Webcomic Above You 2013 - Reviews & Discussion

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Webcomic Above You 2013 - Reviews & Discussion

Postby Sortelli on Fri May 31, 2013 12:21 pm

In my next review: Somebody dies.

:D :D :D

Thanks, I appreciate getting some input from someone who isn't into the epic fantasy stuff. Ariandre is the brains of the operation, but chapter 1 is focusing on Jors so far mostly to establish why he needs her help, and vice versa. Long term I see Ariandre being the true protagonist who has a character arc while Jors is more of a cipher who doesn't change largely because he thinks he doesn't need to, and chapter 2 will hopefully be where Ari gets to take the forefront.

As for the goblins, hmm. I'm pretty sure Oliffs and Mixli will be easily distinguishable in the future, but Oliffs looks a lot like Quizzy with the same hair color and near identical styles so far... that's also a lot of goblins for a reader to keep track of. I'll try to find a way to make them more distinct.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby LibertyCabbage on Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
LibertyCabbage wrote:On the bright side, at least the webcomic's "critically-acclaimed," I guess.

This made me laugh.
I mean, even going back to W.A.Y 2011, Loud Era consistently gotten some pretty positive reviews. So, that's something to feel good about, even if readers aren't exactly pouring in.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I think you're right about pacing for sure. I really need to push myself do update at least twice a week.
Maybe updating more often's a realistic option after all, then. I don't really feel like it's merely an issue of "tightening up the writing," though, as much as that a fundamental shift is needed. You've already stated that you don't wanna trim the cast, which I'm not gonna argue against, but I think the next step is coming up with a new strategy to accommodate the large cast besides just "condense the story more."

That leads me to some thoughts on Chapter 4, but I probably have enough to say about it (both good and bad) to formally review it at some point, either as part of W.A.Y. (pending availability) or as a regular review. I don't think I have the time or energy right now at the moment to get into it.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:(I should really finish the review I was half done with over at SJ so I can read your comic and add a second review to this W.A.Y. thread)
On the positive side, the 20-page mark was a little weird since it's right in the middle of the chapter's climax, so it's kinda nice that the scene's gotten a little more time to play out. (It's that text-heavy scene I mentioned being concerned about it in the "comic-wise" thread.) I also don't feel nervous about the impending review, which is nice 'cause I've always felt kinda guilty about making people wait on their requests since, y'know, it's normal for it to be a stressful situation.

VeryCuddleCornpone wrote:lest this turn into "The Year We All Ruminated on Loud Era"
It's fun, though, and you're such a good sport about it. :D But yeah, uh, I guess it's partly that initial burst of excitement that Stuff's Happening, and your webcomic ended up getting reviewed way before anybody else's.

RobboAKAscooby wrote:I miss doing comics
I hear ya. =/ I think W.A.Y. 2012 really helped inspire me to start drawing webcomics again.

Humbug wrote:Would love to join you guys, but I don't think ToP is ready for reviews and I want to wait until the entirety of the tavern scene is up. That's when people will get a feel for the plot and where it's going. But that won't be until early next year. Oh well, maybe I'll join you guys in 2014.
I think a lack of content really isn't that much of a problem when writing reviews, especially if the reviewer's prepared to write a little differently by focusing on specific panels, pages, and scenes versus a more general approach. The stigma against early reviews is two-fold, in that A) it's easy for a reviewee to be defensive about an undeveloped plot, and B) webcomics tend to end prematurely and abruptly, which means reviewing new ones might end up being kind of a waste of time.

Humbug wrote:Well, I suppose I could put up Crux even though it's currently on hiatus and the website isn't even finished yet. X3
Hiatus'd webcomics are definitely okay. (And I should've definitely included that as one of the rules.)

JSConner800 wrote:*watches as no one posts in this thread ever again*
If there was really a lull like that, I'd probably post. I'm kinda staying separate for now since A) I already have open requests in the Titty-and-Tea forum, and B) my reviews can be, uh, kind of intense, and I don't want people to feel weird about it. I really just kinda "go with the flow," though, and I'd see myself participating on a whim. For now, though, I think things have been picking pretty good lately.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri May 31, 2013 1:08 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I mean, even going back to W.A.Y 2011, Loud Era consistently gotten some pretty positive reviews. So, that's something to feel good about, even if readers aren't exactly pouring in.

Quality and popularity don't always go hand-in-hand.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 pm

LibertyCabbage wrote:I mean, even going back to W.A.Y 2011, Loud Era consistently gotten some pretty positive reviews. So, that's something to feel good about, even if readers aren't exactly pouring in.

You're right. And I think I'm getting to be comfortable with my readership. I'd rather work on a decent comic that's curiously unpopular than a poorly written/drawn/whatevered comic that's only extremely popular due to some lucky strike niche being tapped. Not that popular good comics don't exist, obviously, but out of the first two options, I think that that's the better one, personally.

]Maybe updating more often's a realistic option after all, then. I don't really feel like it's merely an issue of "tightening up the writing," though, as much as that a fundamental shift is needed. You've already stated that you don't wanna trim the cast, which I'm not gonna argue against, but I think the next step is coming up with a new strategy to accommodate the large cast besides just "condense the story more."

That leads me to some thoughts on Chapter 4, but I probably have enough to say about it (both good and bad) to formally review it at some point, either as part of W.A.Y. (pending availability) or as a regular review. I don't think I have the time or energy right now at the moment to get into it.

That'd be really awesome. This chapter has been a weird one for me to work on, and looking back at some of the pages I get a little disappointed because I think my lethargy was really coming through on a lot of them. Even writing wise it has been pretty weak, being more of a "well let's see how everybody's doing" type of a chapter as opposed to a more focused narrative.

On the positive side, the 20-page mark was a little weird since it's right in the middle of the chapter's climax, so it's kinda nice that the scene's gotten a little more time to play out. (It's that text-heavy scene I mentioned being concerned about it in the "comic-wise" thread.) I also don't feel nervous about the impending review, which is nice 'cause I've always felt kinda guilty about making people wait on their requests since, y'know, it's normal for it to be a stressful situation.

It's going to be weird for me to review a comic that I've actually been keeping up with since it's inception. I've been enjoying it so far, I'll be sure upon my rereads to dial down my cheer and try to look at it with more of a critical eye ;)

It's fun, though, and you're such a good sport about it. :D

Lol! As long as I'm not the only one getting something positive out of it, then I guess we're okay :p

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Quality and popularity don't always go hand-in-hand.

This is true, of course. And like I said I'd rather have Loud Era be something kinda sturdy that can hold up to criticism rather than a flimsy pretty thing that dissolves the instant you try to analyze it.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Okay I got no google doc to link to so prepare for a wall of text for my Loud Era review. I didn't read the previous reviews so that I'd come from my own and not build off of that but ... hell I'm just kinda gushy over it to be honest:

Slice of life comics succeed and fail based on the strength of their casts, and Loud Era clears the bar in this regard. Each of the main characters is unique, relatable and interesting -- especially Joseph, the kid brother with bad legs who stars prominently in the banner and the excellent opening... or Clarabelle, a tall and broad shouldered girl who is never referred to as tall or broad shouldered. You'll know her for her fear of disappointing her parents, or how her concerns over social class steer her into some ugly conflicts. Or Marie, the little spritely one who overreacts to everything and can't pull the curtain on the terrible school play and spends her whole night waiting for her friends to come over after the prom and still smiles almost constantly, or Eddie, who has to hide almost every facet of his thoroughly decent life from his parents... and yeah I'd probably end up describing them all here so there you go. I like these guys.

It's a mature story that touches on topics like drugs and sex and racism without obsessing over them, and entirely from a 1920's perspective. When Clarabelle refuses to go steady with a Jewish boy (I hope we get more of Leon in the future btw) her friend calls her on it but doesn't go so far as to agree that she'd ever marry a Jew herself. This is not a modern voice forcing modern mores into the past, this is a conversation that could have happened at the time.

Joseph takes a bunch of pills on prom night so that he won't need to use his cane and it wrecks him. He and Cecilia spend a night in bed without being able to do what most folks would like to do after the prom and it's very sweet without being sappy or preachy. And the fact that these two also keep breaking up because Joesph keeps cheating on her only adds depth to this moment. The conflicts are very human and easy to relate to even though it is still very easy to remember that the story is taking place nearly a century in the past.

There are a lot of comics that try to incorprate some of these subjects and fail miserably by turning everything into a grotesque puppet show. When Clarabelle dumps Leon its sad to watch from both sides, but even though she's wrong she isn't The Worst Person In The World For Commiting The Ultimate Sin of Bigotry. Likewise Cecilia and Joseph don't get their chance to sleep together but it never comes across as any kind of cartoonish WAIT UNTIL MARRIAGE DON'T DO DRUGS OKAY kind of thing. It's just real.

The characters are drawn in a distinct style and have clearly identifiable characteristics even though it might take a bit of time to see them behind their enormous eyes -- I don't mind this though. These aren't animu eyes, and they come in different shapes and sizes. So do the people for that matter, even the oldest pages have obvious distinctions in height and body shape. It seems like a simple thing but most artists just completely miss on important things like that.

Although the strips are edited digitally everything from the linework to the coloring to the lettering is done on paper. It looks fantastic, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if it might look better colored and inked on the PC. I think some of the early strips suffered in composition because of that, but the recent strips are clearly composed with the entire page in mind:

http://loudera.smackjeeves.com/comics/1 ... -barracks/
http://loudera.smackjeeves.com/comics/1 ... an-advice/

not that i am a dude to talk about this i still gotta draw on papes too

Even back in the early pages there is some straight up brilliance, look at how these faces look from, like, all of chapter 2:

http://loudera.smackjeeves.com/comics/1 ... -dallying/
http://loudera.smackjeeves.com/comics/1 ... but-where/
http://loudera.smackjeeves.com/comics/1 ... e-finally/

I can't imagine any better way to capture the grimacing awkwardness of highschool theather than those rictus, toothy mouths. Especially in contrast with all the normal looking people in the audience who are not trying to act at the moment. agalglalgalgl I love this comic.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjghghghghghghhghjghgjgghjgjgjgjjgghgjjhgjhgjhg heeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp i'm mellllltinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh sortelliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii SORTELLIIIIIIIIII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54#t=00m17s

my heart popped like a water balloon i will write a proper response after i'm done hospital
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

this is a positive responsebtw
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Fri May 31, 2013 4:18 pm

hahah I am glad, I still feel a little bad like I could have said something helpful but whatevs I will read your comic to the end. :D
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:30 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
RobboAKAscooby wrote:Quality and popularity don't always go hand-in-hand.

This is true, of course. And like I said I'd rather have Loud Era be something kinda sturdy that can hold up to criticism rather than a flimsy pretty thing that dissolves the instant you try to analyze it.

Like most of popular entertainment right now, unfortunately.

Also:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhjjjjjjjjjjjjjjghghghghghghhghjghgjgghjgjgjgjjgghgjjhgjhgjhg heeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp i'm mellllltinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhh sortelliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii SORTELLIIIIIIIIII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54#t=00m17s

my heart popped like a water balloon i will write a proper response after i'm done hospital

Nice subtle, calm response :D
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby JSConner800 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:39 pm

Sortelli wrote:
In my next review: Somebody dies.

:D :D :D

Thanks, I appreciate getting some input from someone who isn't into the epic fantasy stuff. Ariandre is the brains of the operation, but chapter 1 is focusing on Jors so far mostly to establish why he needs her help, and vice versa. Long term I see Ariandre being the true protagonist who has a character arc while Jors is more of a cipher who doesn't change largely because he thinks he doesn't need to, and chapter 2 will hopefully be where Ari gets to take the forefront.

