You and Other CG Forums

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

You and Other CG Forums

Postby spoonyliger on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:33 am

So, I've pretty much just been hanging around in the GD most of my time here. I used to lurk in the Help forums a lot back when I started, obviously. Recently I've tried my hand at the KEENime forums but it's been pretty dead anyways. I haven't had much interest in anything else around here. Seems like most of the action happens here, no?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Re: You and Other CG Forums

Postby IVstudios on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:35 am

There's some goings on in TTT as well. But yeah, GD is where the party is.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Spaceprincess on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:46 am

The OT forum used be where the cool kids would smoke while ditching class but for some strange reason nobody posts there anymore.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 am

I just check New Posts when I come here. I don't look at the individual forums because there's so little activity I might as well just see what's the newest posts.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby peterabnny on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 am

It's safer in GD. TT&T is okay during the day, but I try to stay outta that neighborhood after dark.
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 am

Obviously, I check new activity in all forums for spam, but I only ever find anything useful to say in GD and TT&T (or as it's popularly called from now on, "titties").
When OT was alive, most of action was there, and GD was empty. Other forums were pretty much as active as now. There are some that really should go down the drain:
*Message board requests - if CG isn't giving away new forums, is there a reason for this section? Since it's a spam magnet, it could at least be temporarily locked until/if they start giving forums again.
*Cartoonist's choice awards - I don't think they are giving this award anymore, or am I mistaken? If they aren't, what's the point again?
*Community get-togethers - It used to have a point but nowadays whoever is planning something, is gonna repost it to GD anyway, otherwise noone'll see their post.
*Dropdowns and crossovers - this forum was never really any useful to begin with.
*Keenime, Forum Games - It's not like these forums couldn't be active, it's just that they haven't been for a very, very long time. They were made back when activity here was so huge that it made sense to separate some content into different section. Nowadays, even if you want to dedicate a thread to "Say something about the next poster", noone will complain about it being in GD
So that leaves GD and titties, Help is of course kinda the whole point of the forum, and Pitching gets some activity from time to time. You can as well browse through Archives too, if you want to read some funny stuff.

I wonder, though, if there's any significant activity in any of the individual comic forums.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am

McDuffies wrote:You can as well browse through Archives too, if you want to read some funny stuff.

We should have a Hall of "Fame" topic for all those classics.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Toxic on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 am

Spaceprincess wrote:The OT forum used be where the cool kids would smoke while ditching class but for some strange reason nobody posts there anymore.

Off Topic got locked up and all the windows boarded up. I heard it's haunted now.
Toxic
Faster Pussycat

Postby Ahaugen on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Toxic wrote:
Spaceprincess wrote:The OT forum used be where the cool kids would smoke while ditching class but for some strange reason nobody posts there anymore.

Off Topic got locked up and all the windows boarded up. I heard it's haunted now.

I spent a night in Off Topic on a bet once.

The wailing of the unfinished Jams kept me up all night.
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero

Location: Chasing leads, reporating news, and opining editorally

Postby Terotrous on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I miss off-topic. It was so... not on topic.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

THAT'S IT I'M LOCKING THIS FORUM

Postby Cope on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:35 am

McDuffies wrote:*Message board requests - if CG isn't giving away new forums, is there a reason for this section? Since it's a spam magnet, it could at least be temporarily locked until/if they start giving forums again.

I remember Kisai saying a while back that we'd reached the maximum number of forums allowed by phpBB. So yeah, lock it and throw away the key.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Did we even have a topic to be on?

Postby Spaceprincess on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:29 am

Terotrous wrote:I miss off-topic. It was so... not on topic.

That was its charm. In depth discussions of random nonsense.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby chainmailbikini on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:37 am

And I was so looking forward to the day when I had enough posts to request my own forum. Anyone know of any good free forum providers?
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

The PHP code, it's everywhere! D:

Postby IVstudios on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:44 am

Well Cornstalkers could always use…

Oh wait… Never mind. :shifty:
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:52 am

chainmailbikini wrote:And I was so looking forward to the day when I had enough posts to request my own forum. Anyone know of any good free forum providers?

I know this is not an answer to your question, but individual comic forums have always been notoriously hard to get a decent following, specially now that they're the least popular kind of socializing. A facebook group would be of much more use.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby chainmailbikini on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 pm

McDuffies wrote:
chainmailbikini wrote:And I was so looking forward to the day when I had enough posts to request my own forum. Anyone know of any good free forum providers?

I know this is not an answer to your question, but individual comic forums have always been notoriously hard to get a decent following, specially now that they're the least popular kind of socializing. A facebook group would be of much more use.

Forums are less popular than semaphore? Hmm, that's a good point. But I hear FB is starting to crack down on multiple accounts and I hear their business sites are kinda garbage unless you give them some monies, which I can't really blame them for, but I'm not rolling in mad stacks of famous web comic dough either atm... am I derailing this thread? I'm terrible at staying on topic.
chainmailbikini
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:16 am

chainmailbikini wrote:Forums are less popular than semaphore? Hmm, that's a good point. But I hear FB is starting to crack down on multiple accounts and I hear their business sites are kinda garbage unless you give them some monies, which I can't really blame them for, but I'm not rolling in mad stacks of famous web comic dough either atm... am I derailing this thread? I'm terrible at staying on topic.

I'm hearing that too, but there's good several years before it actually becomes useless, and then something new will come to replace it.
Thing is, forums are in most cases very disappointing experience. It appears that even a huge following isn't a guarantee that your forum will liven up. One has to be savvy in marketing his forum in the same way he has to know how to market his comic, you gotta put at least as much effort in advertising your forum and keeping it an interesting place to visit. In other words, lots of work.
Comments under the comics seem to be a big deal nowadays. These days people are used to being able to leave a comment on anything they see, and communities get formed there too.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:03 am

this is a decent cross reference for social network marketing.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Mo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:11 am

Bah, Off Topic lost its charm when y'all got rid of the Junk.
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby McDuffies on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:58 pm

But... we were deeply offended by it's insidious insinuations!
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Next

Return to General Discussion