Twokinds raised $200k on Kickstarter

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Twokinds raised $200k on Kickstarter

Postby Terotrous on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:36 am

I thought this was somewhat relevant as Twokinds is a Webcomic and it actually started on Keenspace (holy crap, I remember when the creator first posted here asking for impressions of his comic. I'm so old.).

Anyway, Twokinds was doing a Kickstarter campaign for printed copies of their books and raised a staggering $200k. They actually made their initial $25k in one day. I guess there may actually be more money in relatively successful comics than people thought.

In case you're not aware, Kickstarter essentially allows you to pledge money towards a goal (book printing, in this case), where your money doesn't donated get "spent" unless the project succeeds. You also usually pledge your money towards some kind of reward, in this case the books and various other goodies, so in some ways it's a glorified way to preorder something where the creator gets your money up front.

I thought it was kind of interesting since most people have long since dismissed online comics as a realm where any kind of money can be made. Though this is probably outside the reach of virtually everyone.

The comic itself is here. The kickstarter link is at the top of the page.
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Re: Twokinds raised $200k on Kickstarter

Postby Kisai on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:35 pm

Terotrous wrote:I thought this was somewhat relevant as Twokinds is a Webcomic and it actually started on Keenspace (holy crap, I remember when the creator first posted here asking for impressions of his comic. I'm so old.).

Anyway, Twokinds was doing a Kickstarter campaign for printed copies of their books and raised a staggering $200k. They actually made their initial $25k in one day. I guess there may actually be more money in relatively successful comics than people thought.

In case you're not aware, Kickstarter essentially allows you to pledge money towards a goal (book printing, in this case), where your money doesn't donated get "spent" unless the project succeeds. You also usually pledge your money towards some kind of reward, in this case the books and various other goodies, so in some ways it's a glorified way to preorder something where the creator gets your money up front.

I thought it was kind of interesting since most people have long since dismissed online comics as a realm where any kind of money can be made. Though this is probably outside the reach of virtually everyone.

The comic itself is here. The kickstarter link is at the top of the page.
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/

Actually now that the kickstarter is over, I've removed twokinds kickstarter from the header.

Twokinds went from keenspace 20031022 to independant 20081010 to keenspot in march 2011
Twokinds, in feb 2006 was the 5th most popular comic on comicgenesis.

The 2003-2008 segment is still has a copy on the CG server, but it hard redirects to the keenspot site.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby McDuffies on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:02 am

I was thinking of applying DuffWriter for this, but it takes ages for me to get of my butt and get anything done.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Yeahduff on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I've got my lawyer's speed dial at the ready.
I won't be the stars in your dark night.
Yeahduff
Resident Stoic (Moderator)

Postby Warren on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 am

I'm going to do a Kickstarter for just being awesome.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:41 am

Ongoing project: Warren.
"Now how much do you pay me to read this book?"
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Return to General Discussion