NY Comic Con 2012

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

NY Comic Con 2012

Postby IVstudios on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07 am

I need to get on this whole "self promotion" thing, and I'm looking into renting a booth at the upcoming NY Comic Con in October. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in splitting a table. It's kind of expensive, but splitting it 3 or 4 ways should be pretty doable. If anyone is interested please email or PM me.

I know that Comic Con is kind of jumping into the deep end, and I'll definitely be looking into smaller, more reasonable cons too, but this is the closest one to where I am and is a good amount of time away to get it done right so I might as well give it a shot! :D (I have worked at a table there in the past, so I'm not completely unqualified to try this.)
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Re: NY Comic Con 2012

Postby Bustertheclown on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:56 pm

As far as jumping into a big con with both feet goes, I say go for it. New York is far too far away for me to join in, but it would definitely be a great experience. My first table was at the Emerald City Comic Con, which is the biggest con in the Northwest U.S., and probably third biggest on the West Coast, behind San Diego and the APE. I got some friends to share with me (you definitely don't want to man a table alone, for various reasons) and it was a lot of fun. We did make some cash, but after book printing costs and table fees and whatnot, I was far from breaking even. Plus, I was sleep-deprived. It was great fun, though, and I got to meet Jhonen Vasquez and talk to Phil Foglio, and missed seeing Jim Woodring at the Fantagraphics table next to us, because I went to stretch my legs. Just remember not to go in expecting to make any money. Treat it like a promotional opportunity, and a fun experience, rather than a sales opportunity, and you should be fine.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby IVstudios on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:06 am

Oh yeah no, I don't expect to make enough to cover the costs. If I make enough to cover food that would be an upset.

I want to do it because it seems like a lot of fun.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Hmm... me and my girlfriend might be interested. We got a NYAF table last year, but this time they're not having it anymore I hear, so people are stuck with the expensive Comic Con Artist Alley tables. Let me just ask you a few questions:

I tried looking on their website and at first glance into their Exhibitor Info page I didn't see anything. But do you know how much is each AA table?

Can we consider a Dealer's table instead of an Artist one? It could be cheaper, idk. I can't really check too well at the time of writing this post.

Would you be going for all con days?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby K-Dawg on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:48 pm

IVstudios wrote:Oh yeah no, I don't expect to make enough to cover the costs. If I make enough to cover food that would be an upset.

If I ever become rich and powerful you'll be sure I won't have a table with you sir. :D

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby IVstudios on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 pm

spoonyliger wrote:Hmm... me and my girlfriend might be interested. We got a NYAF table last year, but this time they're not having it anymore I hear, so people are stuck with the expensive Comic Con Artist Alley tables. Let me just ask you a few questions:

I tried looking on their website and at first glance into their Exhibitor Info page I didn't see anything. But do you know how much is each AA table?

Can we consider a Dealer's table instead of an Artist one? It could be cheaper, idk. I can't really check too well at the time of writing this post.

Would you be going for all con days?

The info is only available by request. The only thing really in my price range are the smallest dealer booths, which are just under $1,000 each. And yes, I would be planning on doing all days.

Edit: Also, I need a commitment fairly soon because the booths are going fast.

K-Dawg wrote:
IVstudios wrote:Oh yeah no, I don't expect to make enough to cover the costs. If I make enough to cover food that would be an upset.

If I ever become rich and powerful you'll be sure I won't have a table with you sir. :D

I'll rent a table right across from your table and steal all your fans and throw mushrooms at you! :x
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:39 pm

IVstudios wrote:The info is only available by request. The only thing really in my price range are the smallest dealer booths, which are just under $1,000 each. And yes, I would be planning on doing all days.

Edit: Also, I need a commitment fairly soon because the booths are going fast.

Eesh... Under $1000 each? What's it over then? If it's $1000, three people would be around $333. Hmm, if two people shared each table, how many could we fit at max in one booth?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby IVstudios on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Those booths are 6' x 8' (48' square) So you could probably get 4 people in there. If it's the same size as the one I worked in the past (Which I think it was) you can squeeze 4 people, a table, chairs and signs in there pretty easily.

