Your summer bargains

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Your summer bargains

Postby Metal_Solstice on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:58 pm

It is summer, and (at least for me) that means YARD SALES!!! Fancy that!
I seem to have epic luck, such as getting a vintage stereo system for a grand total of $ 1-erm- I need to invest an additional $10.75 for a new needle for the record player, if I ever get Paypal working, but considering the record player alone goes for $250 on ebay...

Anyway, what sort of bargains do you find during the summer? Dinosaur bones? Ancient treasure chests? Computers from 1980? Sausage? Godzilla?
Metal_Solstice

Re: Your summer bargains

Postby Laemkral on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:20 pm

I find that Father's Day is a good time to buy new clothes, and that I'm glad Anheuser-Busch owns Busch Gardens and Sea World because they give free entrance to military members once a year per park. Does mean lousy beer though....

That's about it, I don't really do the yard sale/bargain hunting thing.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Yeahduff on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Been on the sellin end of things this year. Got rid of a bunch of junk and got 75 bucks for my effort.

My homegirl picked up a sweet coffee table with a good sized globe in the center of it though. Not sure what she paid for it.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 am

I wanna buy cheap instruments on yard sales, but there aren't any, sigh. Well, there's still flee market.
(I did buy a trumpet in online auction, but I can't blow to save my life)
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:31 am

I picked up a few (obviously bootlegged) DVDs and a bakugan (because I am a child who is amused by simple things) at a yard sale the other week. Other than that it's been pretty slim pickings this year.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:36 am

I wish I was more thrifty like that...
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Metal_Solstice on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:49 am

McDuffies wrote:(I did buy a trumpet in online auction, but I can't blow to save my life)

I used to play the trombone, and the method to blow is fairly similar to a trumpet. It's like blowing a raspberry using only your lips (essentially pursing your lips together and forcing air through them, creating a "Phbt!" sound).

IVstudios wrote: I am a child who is amused by simple things

Me too. It seems like what I buy is what I've always dreamed of having when I was little, like roller blades. Then there's all the fun stuff I find at the local Goodwill -and by local I mean about 40 miles away :o
Metal_Solstice

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Metal_Solstice wrote:I used to play the trombone, and the method to blow is fairly similar to a trumpet. It's like blowing a raspberry using only your lips (essentially pursing your lips together and forcing air through them, creating a "Phbt!" sound).

And you also have to be able to apply different pressure so that you can produce different pitches, and also to do it reliably. That's the harder part.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby kishmartine on Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Vintage! nice!

Last edited by kishmartine on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kishmartine

Postby Warren on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 am

Metal_Solstice wrote:Then there's all the fun stuff I find at the local Goodwill -and by local I mean about 40 miles away :o
Man, I haven't been to a Goodwill in ages. These days I feel bad about buying some stuff that other people actually need.

Not that they would need Atari cartridges. I'd still buy those in a heartbeat.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 am

What you do with them?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:41 am

McDuffies wrote:
Metal_Solstice wrote:I used to play the trombone, and the method to blow is fairly similar to a trumpet. It's like blowing a raspberry using only your lips (essentially pursing your lips together and forcing air through them, creating a "Phbt!" sound).

And you also have to be able to apply different pressure so that you can produce different pitches, and also to do it reliably. That's the harder part.

That tends to more of a jazz thing, trying to experiment beyond the treble clef. Pitch variation can accent your notes, but its like any instrument, and falls more into music theory than say classical notation. But if you want to play some awesome stuff its definitely a good thing to get into, down the line. I played trumpet for a while.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby spoonyliger on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:18 pm

I've been more-or-less a Yard Sale fanatic for the past few years. Mainly I look for Pokemon cards and video games, or anything anime/manga really. Last year I scored myself about 5000 Pokemon cards in about $100. I also bought Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask cartirdges for the N64, and Link's Awakening for GameBoy - all of them were working just fine thankfully. And, I'm glad that Majora's Mask game didn't have a BEN file in it. I also got four golden Superman cards in a blue frame for $10.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to visit yard sales this year, and the few ones I did visit didn't have anything of my interest.
Image Image
spoonyliger
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Phact0rri wrote:
McDuffies wrote:

That tends to more of a jazz thing, trying to experiment beyond the treble clef. Pitch variation can accent your notes, but its like any instrument, and falls more into music theory than say classical notation. But if you want to play some awesome stuff its definitely a good thing to get into, down the line. I played trumpet for a while.

I think there's a misunderstanding, because what I was saying was that you had to be able to play more than one note.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby peterabnny on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:53 am

We're in the market for a new couch. I saw one that was wrapped in plastic and had a big "BB" painted in black letters on it. BB means Best Buy, right?
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Postby Shucking Oysters on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 am

peterabnny wrote:We're in the market for a new couch. I saw one that was wrapped in plastic and had a big "BB" painted in black letters on it. BB means Best Buy, right?

No, it clearly stands for B.B. King. You should buy his out couch and sell it on E-bay. I'm sure you'll make a mint.
Shucking Oysters
Regular Poster

Postby peterabnny on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Shucking Oysters wrote:
peterabnny wrote:We're in the market for a new couch. I saw one that was wrapped in plastic and had a big "BB" painted in black letters on it. BB means Best Buy, right?

No, it clearly stands for B.B. King. You should buy his out couch and sell it on E-bay. I'm sure you'll make a mint.

SWEEEEET!! I'm on it, then! Unless, that is, I wanna keep it myself...
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

Return to General Discussion