where dey at

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: where dey at

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Wed May 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Phact0rri wrote:I thought it was an amorphous ball of Light. that would a whole other issue. Not even sure if its corporeal

rkolter puts the "real" in corporeal
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Prettysenshi on Wed May 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Laemkral told me about this thread. It warmed my heart a little :D

Kind of ridiculous to know that some people have been active in this forum for 12 years or so, and that they made long lasting friendships that have evolved, for some, into relationships and even families. It's crazy to me that I was 15 when I joined CG and now I'm going on 24 and I'm still friends with several of the people I met here. The internet is a crazy, beautiful thing.

and it's terrible to hear what happened to EmergencyExit. I hope she's doing okay.

Errr.....Yes, if anyone cares, I don't draw anymore. It was something I did when I was pretty young but I'm happy I did it. I think I learned a lot about drawing in general. I have completely fell out of the webcomics scene though. I dont' even know what's popular, new or exciting in the community anymore. Now I just chill with friends and have a life. I could never go back to the days of spending 8 hours in front of my computer with my wacom tablet.

I still keep up with some CGers, mainly through facebook or gchat! If you want to keep in touch outside of CG, message me! I'd love to know how everyone is doing and how everyone has been.

I am hoping to visit some of the Toronto crew this year. That would be lovely.

I'm glad everyone is doing well!! :3
Prettysenshi
Bork Bork Bork

Postby Terotrous on Wed May 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Prettysenshi wrote:Kind of ridiculous to know that some people have been active in this forum for 12 years or so, and that they made long lasting friendships that have evolved, for some, into relationships and even families. It's crazy to me that I was 15 when I joined CG and now I'm going on 24 and I'm still friends with several of the people I met here. The internet is a crazy, beautiful thing.

I know, this is kind of the reason I went back to working on my comic. It feels kind of like giving back to the community.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

seems everyone Copes just fine without mo err me!

Postby Mo on Thu May 17, 2012 2:11 am

*feels left out* :(

By the way even though I've moved to the UK over two years ago I haven't met ANY of the many UK CG-oldbies in all this time. I think they don't like me. :shifty: Or maybe because I haven't really stayed in touch with anyone, which is a bit sad actually.

I have a boring full-time office job at the moment but am now doing some freelance work for a publisher. I also study psychology from home (Open University) and am considering going into art therapy or counseling. Have I mentioned I have also become an agnostic and now my superreligious relatives and former friends shun me completely? It's been a bumpy ride and I wish I had kept more in touch with the open-minded lovely people I've met here and pursued art and illustration a lot more than I did.

I have a few CG peeps on facebook e.g. the Kolters, Neko, CJ, McDuffies (humph!) and others but am not massively active on there either.

On the bright side I've been with my Englishman for over two years and life is pretty good, now. Like many others I have pretty much moved on from the webcomics community, although I still make other art and I still read about a handful of webcomics.

Anyways, good to see a few old familiar faces around here, and I hope to stay in touch a little bit.

Oh and *noogies Cope*
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Children should be seen and not heard. And not noogieing.

Postby Cope on Thu May 17, 2012 4:45 am

Mo wrote:*feels left out* :(

Well, maybe if you stood where I can see y-AAUGHGHPPFHGHFGFdshfsfsdfs*is noogied*
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Re: seems everyone Copes just fine without mo err me!

Postby Kisai on Thu May 17, 2012 7:28 am

Mo wrote:I have a few CG peeps on facebook e.g. the Kolters, Neko, CJ, McDuffies (humph!) and others but am not massively active on there either.

I refuse to use Facebook. FB feels like asking the cyberbogeyman to dinner and then asking it to not to eat you when you go to sleep.

Mo wrote:Have I mentioned I have also become an agnostic and now my superreligious relatives and former friends shun me completely? It's been a bumpy ride and I wish I had kept more in touch with the open-minded lovely people I've met here and pursued art and illustration a lot more than I did.

Phht... were they really your friends then? I've gone through at least three cycles of "I thought you guys were my friends" and after the third time I was like, forget it, If it's too hard to stay in contact, then it's not meant to be. (For reference, I don't keep in touch with anyone. Not high school, not ex-workplaces, not irc channel hangouts.) It makes me sad if they meant something to me, but ultimately I can't wait forever for things to happen.