Yeah, I had a feeling she'd find her way into the spotlight, so the Jors to Ari imbalance was more of an observation than a criticism. I'm glad you've planned ahead to chapter 2, that's always a good sign :D

Sortelli wrote:
As for the goblins, hmm. I'm pretty sure Oliffs and Mixli will be easily distinguishable in the future, but Oliffs looks a lot like Quizzy with the same hair color and near identical styles so far... that's also a lot of goblins for a reader to keep track of. I'll try to find a way to make them more distinct.

That could just be my racism talking. I have a habit of discriminating against goblins. And unfortunately, just because I'm aware of it doesn't mean I can help making snap judgments like that. They do seem to be mostly palette-swapped, and their palettes are pretty similar at that. Anyway, hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Like most of popular entertainment right now, unfortunately.

Like the new Star Trek movie? I had a fun time at the theater, but it only took about a day for that house of cards to come apart. Dubious plot twists and poor characterization can be masked for only so long.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby Humbug on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:08 am

Since I'm not particularly creative at writing well, anything, I'm just gonna use LC's bulletpoint as pretty much the basis for my review so it's going to be very simple. X3 Alright, so... JSConner800's Steel Salvation:

First off, the website, it represents the comic's theme well, it's futuristic, has robotic elements, and is in grayscale, very clean and simple, I like it a lot. The fixed positioning of the menu and navigation is a really nice and convenient touch to the layout. The buttons are always in place no matter where you scroll, and you dont have to moce up or down to get to them.

I think Dy-gar is a very interesting character, he comes off as a pshychotic murderer, but he's also lonely and insecure. What little pages the comic has shows lots of layers we have yet to uncover because of his fragmented memory, so there is definitely more to see. I didn't realize that his face is actually a screen so when he changed expressions a page later I got a little confused at first because I thought it was a diferent character. The confusion cleared up very quickly however, so I don't think changing the face is necessary.

The dialogue is pretty natural as far as robots go, although the introduction is mainly the main character monologuing. I didn't get bored reading it however, so it's still a good thing. And the idea of using the main character explaining his situation as narration is a good one, it gets rid of the pesky disembodied narrator and adds a personal touch to the exposition.

As for the story, so far it's only 9 pages. but it already sets up the premise nicely, and we also get a feel for the setting. Also only having one character actually helps the pacing.

The art is a very clean simple style, lots of bold lines with little texturing. The art does have lots of details in it however, with buildings, wreckage and debris in the background so we can clearly see what the world is like. The artist definitely does a good job at conveying a post-apocolyptic world. There's not much difference in the colour values however, many objects share a very similar gray tone with others. But the big bold lines help separate them. Because the comic paneling mainly uses a vertical format, the lettering has a very nice flow, with text bubbles/boxes just flowing down, making it very easy on the eyes.

I think the most noteworthy page would be when the goddess first appears, going back to my point about the small tonal values, because she is completely white and glowing, and also the only instance where there is actual lighting so far, it really makes her stand out. The overall grayness really complements her in this case.

I'm quite interested in where this comic is going. There's a lot about Dy-gar we don't know yet, and is the world really devoid of people? Why is he stuck in only one part of a city? Is he going to go into outer space? Will he just keep killing or will he find a better purpose? The comic draws the me in with these questions and makes me want to see how all these points will resolve itself.

I would say keep it up, I like where this is going. :)
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby JSConner800 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks for the review, Humbug! Sounds like we're on the right track. You're asking the right kind of questions about the plot, and believe me, I can't wait to answer those questions. I deliberately wanted this story to be a slow burn, at least at the start, so right now I just have to be patient and keep developing Dy-Gar and his world, even though I really just want to jump to the big stuff. I have the entire story mapped out, and I have roughly two years' worth of script written already. Even so, I really want to skip to the part I'm writing now at the end of Part 2 :lol:

But the slow burn is something we see so rarely these days that I can't skip ahead, because I think a good story is all about pacing and proper development, rather than how many wild action scenes you can pack into a two hour movie or an eight part comic series. I'm glad you enjoyed the first nine pages of Steel Salvation, and I hope, as we build up to bigger and more exciting things, we can deliver on the story's potential.
My eternal schlong unravels - VeryCuddlyCornpone
JSConner800
Regular Poster

Postby Humbug on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:12 am

I get you about the slow burn. And you seem to be going faster than me, ToP doesn't actually start rolling until 40 pages in. (I also have more characters to introduce XD) Most of it is just banter, but I feel it's important to get to know them before moving into the plot.
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:58 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I think I'm getting to be comfortable with my readership. I'd rather work on a decent comic that's curiously unpopular than a poorly written/drawn/whatevered comic that's only extremely popular due to some lucky strike niche being tapped. Not that popular good comics don't exist, obviously, but out of the first two options, I think that that's the better one, personally.
That's good to hear. I think I've been framing some of my comments in the context that you've been clamoring for more reader interaction. I guess it comes to that question of "Am I content with my webcomic?" because if a creator isn't, then they should actively try to do something differently, even if that just means developing a different mental approach.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Even writing wise it has been pretty weak, being more of a "well let's see how everybody's doing" type of a chapter as opposed to a more focused narrative.
I think you're being way too humble by suggesting that your writing's "pretty weak." I just have some thoughts regarding the direction of the comic, and while I wasn't really intending to do a third write-up of Loud Era, I realized it'd be silly to write a critique of that length and not treat it as being an actual review.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:It's going to be weird for me to review a comic that I've actually been keeping up with since it's inception. I've been enjoying it so far, I'll be sure upon my rereads to dial down my cheer and try to look at it with more of a critical eye ;)
I guess I should shut up about it and just let you do your thing. :X

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Lol! As long as I'm not the only one getting something positive out of it, then I guess we're okay :p
I just never get tired of writing about comics. :D My problem's just having a limited amount of time, but it's an interesting subject, so I don't mind.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:This is true, of course. And like I said I'd rather have Loud Era be something kinda sturdy that can hold up to criticism rather than a flimsy pretty thing that dissolves the instant you try to analyze it.
Totally.

Sortelli wrote:Okay I got no google doc to link
I don't think I've seen a Google Doc review before this thread, so it ain't exactly standard. I think just IV did it for some reason, and then JSConner did it too, and two people doing something means that now it's a trend. =P

Humbug wrote:ince I'm not particularly creative at writing well, anything, I'm just gonna use LC's bulletpoint as pretty much the basis for my review so it's going to be very simple. X3
I'm glad the suggestions helped. I think's a pretty thorough review, especially considering that the subject's a story that's just starting out.

Yeahduff wrote:My comic is six pages long, if you can make it to 500 words, great, but don't worry about it.
<Barney Stinson>Challenge accepted!</Barney Stinson> I haven't looked at the comic, yet, though, so I'll see how it goes. Since it's such a short read, I should hopefully be able to get something done pretty soon. *fingers crossed*

So, after a recent flurry of activity, here's where things are at now:

Freakboy Did a Bad Thing -- reviewed by VeryCuddlyCornpone -- incomplete
Loud Era -- reviewed by IVstudios -- complete
Inhumation -- reviewed by djracodex -- incomplete
Masadjra -- reviewed by VeryCuddlyCornpone -- incomplete
Loud Era -- reviewed by Sortelli -- complete
No Scrying -- reviewed by JSConner800 -- complete
Steel Salvation -- reviewed by Humbug -- complete
Crux -- reviewed by Yeahduff -- incomplete
Murder on the 95th/Dan Ryan -- reviewed by LibertyCabbage -- incomplete
Freakboy Did a Bad Thing -- reviewed by ????
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

/JokeAtExpenseOfMoribundForum

Postby Cope on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:35 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:
Sortelli wrote:Okay I got no google doc to link
I don't think I've seen a Google Doc review before this thread, so it ain't exactly standard. I think just IV did it for some reason, and then JSConner did it too, and two people doing something means that now it's a trend. =P

Hey, that's about half the forum right there!
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby djracodex on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:32 pm

My review on Inhumation should be done tomorrow. I'm saying this here so I can basically be held accountable. There.
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby IVstudios on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:10 pm

You better keep your promise or so help me I'll mope at you!
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 am

IVstudios wrote:You better keep your promise or so help me I'll mope at you!

Mope no further!

Inhumation - IVstudios

Inhumation means ‘to place in a grave, or bury’, I think that gives us a good idea for the theme of this comic. Inhumation follows a dead goth girl as she tries to make it in Hell, where she must get a roommate, get a job, and pay bills – Hell sounds pretty awful.

Website: Easy to navigate. Characters we know and love up top, and that ever lingering Warden in the bg sets the theme of the comic effectively. Banners for the different chapters are great, though maybe some page numbers, or links to specific pages would be nice. That being said, each chapter is easily digestible, so it’s not a big deal.
Each page has the characters that appear in it linked at the bottom. This link follows to a list of all the pages this character has been on Pretty neat feature, I think.
Let’s focus on the New to the Comic section. I now firmly believe that every comic needs to have some sort of version of this. These mini comics are HYSTERICAL, and do a pretty effective job of summing up the chapters, and making me want to read the comic. Go read them, right now.

Art: Artwork and style evolves in all comics, but Inhumation suffered a bout of style-puberty to become the clean-looking comic it is today. Y’all ready for some list action?
    Starting off in B/W, and some distractingly large page numbers (Pg 1-~50)
    Starting to get some cleaner lines around (pg 51)
    Red lining with B/W is interesting. It’s good to branch out and try new things (pg 72)
    Red lining with color is branching too far I think, but thankfully it doesn’t last long (pg73)
    Back to B/W (pg 77)
    Full color with clean black lines (pg 86)
    Now we have hand-written bubbles. A nice touch. The drawing style also changed a bit around here (pg 94)
    Back to B/W (pg 105)
    Green is actually really pleasing to look at. Using different colors to accent objects is subtle and effective. Lovely! (Chapter 6. No more pg numbers)
For 30+ pages there was some serious stylization soul-searching going on, but after that it’s pretty smooth sailing (bonus alliteration, booya), and I believe to be unique to the comic.
As for the art in general, there was some anatomical offness (pg 64) at the beginning. When rooms are drawn they are very bleak and simple (a couch here, a shelf there, walls are pretty plain). Though, the market scene is filled with details. Speaking of details, I appreciate that Claire had hat-hair for a couple pages (pg 94), nice touch lol
Being that this is Hell, I would really like to see more scenery and imagination. I know it’s supposed to be sort of normal, and boring, but that doesn’t mean it can’t have some sinister/odd theme to it. The first glimpse of hell we get is Chapter 3, where there are just people chilling in a land of flames like it’s the mall. Pg 88 has a frame of buildings that look a little wonky (in a good kind of wonky way), I think more of that sort of feel would help define the world a little more.

Characters: I find all these characters to be pretty believable, along with most of their dialog, motives and actions. Each character has a unique style, and silhouette.

Kame is adorable, I’ll just get that out there first. I was a little put off by the whole cliché goth-chick-joins-a-cult thing, but the comic likes to poke fun at itself, and addresses the incident as an embarrassing one. As far as her ‘goth’ persona, behind the face tattoos and dark clothing she’s not very angsty (considering what she’s going through, she could be a lot worse, but she is literally going through hell). She seems to love meeting new people, tolerates her work, and get excited about cute things. She hasn’t really grieved about dying, she just sort of rolled with it. But I guess that’s just how this Hell is; it’s another boring life, so just deal with it, it’s not even like you’re dead, you still have to use tampons (I don’t even want to imagine what tampons in hell would be like…). That being said, I look forward to Kame going under some serious character development.

Claire is a perfect bitch. She isn’t catty, she isn’t petty, she’s reasonable, and she’ll just tell it how it is. I appreciated the way Kame put it, how when Claire was alive she was just as bitchy, but in a fake high schooler way, whereas now she’s just saying what’s on her mind. All things considered, Claire is a pretty good Virgil-type character.

