What can't work (easily) in web-comickry

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: What can't work (easily) in web-comickry

Postby McDuffies on Fri May 11, 2012 9:04 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Especially since so few people are good at drawing an action scene so that it's visually itneresting to begin with. Too often I see flat motionless drawings or too many details that distract.

I have only ever seen a few comics action scenes that had any effect on me (even being on a site dedicated to action comics). Action more than anything suffers from lack of motion in comics. And it's funny, because like 90% mainstream comics published in USA are basically action comics. They draw big splash pages and try to experiment with angles and inking and whatnot, and I keep asking myself "do they not see that this doesn't work?" "Is the entire industry in cahoots to pretend that this does work?" "Why is there a notion that just making a panel bigger suddenly makes it more dynamic?" I have seen some great action scenes which means they're possible, but in general they fail to make me excited, to keep me on the edge of my seat the way good scenes in action movies would. To me they're just a filler that ungracefully makes story shorter.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 am

McDuffies wrote: To me they're just a filler that ungracefully makes story shorter.

This is the big problem I've had with the DC reboot, six months in and f**k all story, most issues I've bothered to read are like 4 pages story 20 pages drawn out fight.

Not to mention they threw away most of the DC feel to become a 90s Marvel clone.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby MixedMyth on Fri May 11, 2012 11:52 am

Yeah, if I ever do anything like a splash page, I usually try to use it for a big reveal rather than for action. Or if I want to elaborate on a moment that is REALLY supposed to mean something.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain

Postby McDuffies on Fri May 11, 2012 12:25 pm

I think that splash pages never have the effect that artists intend. I know so many comic readers (me included, often) who just glance over it. Reader sticks with the page long enough to absorb basic information from it, which usually translates to that you need to give him more text to read, or otherwise a lot of events (which usually translates to more panels) but if you have one big splash panel, they don't just stick around and admire it's artistry, they' see what the panel is telling in broad strokes and move on. They might later come back to admire how the page is done, but while reading the comic, splash panel doesn't have intended impact of instantly making things appear grander, larger than life.
I mean the thing lower on this page (not for kids) does, but that's because it won't let you look away!
(of course we all know that splash panels are usually actually made to cut down on production time and because they reach higher value when selling originals)

RobboAKAscooby wrote:This is the big problem I've had with the DC reboot, six months in and f**k all story, most issues I've bothered to read are like 4 pages story 20 pages drawn out fight.

If they're anything like superheroes used to be since like forever, 17 or those 15 pages are folks floating in mid-air and exchanging witty quips.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Previous

Return to General Discussion