You and Other CG Forums

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: You and Other CG Forums

Postby robotthepirate on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 am

McDuffies wrote:
chainmailbikini wrote:Forums are less popular than semaphore? Hmm, that's a good point. But I hear FB is starting to crack down on multiple accounts and I hear their business sites are kinda garbage unless you give them some monies, which I can't really blame them for, but I'm not rolling in mad stacks of famous web comic dough either atm... am I derailing this thread? I'm terrible at staying on topic.

I'm hearing that too, but there's good several years before it actually becomes useless, and then something new will come to replace it.
Thing is, forums are in most cases very disappointing experience. It appears that even a huge following isn't a guarantee that your forum will liven up. One has to be savvy in marketing his forum in the same way he has to know how to market his comic, you gotta put at least as much effort in advertising your forum and keeping it an interesting place to visit. In other words, lots of work.
Comments under the comics seem to be a big deal nowadays. These days people are used to being able to leave a comment on anything they see, and communities get formed there too.

My site has a link saying "Forum", it links to here. I figure if I ever generate enough interest to have my own forum I'll get one but until then... 1) it looks good to have a link saying "forum", 2) people could technically find me and talk about RTP on here if they wanted to (I doubt the volume of discussion would actually get in the way) 3) we might get a few more posters here from it.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby peterabnny on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 am

robotthepirate wrote:
My site has a link saying "Forum", it links to here. I figure if I ever generate enough interest to have my own forum I'll get one but until then... 1) it looks good to have a link saying "forum", 2) people could technically find me and talk about RTP on here if they wanted to (I doubt the volume of discussion would actually get in the way) 3) we might get a few more posters here from it.

I looked for it (I was curious and had thought about posting some bit of sillines), but couldn't find it. So, I liked you on FB instead. :)
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:50 am

Mo wrote:Bah, Off Topic lost its charm when y'all got rid of the Junk.

Man, the ridiculous things we used to go to the mat for.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Re: THAT'S IT I'M LOCKING THIS FORUM

Postby Kisai on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:49 am

Cope wrote:
McDuffies wrote:*Message board requests - if CG isn't giving away new forums, is there a reason for this section? Since it's a spam magnet, it could at least be temporarily locked until/if they start giving forums again.

I remember Kisai saying a while back that we'd reached the maximum number of forums allowed by phpBB. So yeah, lock it and throw away the key.

Almost correct. I'm not sure if the problem has been resolved yet, as I haven't personally tried to create any more forums in years. Back when we stopped doing it, it was because it literately timed out every time the full forum list was generated, be it the front page, jumpbox or the drop-down used in administrating the forum(which is why we couldn't ADD any more)

Hmm... it's not timing out, but it is slow, so it's probably not worth adding.

BTW guys, you can use Disqus on your comics. That gives you the ability to use twitter, and stuff to single-sign-in and post comments on the page. The comments are stored at Disqus and not here, and is more spam-resilient.

Your other option is to embed a facebook page.

We've do both of these on keenspot. Livejournal is dead for embedding. It's also in theory possible to embed a Tumblr but only one person has ever bothered trying as far as I know.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Previous

Return to General Discussion