How does this webcomic thing work, again?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: How does this webcomic thing work, again?

Postby spoonyliger on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:12 am

I started Moon Crest 24 back in the summer of 2008. It was just when I had decided to quit college and work on a comic book which is what I've always wanted to do with my life. I had been looking for free ways to get my art out there. I already had a DeviantART account but it wasn't quite what I wanted for my comic. That's when I heard about Webcomic Hosting. So I joined with SmackJeeves and ComicGenesis and run my first few chapters on there until I decided SmackJeeves was a little awkward for me and running the same comic on two hosts was too much work and maybe even confusing to my readers.

At first, I didn't have a job and was living with my parents so I had a lot of time to do 20-page chapters and upload them every month, one page a day. I would always warn my readers in the News section about upcoming chapters, and I still do. Later on, I went on hiatus, then came back, redesigned the site layout and today it looks amazing. At least for me. I was very proud of myself. Hm... today my mom was complaining about how I don't have pride in my work... anyways, that doesn't matter.

Eventually I found a job so I had less time to work on the comic so I wasn't able to do 20-page chapters every month. I would only upload whenever the chapters were ready, and of course, always warn the readers when to expect them.

Today the situation is still the same. Still living in the parent's apartment, sharing a room with my brother, going to work, working on comic, chillin' with girlfriend, uploading 20-page chapters when they're ready and going to comic/anime/manga conventions to sell fan art prints with a corner of my table dedicate to the comic.

Ah yes, I also have my comic printed out into volume which I sell at cons. Usually they sell every two or three cons I go to and when I do sell them it's like, only one copy of Vol 1 and 2 that sell.

In terms of uploading my pages, like I said I do one page a day, 20-ish pages (per chapter) per month. There might've been a few times where I'd batch upload just for the hell of it but I didn't have Analytics at the time so I never found out what it was doing to my readership. My last few chapters have been uploaded a page a day, but I've always had a little tiny thought in my head wondering if that would be annoying for my readers because it might confuse them. It's not like I've ever told them that's how I upload chapters. I don't feel like I should tell them anything either so I don't restrict myself to just that, but I'm thinking about batch uploading and how it might be better that way. I'll be doing one next month and keeping an eye out for the Analytics.

Yeahduff wrote:If you're not creating pages to stand alone, you shouldn't be publishing them that way.

If I wasn't dedicating my whole signature space to just my comic, I'd put this quote there.

I do plan to make money off my comic to support myself, specially since I just found a room I can rent, so increasing readership is important to me. Unfortunately, my comic isn't a gag a day (sometimes it doesn't even have a gag!) and my readership has been sort of sporadic over the years, but mostly around the 3 to 4 visits a day. However, it is my vision to see this comic's story to its climax and boy do I have a bunch of ideas in mind. I get chills when I think about them. But just because I think my ideas are great, doesn't mean the rest of the internet or the world (yes, sometimes they're not exactly as one) also think so. But it's what I want to do, it's what makes me happy and fulfilled as a person and what keeps me bound to my childhood dreams. I'll have a hard time forgiving myself if I ever forget about my dreams. I just wish my parents would understand that.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby Yeahduff on Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:48 am

Was enjoying this discussion. Sorry for wandering away for while there.

McDuffies wrote:
Wouldn't say getting hits is trivial to me, but it's more important to present my work in the way I want. Apparently you feel similarly.

Well in a way, we are jaded, somewhat disappointed webcomic veterans.

Lord knows that's true.

McDuffies wrote:We also know what we want, we tried something and it didn't quite work for us, so thanks to that, now we know exactly what we want. So it's easy for us to talk.

Yeah, I suppose. I guess the one thing is that I never read webcomics until I had one. I made my comic fit into the webcomic format because that's what was done. Don't get me wrong: It's not like I had a firm idea of what I wanted to do at the time and who knows how much a go of it I would've made if I wasn't just focusing on the next page and little further than that. But a lot of my regrets looking back on my work spring from this format that just wasn't for me. I dunno.

Far from saying that everyone should do it the same way, I just think that if webcomics were ever to be considered as notable art medium, it's a good general trend to utilize what the medium is capable of. If cinema was still stuck with one-camera word-by-word reciting of popular theatre pieces, would it have been the great art of 20th century?

Sure, but I don't need Woody Allen to use a bunch of CGI. Everyone's gotta do what they gotta do.

(it'll probably be another 8:1, for the record)

Changed my mind.

Let me say that it's much easier to have integrity when you don't expect your comic to be your meal ticket. I have the luxury of doing whatever the hell I want because the audience I bring in doesn't actually have much impact on my livelihood.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:47 am

spoonyliger wrote:I started Moon Crest 24 back in the summer of 2008. It was just when I had decided to quit college and work on a comic book which is what I've always wanted to do with my life. I had been looking for free ways to get my art out there. I already had a DeviantART account but it wasn't quite what I wanted for my comic. That's when I heard about Webcomic Hosting. So I joined with SmackJeeves and ComicGenesis and run my first few chapters on there until I decided SmackJeeves was a little awkward for me and running the same comic on two hosts was too much work and maybe even confusing to my readers.

Have you tried breaking into printed comics? My impression is, if you're really into doing this professionally, trying through webcomics is too much of a gamble.

Sure, but I don't need Woody Allen to use a bunch of CGI. Everyone's gotta do what they gotta do.

Not sure I follow.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Yeahduff on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am

I guess not every tool is worth using? I dunno, I didn't sleep much last night.
Yeahduff

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:12 am

I guess not every tool is worth using?

Hm... but you gotta use the tool that is best for the job, right? You can use an ordinary mullet to break the cement, but pneumatic hammer still does the job better.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:40 am

McDuffies wrote: You can use an ordinary mullet to break the cement

Whoa! That's taking headbanging to the extreme...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm

I guess I was thinking of mallet.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Bustertheclown on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Yeahduff wrote:*New banner in signature.*

A new issue of Eight to One? YES!

(And I didn't even have to keep coming back every day to check for new material)
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:06 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:
McDuffies wrote: You can use an ordinary mullet to break the cement

Whoa! That's taking headbanging to the extreme...

LOL
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:50 pm

McDuffies wrote:
I guess not every tool is worth using?

Hm... but you gotta use the tool that is best for the job, right? You can use an ordinary mullet to break the cement, but pneumatic hammer still does the job better.

I guess you gotta figure out whether your breaking cement or looking like an asshole.
Yeahduff

Postby Bustertheclown on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:15 am

Mark my words: mullets are on their way back, and not in an ironic way.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to General Discussion