For me, I miss the CG community, but I feel that I'm put in the position of not being allowed to say things since I'm paid to do work on keenspot, and it's too easy for me to say something that I'll regret later.

When I go to local comic conventions, I usually introduce myself as "I do tech work for keenspot" and if they don't clue in, that's the only hint they'll ever get. As it is, I barely break even, when the dollar is at par and I think I probably have about two months (at the rate the exchange rate is moving) before I'll have to find something to complement that.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Re: seems everyone Copes just fine without mo err me!

Postby McDuffies on Thu May 17, 2012 7:54 am

Kisai wrote:I refuse to use Facebook. FB feels like asking the cyberbogeyman to dinner and then asking it to not to eat you when you go to sleep.

Word. I try to keep substantial information about myself away from facebook, but it's usually other people that keep spilling them out, posting photos of me and that kind of stuff.

Phht... were they really your friends then? I've gone through at least three cycles of "I thought you guys were my friends" and after the third time I was like, forget it, If it's too hard to stay in contact, then it's not meant to be. (For reference, I don't keep in touch with anyone. Not high school, not ex-workplaces, not irc channel hangouts.) It makes me sad if they meant something to me, but ultimately I can't wait forever for things to happen.

Eeh, friendships are a dynamic thing, they shift, people float away from you and you always stay connected the most to people who are conveniently within reach. That is a bit sad, but then it's also a bit good because you get to meet new people. On the other hand, I may be weird about it, since I pretty much lost all my friends when I was a kid and failed to get new ones for a while, so I don't have any old friends from childhood or anything.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Thu May 17, 2012 8:07 am

I like having ze fake account on Facebook. That way it doesn't matter what I say!
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Warren on Thu May 17, 2012 11:01 am

It's really the best way to keep in touch with people you never hung out with in the first place.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laemkral on Thu May 17, 2012 12:56 pm

I have too many friends in too many places all over the world to not use Facebook if I wanted to have any semblance of a social life. Had this been 20 years ago, I'd be in regular communication with maybe 5 or 6 people at best, including family members.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby LibertyCabbage on Thu May 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi, Senshi and Mo!
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Fri May 18, 2012 11:27 am

Laemkral wrote:I have too many friends in too many places all over the world to not use Facebook if I wanted to have any semblance of a social life. Had this been 20 years ago, I'd be in regular communication with maybe 5 or 6 people at best, including family members.

The thing is, I don't like Facebook because it's invasive, and even when you're not doing anything on it, other people are doing things to you. I won't put a picture up purely because of google images. Go ahead, I DARE you all to drop your facebook profile pic into google images and see what you get.

I've dropped pics people I figured were bots on twitter into google images only to find the origin dating site they were stolen from.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Phact0rri on Fri May 18, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm pretty okay with people using my pictures. I mean it is common knowledge that everyone has access to view and save a file, that there's a chance they may reuse it.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby Laemkral on Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Things I learned by googling my name: I am not the primary person with my name. There's this website, Fools Gold, and the owner shares my name and it's some forums where people post about video games and anime and whatnot. Also, he's usurped my title as Punch King, as bestowed by Penny Arcade. That kind of upsets me.
Heed these words: I do not draw. Photos if you're lucky.
Laemkral
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri May 18, 2012 12:45 pm

Laemkral wrote:Things I learned by googling my name: I am not the primary person with my name. There's this website, Fools Gold, and the owner shares my name and it's some forums where people post about video games and anime and whatnot. Also, he's usurped my title as Punch King, as bestowed by Penny Arcade. That kind of upsets me.

use your punch king powers, don't let him get away with that
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri May 18, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't mind terribly having my pictures on facebook, but I do mind that people generally lack bedside manners to ask me whether I want my pictures on there. I know for a fact that lots of people don't want that, and I have problems with culture that just assumes that revealing other's people's personal information to general public is a perfectly acceptable thing to do. I consider that if I'm doing comics on internet or playing music, I am implicitly giving up on some of my anonymity, but I do think that people in general have right to that anonymity. Not to be judgmental, I made some social blunders of that kind early on, but lots of people actually think it's rude if you ask them to remove your pictures.
Even then, I've made some wild photos in my time, and every now and then one of them floats out on facebook. Do I want images of me drunk, goofing off on some party? Not more than I'd want to put my credit card number on there.

Also I am worried about what future might bring in that regard. I think that most of people don't realize just how much of one's personal information leaks to internet and how easy it would be to gather enough about anyone for any kind of abuse. Facebook is the main part of the problem because people consider their facebook accounts their private space, while it's actually a public space mimicking private (for starters, it'd be very easy for someone to access your profile, it's sufficient to send friend requests to all your friends, there's always at least a few who accept friend requests indiscriminately). I am worried because this behaviour is escalating, and so is danger to one's privacy.

I never blame technology, to me technology is always ambivalent and it's people who use powerful technology lackadaisically that are at fault. But Facebook comes as close to "bad technology" as possible. It's marketing-driven, invasive, abusive, demanding programming (latest pet peeve: timelines which demands you keep being active all the time, or else you return to an empty profile after a week; basically rendering all activity you have on facebook useless unless you're on there every day); I use facebook for people; it's system frustrates me and if it wasn't for people, I would have left fb long ago. But it's system is becoming more and more abusive, relying that I'll have to take the abuse if I want to stay in contact with my friends, who are now using fb as the main channel to inform people of important events such as weddings or births.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri May 18, 2012 1:31 pm

McDuffies wrote:I use facebook for people; it's system frustrates me and if it wasn't for people, I would have left fb long ago. But it's system is becoming more and more abusive, relying that I'll have to take the abuse if I want to stay in contact with my friends, who are now using fb as the main channel to inform people of important events such as weddings or births.

Same.

I know the "reads the shit you're posting/reading to provide relevant advertisement" thing isn't new, but it's hella creepy. Idk why facebook thinks I want fetal development replicas ._. I honestly have no idea what the context is that it's getting that from.

I'm growing more disenchanted with it as time goes on, though I feel like now that I'm out of college I won't need it so much anymore- anyone who I would want to hang out with, I have their phone number or can get it from someone else, and I don't need to see if people from class are messaging me for help or anything.

I never thought I'd say I miss just using plain old instant messenger and relying on gossip to figure out where people are with their lives.

The saddest part is most of my friends are on the same page as me in terms of not really wanting to use it anymore, but since like McD said it's the dominant mode of communication for some people, there are really weird consequences involved in "breaking away" from facebook, like people getting mad at you for it (??) or missing important messages since no one calls people anymore**. Besides my flatmate's graduation party, I can't remember the last time I got invited to a party that wasn't done via FB event invite. Or, hell, the last time I sent out non-FB invites to an actual party.

And I wish the interface would stop changing*. My parents are finally getting used to the way everything's set up, but once timeline takes over they'll be lost again and I'll have to help them more.

I was never a person "addicted" to facebook, you know the type who check their thing every few minutes. I don't really use it as a way to pass time unless I'm looking at photos or something.

*I know this will never ever ever happen. I mostly wish the changes weren't a) useless b) typically confusing c) often ugly.
**Is this a generational thing, because it seems like all of my friends hate talking on the phone. Like in those words exactly. Some are okay with calling me, but are scared of placing orders for takeout and stuff like that, or don't even like conversational calls because of the timelag makes it awkward. I guess I could see it being awkward, but I never cared too much about it. I've lost count of how many people hate talking on the phone.
Last edited by VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri May 18, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Bustertheclown on Fri May 18, 2012 1:33 pm

I use the Facebook photos of my friends to make paintings and other artworks.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mo on Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

I would say there's a few reasons I ever use facebook:

- To get news from people who never seem to write emails or call on the phone anymore.
- The group for my uni module is a good place to vent or discuss course work with fellow students every now and again. Since my university is an online university I very rarely meet any of them in person.
- I am secretly scared of being left behind by technology and wake up to find I don't understand how the world works anymore.

I will say this though: I do have two facebook profiles, both of which I use for quite different purposes. I guess this is my way of preserving a certain degree of "privacy".

On the bright side, none of those closest to me are obsessed with FB - most of my family or old friends aren't even on it. That way there is little danger of embarrassing pictures of me ever being published. My political career is safe. <o/
Mo
Cartoon Villain (GTC)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri May 18, 2012 1:48 pm

[quote="VeryCuddlyCornpone"
I know the "reads the shit you're posting/reading to provide relevant advertisement" thing isn't new, but it's hella creepy. Idk why facebook thinks I want fetal development replicas ._. I honestly have no idea what the context is that it's getting that from.[/quote]

???
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion