Your Gaming Past/Pres/Futu

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Your Gaming Past/Pres/Futu

Postby spoonyliger on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:08 pm

- PAST -

Pokémon Colosseum (GameCube, 2004)
I'm the kinda guy who collects way too many video games, wants to play them all at least once, doesn't have much time to, so he's always behind on his gaming. Thus why I am currently playing Colosseum. I liked it. It was fun. Let's move on to Gale of Darkness.

Kingdom Hearts 3D (Nintendo 3DS, 2012)
Always been a big fan of the Kingdom Hearts series despite its wonky storyline, even though that's the major reason why I play the series. *shrug* Because of the hype it got I couldn't wait to get my hands on this title. Heck, I even got the expensive mega super boxed set edition. When I beat the game, I realized the story didn't impress me much and I was little let down by it. But I understand its purpose and why it exists, and that's why I'm not too mad about and going to play the newly unlocked harder mode (Critical Mode) when I have the time to.

- PRESENT -

Pokémon: Gale of Darkness (GameCube, 2005)
You know why I played Colosseum, this title is no different. Thankfully I am almost done with it. Heck, I might even be at a point where the next battle I'm having is the final one. That's why I am taking care of my team and prepping them for it.

Pokémon White Version 2 (Nintendo DS, 2012)
I was the 11th person to officially buy this game on pre-launch day. I started the game that same day. My girlfriend started playing its counterpart a week later and already beat it. I only have 6 badges. I've been sluggishly playing this game because, well, I save my handheld gaming for when I'm out and bored with nothing better to do and when I'm home I mostly play my home console. Make sense?

- FUTURE -

Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GameBoy Advance, 2004)
After playing Pokémon Gale of Darkness, I think I'll jump to this one. I started it last year but got stuck in one dungeon. I think I'll get back to it and see if I can figure it out. I remember having fun with this game.

Kingdom Hearts 3D (Nintendo 3DS, 2012)
I said earlier I'd tackle the Critical Mode, I think this would be a good time. I'm hoping to unlock some sort of secret ending footage. We'll see.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Re: Your Gaming Past/Pres/Futu

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:40 am

My future is going to be INSANE! I have so many games that I want, but that are kinda iffy on my current rig. I'm getting a new laptop for Christmas, though, so it is quite literally going to be GAME ON! in a couple of weeks.

So, let's see...

PAST:

TES III: Morrowind
I still play it once in awhile, but after seven years and hundreds of hours, in which I have completed the Main Quest, a lion's share of the side quests, and finished all of the expansions, as well as put a lot of time into modding, both building and using, I've since moved on.

TES IV: Oblivion
I would actually like to keep playing it. Even though I've put a few hundred hours into it over the course of the last five or so years, I'm only about halfway through the Main Quest line, and haven't done a whole lot with side quests, either. The reason for this is that I went insane with modding it, installing most of the major overhaul mods and a lot of content addition mods, which then caused me to just kinda start running around, exploring and looking for trouble. The reason why I don't play it as much anymore is that my computer just can't handle the processing power it takes to run it very well when it's all tricked out with 200 esp files attached, and it chugs along at a pretty low FPS. It'll be the first game I put on my new computer.

GTA: San Andreas
I'll probably go back to this again. I only ever got a third of the way into the story before I got distracted, but I do still love it.

Unreal Tournament 2004
The only shooter I can honestly say I really enjoy.

Civilization III, Galactic Civilizations II, and Heroes of Might and Magic IV
I have spent countless hours on turn-based strategy. These three, specifically, are some of my favorite games of all time, and they used to be my go-to time wasters, until I discovered Minecraft and Angry Birds.

PRESENT:

Minecraft
The thing I like about Minecraft is that you can just go into it, putter around for a bit, and leave. I went crazy with it over the summer, but I've cooled down with it a bit since starting back to school. I still play a few hours a week. It's still my go-to "I'm bored" game, and it's the only game I've ever enjoyed playing multiplayer since Everquest. So many projects! So much to explore! And the constant updates to content means new stuff to fiddle with every few months. It's almost too much!

Everquest
Speaking of Everquest... This is one of those games, like Morrowind, that I had moved away from over the years, but never fully left. However, since it recently went Free-to-Play, I visit Norrath a lot more often, and with 13(?) years of content to go through, there's always something new to explore. It's funny, though, because I love TES games because they give me an open world like MMORPGs do, without having to deal with other players. I kinda hate relying on other players for a good gaming experience. Since EQ is such an old game, though, it's kinda the best of both worlds, because the population is just not that huge, which means it feels like I have the whole world to myself most of the time, yet I can still pay attention to the chat chatter if I feel lonely.

Fallout 3
Nothing like exploding mutants with missile launchers! (At this point, I'm sure you're seeing a trend in my tastes. I love me some open-world gaming. For me, gaming is pretty much all about escapism.)

Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies
I love them. Don't you judge me. I do what I want!

Saints Row the Third
Just started this one up after getting it with the recent THQ Humble Bundle. It's a bit laggy on my computer, but the opening sequence was insane fun! I can't wait to play more.

Gran Turismo
Yes, the original. I have never stopped loving it. Thank Bob for ROMS.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Another oldie that I just love so much. I really love racing games, but I haven't found any recent entries that compare to the fun I have with NSF and GT, so I keep playing them.

FUTURE:

Here's where shit's about to get cray, dawg. My gaming habits move in cycles that tend to coincide with the gaming generation cycles. As each generation begins to wind down, that's when I seem to get most interested, and load down with enough games to keep myself occupied for at least three to five years. Considering that the open-world game has really come into its own with this current generation, it means that I have A LOT to choose from. And since most of these games have been out for years already, I can buy them at fair prices, meaning that, for a few hundred bucks, tops, I'll be set for the foreseeable future.

To save space, here's the shortlist of what I'm planning on sampling soon:

GTA IV
Batman: Arkham City

the various Assassin's Creed games
Bioshock
Farcry 1-3
Borderlands 1 & 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Dark Souls
Crysis 1 & 2
Mount & Blade
Dragon's Dogma
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Dragon's Age: Origins

I'm sure I'm missing a few. I'm also kinda sad that Red Dead Redemption will never have a PC port.

In addition to that list, the stuff I'm really looking forward to playing in the near future are:

Fallout: New Vegas
This is in my library already. I just decided not to play it until I got through Fallout 3, first.

TES V: Skyrim
I could probably have played it already, but I was still pretty deep into Oblivion when it came out. Plus, when it comes to TES games, I like to wait until all of the expansions have dropped and the modding community has had time to build up content. When it came out last year, I was very excited to see it, and spent hours watching people doing livestream plays of the game. Now that the Dragonborn DLC has been released, and it revisits Morrowind in part via Solstheim, I've gotten too excited to wait any longer.

Scribblenauts Unlimited
As Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies shows, I'm not afraid to get my cute on, and this game just looks like a ton of fun.

various LEGO games, but especially Lord of the Rings, Batman, and Harry Potter
Until the Lord of the Rings entry came out, I was able to ignore all of the praise, but now I don't have much of an excuse. I love LEGO, I love these particular franchises, and I hear these games are a lot of fun to play. So, I will play them.

Mass Effect I-III
I had been buried so deep within the TES universe for so long, the Mass Effect games have flown under my radar. However, now that the trilogy has been completed, I'm pretty excited to spend time playing through the entire narrative.

Dishonored
What can I say? I love Bethesda games. This one looks amazing.

Damn, this list is long. While writing it out, I came to the stark realization that I can't deny that I'm a gamer. I may be a weird gamer that can manage to delay gratification and sit on games for a long time before playing them, but I can't deny that gaming is now my primary form of entertainment, and has been for awhile. Even most of the programs I watch and listen to are gaming-oriented, like Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter let's plays and Game Front walkthrough videos and the Indoor Kids podcast (all of which have just further stoked my interest in gaming over the last year.) But, y'know, I guess I can live with that, really. It's fun.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 am

Past
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - The game's not terrible, but mostly it just makes me nostalgic for older, better Zelda games. Still haven't beaten it because see below.

LoZ: Twilight Princess - Went back and replayed most of the way through it because see above

Present
LoZ: Majora's Mask - See above.

Future
LoZ: Wind Waker - See above. Then maybe I'll actually finish Skyward Sword.

Also, if they ever release any of the promised Ace Attorney games, gonna get those.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 am

I've barely done any vidya gaming since I started drawing again around August. There's just not really enough time left in the day for it. Occasionally I'll scratch my itch to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Angry Birds, though.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:38 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:I've barely done any vidya gaming since I started drawing again around August. There's just not really enough time left in the day for it. Occasionally I'll scratch my itch to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Angry Birds, though.
I hear ya. I'm always trying to manage the four things I care about the most in my life:

- Moon Crest 24
- Girlfriend
- Gaming
- Day-job

Thankfully I'm lucky enough to be able to mix Girlfriend and Gaming together... half of the time.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

PASTPRESFUTU....Mario RPGs in all around I see....

Postby Cope on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:35 am

Past

I dunno, how far back are we talking? I recently played Halo 4 and almost finished Sonic Adventure 2 (fuck you, Biolizard!). I also finally got a Wii in April, so I've played a lot of Virtual Console this year, including Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario....which lead to me hunting down copies of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time.

Present

Playing through Ocarina of Time 3D's master quest. Why was the water temple so easy? That doesn't make sense!

Future

Probably gonna pick up Assassin's Creed III and Paper Mario: Sticker Star in the after-Christmas sales.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: PASTPRESFUTU....Mario RPGs in all around I see....

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Cope wrote:Playing through Ocarina of Time 3D's master quest. Why was the water temple so easy? That doesn't make sense!

Everyone complains about how hard the water temple was. My girlfriend won't shut up about it. Yet, I had a great time with that dungeon. I haven't tried the Master Quest version yet though.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:56 pm

The benefit I have is that art is my job, so I get to draw and paint, and still have time for pastimes and hobbies.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Bustertheclown wrote:The benefit I have is that art is my job, so I get to draw and paint, and still have time for pastimes and hobbies.

Oh, cool. Where do you work?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

also shut up screwattack hydrocity zone is the best

Postby Cope on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 pm

spoonyliger wrote:
Cope wrote:Playing through Ocarina of Time 3D's master quest. Why was the water temple so easy? That doesn't make sense!

Everyone complains about how hard the water temple was. My girlfriend won't shut up about it. Yet, I had a great time with that dungeon. I haven't tried the Master Quest version yet though.

Yeah, I've never really had a huge problem with Zelda's water dungeons like everyone else seems to.
Image Image
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 pm

spoonyliger wrote:
Bustertheclown wrote:The benefit I have is that art is my job, so I get to draw and paint, and still have time for pastimes and hobbies.

Oh, cool. Where do you work?

I'm a studio artist, so I'm self-employed. It means that I'm too broke to buy games most of the time, and that's one of the reasons why I have put hundreds of hours into a few games over the course of years. It's about wringing out as much value from my $19.99 (since I never buy just-released games) as possible. I've gone back to school recently, though, because I want to be a teacher.

Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Re: PASTPRESFUTU....Mario RPGs in all around I see....

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Cope wrote:Sonic Adventure 2 (fuck you, Biolizard

Apparently my girlfriend lost her memory card which had some crazy special Chao. I remember she had an invisible one and the only reason she could see it is because she gave it a skull to wear. Besides that she also had... Crystal Chao? Blood Chao... idk, she spent so much time breeding she ended up with all crazy Chao possible. I hope she finds the damn memory card. I can totally relate to so many hours of progress lost just like that.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby Terotrous on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:59 pm

The amount of games I play far exceeds what one can realistically put into one post or one thread. According to my backloggery, I beat about 60 games this year (unfortunately, I bought about twice that number). I beat 3 games within the past two days, Professor Layton and the Last Specter, Batman: Return of the Joker, and Mega Man 1 for Game Boy.

At some point, I plan to get to the second .hack/GU game and Final Fantasy XII on PS2, but I have to finish Kingdom Hearts 2 first.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:35 am

I ended up zipping through Super Mario World again over this past week. 20 years later, it still holds up really well.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:31 am

LibertyCabbage wrote:I ended up zipping through Super Mario World again over this past week. 20 years later, it still holds up really well.

Question is, how would it hold up with today's kids.

I wonder what it's like to grow up in the 2010's. Specially in the gaming sense.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Children are terrible.

Postby Cope on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 am

In 2030, all the kids of today will be whinging about how all the new games suck and saying that they just don't make them like Call of Duty any more.
Image Image
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 am

Games will be an old, respected, dying art, all the cool kids will be into holograms.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:48 am

IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:43 pm

IVstudios wrote:You might not be far off.

Let's see... I knew about the Invisibility Cloak and I sort of know how it works. I've also watched a documentary on the spray-on skin (good for burn victims). I saw the promo video for the Google Goggles. That one's something. Who doesn't know about eye-implants for the blind. Wow... @Microsoft Holo-deck.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Yeah like I'm gonna let microsoft implant something in my body in forseeable future... :roll:
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Next

Return to General Discussion