where dey at

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: where dey at

Postby K-Dawg on Fri May 18, 2012 1:55 pm

I understand why people worry about it but then I wonder do they really think their lives are so bad that they're worried something terrible will be posted on Facebook that absolutely ruins them?

I have 400+ pics with me in them on Facebook and I can only think of maybe a handful that I wouldn't want my parents or family to see. I also don't care to post about my life much on it. I normally just quote songs, make fun of one of my close buddies, post videos and talk about first world problems.

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby McDuffies on Fri May 18, 2012 4:30 pm

It's not about being afraid that some information will ruin you. It's simply just that some people are by nature private and feel uncomfortable when certain kind of information about them is publicly available. Why cause discomfort to people? Because of something that's essentially supposed to be an entertainment site?
Also, it's not that much an issue of your parents or friends seeing your embarrassing photos as much as of complete strangers, or even acquaintances whom you don't like, having access to any of your photos. I already know a few cases that could very well be classified as stalking, and yes, girls have more reasons to worry about that than guys.

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I know the "reads the shit you're posting/reading to provide relevant advertisement" thing isn't new, but it's hella creepy. Idk why facebook thinks I want fetal development replicas ._. I honestly have no idea what the context is that it's getting that from.

Though gmail does that too. Fb can go waay more creepy. For instance, if you don't have a profile picture, it will constantly ask you "do you want to put this picture to profile", offering you images that you never uploaded and sometimes don't even remember taking (people rarely remember all the group pictures they participated in). Now that can be supremely creepy.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri May 18, 2012 5:17 pm

McDuffies wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:I know the "reads the shit you're posting/reading to provide relevant advertisement" thing isn't new, but it's hella creepy. Idk why facebook thinks I want fetal development replicas ._. I honestly have no idea what the context is that it's getting that from.

Though gmail does that too. Fb can go waay more creepy. For instance, if you don't have a profile picture, it will constantly ask you "do you want to put this picture to profile", offering you images that you never uploaded and sometimes don't even remember taking (people rarely remember all the group pictures they participated in). Now that can be supremely creepy.

Ugh, yeah. I haven't uploaded a large number of photos in a while, does facebook still try to tag people for you in the pictures you upload? What a gross feature.

The invasive advertising is good for a laugh now and then at least, like when I'd been dating my boyfriend for about 3 months and got an ad whose text was "Raising Jewish children?" :o D: Whoa, slow down there, bucko!!!
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mo on Fri May 18, 2012 10:23 pm

McDuffies wrote:Also, it's not that much an issue of your parents or friends seeing your embarrassing photos as much as of complete strangers, or even acquaintances whom you don't like, having access to any of your photos.

Well, strangers yes, but also clients, employers, or simply people whom you have only just met and who you don't want to get a wrong impression of you before they have gotten to know you.

While this has never happened to me personally, I am quite disturbed by what I've read seems to become an increasingly common thing for employers to do with job applicants in the States.

(But luckily the only people who would have potentially embarrassing pictures of me aren't active on FB.)
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby Warren on Sat May 19, 2012 4:07 am

That's a good reason to not only untag yourself from other's photos, but to also keep your privacy settings really ratcheted down.

I pretty much restrict everything to my "friends", and "coworkers" get less access. Last time I checked you can't find me at all if you aren't in those two categories.

Plus, with a last name that is actually a common first name they pretty much have their work cut out for them finding me at all. :wink:
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Sat May 19, 2012 4:43 am

The only time people who aren't my friend can see anything about me is when I get tagged in another person's picture. Otherwise, I share nothing. NOTHING. I also don't add someone I haven't personally met, except for some of the CG people I haven't physically interacted with at a cookout.

Even then some of the people on my list are on Limited because they're still enlisted and don't need to know everything I say or do.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sat May 19, 2012 5:43 am

I should probably change my settings to not send messages in serbian to non-serbian people.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby IVstudios on Sat May 19, 2012 7:08 am

I've always seen Facebook as just a way of sharing and finding cool things on the internet and maybe a sort of public photo album. I don't even really know how one would become obsessed with it, no one I know is so interesting I have to read everything they say.

The only thing about it that annoys me is I wish I could find out how the hell to stop if from sending every little thing to my iPhone. How do you get it to stop sending all your notifications? I've turned off notification on my phone for everything except when I get tagged, but it still beeps at me for every notification that goes into my "notifications" dropdown.

Kisai wrote:I DARE you all to drop your facebook profile pic into google images and see what you get.

Dare accepted. Results: boring.
I guess I'm not interesting enough to stalk/plagiarize.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Sat May 19, 2012 10:17 am

McDuffies wrote:Though gmail does that too. Fb can go waay more creepy. For instance, if you don't have a profile picture, it will constantly ask you "do you want to put this picture to profile", offering you images that you never uploaded and sometimes don't even remember taking (people rarely remember all the group pictures they participated in). Now that can be supremely creepy.

I solved that by uploading a blank image.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Bustertheclown on Sat May 19, 2012 11:16 am

IVstudios wrote:
Kisai wrote:I DARE you all to drop your facebook profile pic into google images and see what you get.

Dare accepted. Results: boring.
I guess I'm not interesting enough to stalk/plagiarize.

Dare accepted. Results: nonexistent. It's actually kinda amazing how little the internet cares about me.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mastermind on Sat May 19, 2012 11:32 am

My FB profile pic is the same as my avatar. Hard to stalk the easter bunnies.
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby Mercury Hat on Sat May 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Yeah, I haven't done much lately but tie the knot with War. A crippling case of the lazies has kept me from drawing much, but that'll change one day. I swear. Yeah. I'm on Twitter, but that's about it. I use my Tumblr account to just follow other people, I don't post much.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby K-Dawg on Sat May 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Hiiii Merc!

*waves*

Shocking news Angry D. Monkey
K-Dawg
I wanna LIVE

Postby Terotrous on Sat May 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Mercury Hat wrote:Yeah, I haven't done much lately but tie the knot with War. A crippling case of the lazies has kept me from drawing much, but that'll change one day. I swear. Yeah. I'm on Twitter, but that's about it. I use my Tumblr account to just follow other people, I don't post much.

Belated congratulations!

Also, you're married now, so you're allowed to be lazy. Hard work is for lonely single people :D
Last edited by Terotrous on Sat May 19, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Terotrous wrote: Hard work is for lonely single people :D

It keeps the sobbing at bay.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Terotrous on Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Bustertheclown wrote:It keeps the sobbing at bay.

I thought it was because we hoped our talent and diligence would one day impress a prospective made.

Hah hah hah! *SOB*
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun May 20, 2012 6:48 am

Merc! Congratulations!
Out of curiousity, where did you choose to live?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Mercury Hat on Sun May 20, 2012 2:30 pm

We're in America, it was cheaper and easier to do the move this way and it's cheaper to live here.
ImageImage
<Legostar> merc is all knowing, all seeing, and not caring
Mercury Hat
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)
Iron Lady (ForumAdmin)

Postby McDuffies on Sun May 20, 2012 2:37 pm

No more Bath, eh?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Laemkral on Sun May 20, 2012 4:15 pm

First, congrats to Merc and War. Mazel tov and many blissful decades together for the two of you.

Second,

Terotrous wrote:
Bustertheclown wrote:It keeps the sobbing at bay.

I thought it was because we hoped our talent and diligence would one day impress a prospective made.

Hah hah hah! *SOB*

Oh it's all about impressing a mate. Nothing makes a woman quiver more than these five words: "steady paycheck with regular promotions". Well, excepting if you add on these three words: "with medical insurance". Please ladies, single file. ;)
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion