Webcomic Above You 2013 - Reviews & Discussion

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Webcomic Above You 2013 - Reviews & Discussion

Postby McDuffies on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:00 am

I don't think that I've been following Scooby rules.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:01 am

I don't think that Scooby has been following Scooby rules.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:48 am

McDuffies wrote:I don't think that Scooby has been following Scooby rules.

There are Scooby rules?

hmmm...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:43 am

Rule number 1: Be always hungry
Rule number 2: Be afraid of ghosts
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby djracodex on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:00 am

McDuffies wrote:Rule number 1: Be always hungry
Rule number 2: Be afraid of ghosts

Check and check. Scooby rules adhered to. Farting requirements have yet to be met
djracodex
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Are we just missing the two then?
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:12 am

I don't think that scooby has ever farted in an original series.

It's funny to imagine times when it wasn't thought that fart jokes were the pinnacle of children-oriented humor.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:23 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Are we just missing the two then?
It's been more than a month since the last placeholder, so I'm gonna close W.A.Y. 2013 and put the remaining reviews (Crux and Sub-Consensus) up for grabs. If anyone wants to review either of these comics, just post here that you wanna do it.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:53 am

man I don't even think I am good enough to review Crux
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Ooh I'll do Sub-Consensus if nobody minds.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Humbug on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:42 pm

I thought it was the other way around, Crux is not good enuf for reviews. XD
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 am

The only bad thing I can say about it is that there's not enough of it. Seriously, your artwork is on such a level beyond anything I can produce that it's a little intimidating to approach from a critical perspective.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby Humbug on Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Heheh, poke Net about the lack of pages. That's what I've been doing for the past few years. XP
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:02 am

>_>

Come draw for me, I got loads of pages. LOADS. Metric loads, which are ten times snootier and less sensible than imperial loads.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby Humbug on Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 am

I'm sure your fans love your style, and would hate if the art suddenly changed. :P

Also, I'm a little busy at the moment. >_>
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:53 am

Here goes with the review thing:

Sub-Consensus
by Antony Martin

The Site
The site content is pretty basic, having most of the standard pages - about, cast, gallery, episodes (archive?) - unfortunately many of the pages are essentially empty with placeholder text to let readers know what is going there in the future.
On the home page half the icons link to external sites such as his deviantART page, facebook and voting site. This is a little disappointing considering how sparce the actual site is.
These complaints aside, the site itself looks good, the art elements are clean and don't clutter the screen too much.
I am particularly fond of the animated cog/switches for navigation through the comic itself, it would be nice if this theme carried across to the main page as well.

The Writing
This comic is a spin-off to Antony's other comic Robot The Pirate, taking place inside the Robot's brain, represented as a library, where the characters of this comic are the individual aspects of Robot's personality. In the first episode we are introduced to five characters - Wisdom, Intelligence, Curiosity, Aggression and Secrets - who are supposed to embody those individual aspects but they don't really have their own individual voices, except for being the punchlines, characterization is mostly done via their appearance.
Wisdom and Intelligence seem to be the main characters here, but rather than embodying these personality traits they come across as the typical webcomic "buddies" bantering and likely to have "wacky" adventures in the future.
I say in the future because as it stands not much has happened, this first episode plays as an introductory chapter with the plot seeing Wisdom and Intelligence removing a pigeon from the library as well as the introduction of the mysterious Window.

The Art
It can be hard to properly judge minimalist art comics, there is a lack of the usual complex issues that one would normally look for such as anatomy and lighting.
It is a nice style and the characters are cute but it becomes bland very quickly. There is little noticeable line width variation and no shading making the whole comic look flat and two dimensional, all the characters appear on the same plane with no indication of size difference or position in the field of vision.
The main negative is the lack of variety in the art, these are quite obviously the same art elements being reused with only minor changes and limited expression and the background setting is unimaginative (although this makes sense in context).
One small unsettling thing is that when the characters' pupils move they have a visible edge as if they were cut away from their regular place at the front of the eyes, even with this minimal approach one would expect the pupils to be round.
Which leads to another of the comic's artistic shortcomings, the characters are only ever seen in side on profile making it awkward when more than two characters are on screen at once. The lack of any angle changes mixed with the flatness of the art does make me wonder if these characters are pieces of cardboard sliding past one another.

Final Thoughts
It is a nice comic but not overly memorable.
Which is a pity, because on an individual basis I like the art style but believe that it needs to be pushed further, just a little bit of line variance or shading to give some sense of volume and a few angles - face on, 3/4 view, etc - would make a large improvement to the visual elements.
I also like the concept behind the comic but as I said earlier it comes across more as a typical "buddy" comic, which isn't a bad thing but it doesn't quite meet up with the concept, a little more work is needed to make the characters stand out as individuals.
All said this comic is far from a lost cause, being very much in the early stages with plenty of potential to build off of.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Sortelli wrote:The only bad thing I can say about it is that there's not enough of it. Seriously, your artwork is on such a level beyond anything I can produce that it's a little intimidating to approach from a critical perspective.
I read Crux yesterday, and I'll give it a shot. I don't expect to have much to say about Humbug's artwork, either, but I'm more interested in Netpoet's take on the fantasy genre.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:36 pm

I'd be willing to critique Humbug's artwork, if she would like me to. Seems unfair that she would post her work for critique, but nobody would be willing to do her that service, specifically.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Humbug on Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm alright with it. :)
Humbug
Cartoon Hero

Postby Terotrous on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Gorgeous artwork + not that many pages and no one wants to do it? What's wrong with this site? That's reviewing gold right there!

I would participate but my new site isn't far enough along yet. Maybe next year.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion