Get your freak on 2014

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Get your freak on 2014

Postby Bustertheclown on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:11 pm

It's years old, but the Madeon remix of Yelle's "Que Veux-tu" is definitely the song that I'd listened to most in 2013. It's great, it's French, and the Nathan Barnatt dance video that goes along with it just makes me happy when I watch it.

The standards still apply for me. M83, Maps, Silversun Pickups, Arcade Fire, CocoRosie, Fleet Foxes, Of Monsters and Men, Hot Chip, etc., etc.

As for stuff that came out in 2013, I fell in love with The Head and the Heart's new album, Let's Be Still. I was thrilled with Blitzen Trapper's new album, VII. Frank Turner's Tape Deck Heart is pretty damned great, and so is Bob Schneider's Burden of Proof. Fitz and the Tantrums' More Than Just a Dream is lovely.

2013 was the year of the Pop Anthem for me. Try as I might to be cynical and exclusively hip about what I listened to, a big part of my soul seemed to need big-sounding, overproduced songs with simple, repetitive lyrics, that kind of brought me up in spirit, were easy to sing along with, and didn't dare to challenge me too much. If synths were included, it was a real winner for me. Capital Cities, OneRepublic, and Bastille all made my playlists. I fucking LOVE Ellie Goulding and Pink right now. I even find myself willingly singing along with Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson songs a lot.

I think maybe the Avicii/Aloe Blacc song, "Wake Me Up," is probably the most emblematic of what I'd been into over the last year. On the one side, there's the big, kinda garish, way-overcooked Avicii pop version, complete with, "young beautiful people just have it so hard!" video that kinda triggers my gag reflex in its terribleness, but has way over 200 million hits on Youtube never the less. And it's a pretty good song, really, shitty video not withstanding. I like Avicii, actually. He makes pop music that interests me -- "Levels" brings me great joy -- and this song had quite a lot of the elements that I like in music, generally: a soulful voice, lyrics that aren't brain-damagingly vapid, and a lot of dance beats. It was a melding of the electronic and the folk, both of which I gravitate toward. When I heard Aloe Blacc's acoustic version, though, it blew me out of the water. The recontextualization of it, complete with a video about real people and real struggle, is just beautiful in ways that Avicii's version just whitewashes over for mass consumption. I often find myself wondering why I'm listening to a lot of this musical fast food lately, and genuinely getting something out of it. I think it's because I've had it pretty rough for a while now, and it all kind of came crashing down on me, emotionally, this year. Sticking to music that constantly reminds me that the world is hard probably wasn't doing me any good, and I needed something softer to chew on.

Anyway, that's my thoughts about 2013. Don't know what's in store for 2014.

"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:29 am

So glad the thread title is finally accurate.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:53 am

That Pink song she made with fun. was pretty great. But none other to my knowing.
Get Lucky was also pretty great.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Previous

Return to General Discussion