But you'll also have to factor the cost of food, travel, lodging (My Apt is close enough to a train station that some people could crash here and take the train into the city) and materials to distribute. I'm looking to spend in the area of $500 - $700.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Awww man, this sounds like a lot of fun and it wouldn't be that far out of the way for me, but I don't think I can afford to go, even if it is split well amongst people (since like you said lodging and food and so forth).

I expect to see lots of pictures though :D
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Okay, I just checked with my girl. She doesn't seem very confident about the Art scene at Comic Con this year. I'm sorry to tell you, but it seems I'm out.

You've never had an Artist Alley table before, IV?
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby IVstudios on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:57 am

Aww :(

I don't blame you thought, it's a pretty expensive thing to get into. I'll be looking into cheeper con's too.

Also: No, I've never done an artist table. I worked at a table to promote a musical version of The Toxic Avenger at my old job, but that's it.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby spoonyliger on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 am

IVstudios wrote:Aww :(

I don't blame you thought, it's a pretty expensive thing to get into. I'll be looking into cheeper con's too.

Well, this year it's pretty expensive, only because the only option is the Comic Con AA. In fact, I heard from someone that the Comic Con Artist (dammit, everytime I want to type that word I end up typing Artits, anyways...) Alley staff actually check your portfolio to decide if you're worth giving a table to. Just a rumor.

The Anime Fest AA last year, the tables were $250 each. Since I shared with my girl, the cost was cut in half of course. I was able to sell quite a lot though. I think I made about $300 that weekend.

IVstudios wrote:Also: No, I've never done an artist table. I worked at a table to promote a musical version of The Toxic Avenger at my old job, but that's it.

Oh, you should definitely try some to promote your comic. But do realize something, without tons of Animu fan arts to sell, you're not going to make that much. Here's the amount of fan art I have available to sell:

http://www.etsy.com/search/?search_subm ... ship_to=US

As you can see, there's a good variety. However, that fanart is pretty old, ranging from 2008-2010. Now I have a day job, which means less time to focus on fan art, so now I've just been focusing my free time on my comic book mostly... and lots of video game playing.

So eventually I'll run out of fan art prints to sell, hopefully, and my side of the table will be 100% Moon Crest 24 paperbacks, prints, keychains, pins/buttons, biz cards whatever else I find time to make.

I've done quite a few AA's. Been going to them since '08 and my favorite one so far is CPAC in Hoboken, NJ. Though this year's been pretty shameful in terms of sales. SpringFestNY in Brooklyn (my second year there) was a disaster, MangaNext (from the creators of AnimeNext) was another floop, and CPAC wasn't too bad this year, but compared to past years, I didn't make that much.

I do have my comics out on the table of course, but the most I've sold is about one comic per 2.5 cons. lol

I'm going to Tosho-Con in August - it's a one-day con with a free Artist Alley. It takes place in a library.

Also, I run an Artist Alley-ish exhibit during the summer every year where I work - The Warner Library. The event is called Young Artists Exhibit and we do it every year. We just did our third one last weekend actually. The exhibit is for participants between the ages of 13 and 25, but I don't think we're enforcing the age limit that much. idk how old you are, but if you're interested you could try next year. It runs exactly like an Artist Alley with tables set up around a perimeter and the admission is free for both participants and spectators. Usually we do it on our front lawn for people passing by to just come and look, but since it rained this year, we went inside. We usually don't really get that many visitors, but I believe we've been growing more popular. This year we got a good number of visitors anyways. We do advertise as much as we can. In terms of selling your stuff, we leave that up to your discretion. Here's some photos of our past exhibits:

http://www.warnerlibrary.org/photos

So, yea... I think that's all the info I can help with for now.
Oh, there's this website that lists Anime cons and dots them in a map for you, that's how I find most of the cons go to - http://animecons.com/

So there ya go.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby K-Dawg on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:34 pm

IVstudios wrote:Aww :(

Also: No, I've never done an artist table. I worked at a table to promote a musical version of The Toxic Avenger at my old job, but that's it.

Go up north you fool. Canadian monopoly money!

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby IVstudios on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 pm

You only want me to come up there so you can hurl insults at my penis in person, instead over the internet. :x
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I'd go to Canada to watch K-Dawg hurl insults or anything else at IV's penis in person, and then on the internet through the magic of youTube.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Return to General Discussion