The boys, Marcus and Theo. We don’t really know much about these guys, but Marcus appears to be the guy that adjusted all-too-well to hell, and Theo kind of keeps him in line. I would definitely like to see more of them. Something else I noticed is that Marcus is drawn about 90% of the time with his teeth showing, while other characters talking (most of the time) you just see their lips. It’s an interesting character feature I think.

A couple interactions I want to touch on are the discussion about the wardens in the diner, Kame and Claire arguing over money, and the most current altercation between the Warden and creepy-shop-dude.
Let’s start with Kame and Claire arguing over what Kame should spend her hard-earned money on. I appreciated that even though this was clearly a parent-child sort of fight, it wasn’t handled like a bad episode of Seventh Heaven. Never once did I get the feeling that Kame was going to scream “You’re not my real mom!” and sob as she runs out crying. She does walk out on Claire, but how else to you leave an argument when you’re a teenager? This interaction not only reminds us that Kame is still an immature teenager, but that Claire has changed drastically from her former self.

When Kame sits down with Marcus and Theo (and eventually Claire, after some glaring from the Warden) and discuss what exactly the Wardens are, I got really excited. I wanted to know what the hell they were and what kind of system runs hell, and what exactly is the point of this anyway? Instead the crew just sort of muses on the subject and everyone had to go back to work. We’re on chapter 6 now, and I still am not really sure what else there is to hell besides working a greasy job. I’m not saying there needs to be a sit down session with the Rules of Hell, but I would think by now there would have been some more opportunities to show what’s going on. And where do the cigarettes come from?

Along those lines, I hope the current altercation between the Warden and the creepy-shop-dude leads to some more world-explanation. What sort of shifty junk is this dude up to?

Random bits that are I couldn't find a category title for:
    Point of View- Most of the time we are in the POV of Kame (or main characters around her), but there are 2 instances where it breaks and we get to hear what other no-name people are thinking. Once is when the Warder first shlorps Kame into the level of hell at the beginning, with the dude walking by, and the other time we hear from the disgruntled clerk. I'm pretty sure these weren't supposed to be read into, but Hell would be the kind of place where you would have to hear what everyone was thinking, and you had no privacy, but I'm probably thinking too much into it, lol
    Seventh Circle Flea Market- "Flea Market in Hell" Good band name. At first sight I was like, "I only remember the first level of hell in Inferno, I wonder if the 7th is Greed? That would make sense I guess," so I wiki'd it, and all I got was the seventh circle is violence. Maybe I just don't get the reference?

Plot/overall: I mostly covered this in the character blips, but I guess I’ll sum it up so this thing doesn’t run on forever >>
This comic effectively makes me care what’s going to happen to the characters, and has me understanding why these characters do what they do, but as a reader I need/want to know more about the world these they are in. I’m not even really sure that the end should be like? Is the goal to live out her sentence? Is it to escape? What happens after her 500 years?

And what the hell is this guy behind the counter, and why does he look like that? (pg 78) (I really hope the answer is that he's some sort of lesser clerk demon)
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:27 am

djracodex wrote:And what the hell is this guy behind the counter, and why does he look like that? (pg 78) (I really hope the answer is that he's some sort of lesser clerk demon)
That right there's Pom from the webcomic Reckless Youth. IV probably should've left a comment about it beneath the page so that it's slightly less bizarre.

Anyways, it's a really thorough review, and the longest in the thread so far. It's also got me more eager than ever to give Inhumation a read-through. :D
ImageImage
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby djracodex on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:
djracodex wrote:And what the hell is this guy behind the counter, and why does he look like that? (pg 78) (I really hope the answer is that he's some sort of lesser clerk demon)
That right there's Pom from the webcomic Reckless Youth. IV probably should've left a comment about it beneath the page so that it's slightly less bizarre.

Anyways, it's a really thorough review, and the longest in the thread so far. It's also got me more eager than ever to give Inhumation a read-through. :D

I didn't realize how long it got until I posted it! I just tried to cover the big things, and then I accidentally the whole thing D:
djracodex
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion