McNinja and EGS, but for various reasons (one of them being that there just aren't enough hours in a day), I've dropped off the old standbys. The only comic I'm really following now is The Demon Archives, which I started reading for a short story collaboration between myself and Dan Sharp, and the incredible artwork kept me coming back long after I'd finished researching for my story. It's possibly the most professional-quality artwork I've seen in a webcomic, though I'm not exactly an expert on that subject.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 am

Atomic Fist Punch - G-rated action/sci-fi

Blüdnekk the BaraBarian - rock-hard party boners

City of Trees - ethics/sociology with animals

Dice: The Cube that Changes Everything - manhwa that's in my search strings a lot

Djandora - furry hippies vs. robots

Dreamkeepers - furry fantasy stuff that Riiser's stoked about

Flight of the Binturong - quality generic sci-fi

Flurry - post-apocalyptic short story

Haru-Sari - a really good manhwa I wouldn't mind reading more of sometime

Homestuck - makes you go crazy and paint your skin gray

Oglaf - awesome NSFW comic

Property of Hate - trippy surrealism stuff

String Theory - post-apocalyptic sci-fi with awesome evil protagonist

What Birds Know - really original fantasy story

JSConner800 wrote:The only comic I'm really following now is The Demon Archives, which I started reading for a short story collaboration between myself and Dan Sharp, and the incredible artwork kept me coming back long after I'd finished researching for my story. It's possibly the most professional-quality artwork I've seen in a webcomic, though I'm not exactly an expert on that subject.
I have a request for that one. Maybe I'll try to get it done this weekend.
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby JSConner800 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:39 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I have a request for that one. Maybe I'll try to get it done this weekend.

I'm curious to see what you think of the art. Hopefully I didn't oversell it XD
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:01 pm

JSConner800 wrote:I'm curious to see what you think of the art. Hopefully I didn't oversell it XD
It's sweet. *thumbs up* (Of course, Piriz is a pro, so I'd hope that his stuff's professional-looking.)
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Return to General Discussion