Internet time-wasters.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Internet time-wasters.

Postby McDuffies on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:22 am

I support that idea if it fits my busy schedule.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby robotthepirate on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Laemkral wrote:Come to the chat....you know you want to.

We should set aside a "chat day" in the future and have everyone come hang out in the IRC for a little bit.

If I'm not working a shift and we can decide a time when we're not half in bed then I'm game.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:27 pm

robotthepirate wrote: a time when we're not half in bed

But that's the best time
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 pm

I fully endorse this chat day, if I can make it work.

Clarification... making it work as in scheduale... I got IRC locked down. heh.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sat May 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Oh god

you guys

Help me

I'm reading a thread on the SomethingAwful forums, it's almost 200 pages long and I've been reading it for hours and am not even on page 40, but it's so addicting and i can't stop oh god my eyes are in such pain HOW DO PEOPLE SPEND SO MANY HOURS PLAYING COMPUTER OR VIDEO GAMES WITHOUT THEIR EYS WITHERING AWAY TO FINE SANDS

i keep telling myself "just one more page" but then iw ant to get to a page that ends in a 0 or 5 so i say "okay well that's only four more than where i am now" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :evil:

if i wake up dead tomorrow tlel my loves i familied them
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby robotthepirate on Sat May 12, 2012 11:27 pm

Google: "online help for forum addiction", there's a really good support community, I'm on there every day

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:if i wake up dead tomorrow tlel my loves i familied them

Ah, that dreadful moment when you have to admit to the guy you've been seeing that you're really his mum.
Image Image Image Image
robotthepirate
Regular Poster

Postby Bustertheclown on Sat May 12, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm afraid there's no helping you. That's the hidden treachery of long forum threads. You've been lost to the rip tide, and we can only watch helplessly as you get sucked deeper and deeper into it.
"Just because we're amateurs, doesn't mean our comics have to be amateurish." -McDuffies

http://hastilyscribbled.comicgenesis.com
Bustertheclown
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mastermind on Sun May 13, 2012 12:50 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:HOW DO PEOPLE SPEND SO MANY HOURS PLAYING COMPUTER OR VIDEO GAMES WITHOUT THEIR EYS WITHERING AWAY TO FINE SANDS

Lower the glow of your screen as much as you can
If it's dark, turn a light on, so you're not staring into the brightest light source in the room
You know you got it right when the first thing that starts to hurt after 10 hours is your butt.
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby Warren on Sun May 13, 2012 6:54 am

I can't believe nobody mentioned Reddit.

It's like /., Digg, kittens, and people waaaay too dogmatic about their atheism all in one! God, you go in for a couple minutes and suddenly the morning is gone.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun May 13, 2012 9:37 am

Last time I got addicted to a giant forum thread was when there was that facebook where a link showed everyone their facebook photo, so people kept coming and complaining "how dare you show my photo" not realising that they're the only ones who see their photo... I remember reading a croatian forum, but I don't know if any such english forum thread existed.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 am

McDuffies wrote:Last time I got addicted to a giant forum thread was when there was that facebook where a link showed everyone their facebook photo, so people kept coming and complaining "how dare you show my photo" not realising that they're the only ones who see their photo...

:lol: :lol: That's fantastic. :lol: :lol:
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby McDuffies on Mon May 14, 2012 7:47 pm

It was a pretty awesome thing. Thread went something like "Look, I found the ugliest profile picture on facebook!" and then the whole thing went viral and you had constant stream of people incoming because they were tricked by a friend and complaining and threatening with lawsuits or otherwise trying to joke about it, or saying things like "well the lightning was bad", but not realizing that it was a trick. Mostly, those people didn't stop to think and find something suspicious about someone finding their perfectly ordinary photo to be the ugliest. And then people kept coming and coming because everyone would see the first post and nobody bothered to read further, and forum regulars had to keep explaining the trick all over again, sometimes it would take pages of explaining for someone to figure out, sometimes not even that was enough. So you had like two guys arguing because each one thought that it was his picture and that the other guy was messing with him. but that's the top of the iceberg, basically the whole trick was like a magnet for weirdos of all kinds, you wouldn't believe. Which is why it had like hundreds of pages and never got boring, you'd always have some new weird person with a different take on why people thought their picture was ugly.
(Lots of folks I know got tricked to visiting too, some say were initially startled at first but then several following posts would clue you in that it was a trick of some sort. I always have that altered radiohead mascot as photo, so I didn't even get a chance to be tricked)
Then Facebook noticed it and fixed the hole. I was hoping someone knew some english forum this was pulled.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon May 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Wow, that's beautiful.

Things like that make me think that some people are constantly standing right directly on the edge of getting offended, and get spooked into jumping at the slightest provocation. Like people constantly looking over their shoulder every instant of their lives, waiting for someone to "get them."
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Tue May 15, 2012 2:21 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Wow, that's beautiful.

Things like that make me think that some people are constantly standing right directly on the edge of getting offended, and get spooked into jumping at the slightest provocation. Like people constantly looking over their shoulder every instant of their lives, waiting for someone to "get them."

Well there are troll sites that shall remain nameless that intentionally provoke people. They don't like it when someone takes them seriously and gets their internet cut off. Wheaton's rule applies. SA and Reddit typically borders the line between trolling and being serious, which is why people flip out. As a point of interest, never google your name unless you're going on a fishing expedition, because you'll certainly find that one post you made a decade ago that you regret making.

(I get requests every so often from someone wanting to wipe their CG site out because they're embarrassed NOW of what they uploaded when they were in high school.)
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby McDuffies on Tue May 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Oh I'm embarrassed by most of things I've ever said or done. But I've learned that people tend to remember their own embarrassments while not caring that much about other people's.

Wow, that's beautiful.

I was merely wondering "how comes they didn't get it? How comes they didn't get it after it was explained to them? How comes they didn't get it after it was explained to them several times?"
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Wed May 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Kind of reminds me of this Goth meme, community from back in the Live Journal days. It was that fine line between hilarious and really mean. People would find hillariously bad pictures of Goths, many of which had WAY to many pictures, of themselves to have ever faced reality. People would get so angry and upset when they found out their picture was poked fun at. I remember some "fake Model" came on once when someone put her picture in the old "give me my buckkit" meme, and brought someone who was supposed to be her lawyer in on the discussion.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby Lostmind on Mon May 21, 2012 10:49 am

Hulu and Netflicks watching tv series like Raising Hope, Black Books, The IT crowd, and Green Wing. Oh also Persona 4.
Lostmind
Regular Poster

Postby McDuffies on Mon May 21, 2012 12:01 pm

What, no Community?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Warren on Tue May 22, 2012 4:48 am

That's what Usenet is for.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ahaugen on Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Warren wrote:That's what Usenet is for.

Usenet still exists?
Read The Times-Picayune
Comic Genesis' daily source for news since 2009

A Lamestream Media Company
Ahaugen
Cartoon Hero