How are you doing, comic-wise?

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: How are you doing, comic-wise?

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:06 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Going through my archive because I've been told, and have subsequently realized for myself, that there are some pacing issues, especially in chapters where I was stringing out lots of short pages instead of fewer longer pages, making it really annoying to read through chapters because you have to do more clicking than necessary and it slows down the pace of the story. So I'm going to combine a whole shitton of pages and reduce my pagecount which will hopefully inspire more people to read the hwole archive, and even combine some of the middle chapters because I can.

Fukya fukya fukya gettin shit DUN like a DUNSHITDOER

Yeah pacing can be a bitch.
I'm trying to keep a decent grasp on pacing with Flying Tigers but it's going slower than I'd like work-wise.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Terotrous on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Well, I managed to draw 5 panels today, which is good progress, but this strip still isn't done.

Also, Dragons are hard to draw. I think I eventually managed to come up with something that looks tolerable, but it took a fair bit more effort than I usually put into this stuff.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 am

Maybe if NamEnhahmer stayed off the hookah they'd get more comics done :D .
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 am

Pacing has a really different feel when you're reading batches of a comic from when you're reading regularly. I used to complain how webcomics are much lower and more watered down than print comics, but now I figure, webcomic's methods allow them to be more leisurely with their pacing than printed comics. Specially if you don't intend to put them into printed collection one day, you can get crazy and write a glacially paced story and noone complain as long as that's the way you wanted it to turn out. One day you can publish a CD with your collection and the whole archive will probably take like 1/7 of space.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 am

Terotrous wrote:Well, I managed to draw 5 panels today, which is good progress, but this strip still isn't done.

Also, Dragons are hard to draw. I think I eventually managed to come up with something that looks tolerable, but it took a fair bit more effort than I usually put into this stuff.

Dragons are not hard. You got to start with an "S" shape. Then you can add a human arm, some wings... a little fire! I think there's an instructional video on the web. :)
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 am

Phact0rri wrote:
Terotrous wrote:Well, I managed to draw 5 panels today, which is good progress, but this strip still isn't done.

Dragons are not hard. You got to start with an "S" shape. Then you can add a human arm, some wings... a little fire! I think there's an instructional video on the web. :)

burninating the peasants

burninating the countryside
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Terotrous on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:01 pm

Phact0rri wrote:

But whenever I try that method, the S stands for sucks.

I miss the glory days of H*R. Oddly, it seems to correlate with the decline of webcomics. The net as a whole is much less funny these days.
ImageImage
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 am

Terotrous wrote: The net as a whole is much less funny these days.

I blame memes.
Seriously when a joke is dead they keep standing it back up.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mastermind on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 am

Phact0rri wrote:Dragons are not hard. You got to start with an "S" shape. Then you can add a human arm, some wings... a little fire! I think there's an instructional video on the web. :)

no, no, no, you draw a dog with no ears and then add spikes.

Back on topic, my comic is ALMOST up-to-date, but I've had a sudden revelation: it sucks. How the hell did I manage to ruin it so fast? Oh, well. Maybe it'll get better.
Mastermind
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:03 pm

RobboAKAscooby wrote:
Terotrous wrote: The net as a whole is much less funny these days.

I blame memes.
Seriously when a joke is dead they keep standing it back up.

Leinternet is no lefunny? *runs away... quickly*
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby McDuffies on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Mastermind wrote:Back on topic, my comic is ALMOST up-to-date, but I've had a sudden revelation: it sucks. How the hell did I manage to ruin it so fast? Oh, well. Maybe it'll get better.

If I had a dime for every time this happened to me.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:55 am

McDuffies wrote:
Mastermind wrote:Back on topic, my comic is ALMOST up-to-date, but I've had a sudden revelation: it sucks. How the hell did I manage to ruin it so fast? Oh, well. Maybe it'll get better.

If I had a dime for every time this happened to me.

cause you run your ideas into the ground. got to get out while your still popular! Look how it worked for Nirvana!
Phact0rri

Postby McDuffies on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Hmm, either that or I suck as a writer.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Terotrous on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Phact0rri wrote:cause you run your ideas into the ground. got to get out while your still popular! Look how it worked for Nirvana!

I did that with my comic. Of course, then I made the mistake of continuing it and now no one reads it anymore.
ImageImage
Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Postby Risky on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Terotrous wrote:
Phact0rri wrote:cause you run your ideas into the ground. got to get out while your still popular! Look how it worked for Nirvana!

I did that with my comic. Of course, then I made the mistake of continuing it and now no one reads it anymore.

I hear ya.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Phact0rri on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Terotrous wrote:

I miss drawing comics, but I haven't really been able to get behind any of my ideas past a few pages.
Phact0rri

Postby Dave Against The Machine on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:19 pm

I haven't drawn a comic since 2008...fml
Dave Against The Machine
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Spent a good long while creating a new and beautiful navigation banner for the top of my site. The problem is that it is too big to have it be there at the top of the whole archive when people read through it, they'd have to keep scrolling. I have a solution for this, but it is quarter to one, and i have class tomorrow morning. I have fought my battle today. Time to slep./
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:51 am

Dave Against The Machine wrote:I haven't drawn a comic since 2008...fml

yes I think its been 2009 or 2010 unless we are counting jams, and one off blog comic type things.
Phact0rri

Postby peterabnny on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:39 pm

New comic out, now to see about continuing to work on site changes...
"I've come to accept a lot of what's wrong with this world, and there's not much I can do about it." - Johnny "Rotten" Lydon

Old school comic. New school flavor. Updated monthly.
http://www.crittersonline.org
peterabnny
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion